Birthday gift - suggestions please

Wermland

My girlfriend 33th birthday is up in a copule of weeks and I would like some suggestions on a nice gift, Im usually bad in finding gifts but now It feel even worse

We have been together for a year and she still lives in T., I'll coming there on the birthday a couple of days before so I have not so much time to look for a gift locally

She says she does't want anything but, of course gold I understand is nice. Since we have not been together for so long, a baht gold chain does not feel right, maybe 1/4 baht but is it too small, or should you exclude gold entirely?
appreciate some suggestions please

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gold might be a bit odd to give a young woman, especially if nuptials are not yet in the air.

Thai women are gaga over brand name. If your budget runs to it buy her a Louis Vuitton handbag or a Gucci purse or Jimmy Choo shoes and she'll be purring like a pussycat. Perfumes and makeup items are less expensive if you know what her tastes are.

However, best would be to let her choose herself. You say you might not have time but if you're going to be meeting in Bkk, you're never too far from an upscale mall like Paragon, Emporium et al. Just tell her your budget, take her to one and watch her go nuts.

Edited by Bang Bang

Got my Mrs a blender (which was really for our daughter's food). Another gift wasn't strictly a gift but the timing coincided with her birthday...that was a puppy for the family.  

From what I saw back home and living here, Thai really couldn't care less if you give a gift or not - as usually it is their work friends who make a big deal out of their birthdays. Maybe just take them out for dinner or have a small party at home with friends/family. 

Speaking to other people in our city we know who date farangs and the Mrs looking at the Thai forums, the social media generation really couldn't care less about the actual gold, just more 'showing it off' to their friends on social media (which could explain other comments about it having to be a certain price). So I would be sure I knew the Mrs pretty well to buy something like gold as I would want it received for the right reasons. 

Edited by wildewillie89

31 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

If it were to be gold my experience is that anything less than 18k is considered cheap skate territory ( am I showin my cards here). I learned that after buying a gold ring back home for a Thai Lady.

Gold, money, or both.

Will make her very happy.

A car is better.

A house is the best

Sandals are on sale at Tesco Lotus for 199 baht. I opted for a better made pair at 350 baht since they were for me.  They have some bedazzled ones that are sure to  delight her.  Also, I was in Power Buy and noticed that Whirlpool and Siemans washers are on sale. What gal wouldn't want a new washing machine?  :sleepy:

Started buy my Wife Pandora chain and pendants for the chain.  They are really good quality and quite diverse and the beauty of this is you can buy her a couple more each Birthday/Christmas/New Year/Thank you and the charms will mount up on her wrist and eventaully be worth quite a lot.  They are also highly popular and a bit design, with all the Ladies.  I started buying them for my lovely Wife a couple of years ago and her Friends were so taken with them, they now all have loads of charms and keep comparing them when they meet for coffee etc.   I also just bought her for Christmas the latest Samsung Mobile phone - considering how obsessed Thais are over mobiles, you can guess who was a very popular boy, well for a couple of days anyway!

A simple thing that she will like is to take her out to a fancy dinner.  The riverboat cruise of Baiyoke tower outside if it is warmer.

Mine seems to like that as it is nice.  The other thing, of course, is flowers.  I personally would wait until you are fully sure of the lady before spending on jewelry.  Playing a little of the cheap charlie could save you in the long run.

Unfortunately because you are not an in country boyfriend it is hard to tell how serious the girl is.

Just my opinion,  based on 1 year,  is gold or cash.  Based on time frame not too big the bigger the bigger the expectation since one year isn't much to based a relationship since you aren't here full time?  To Thais gold is the same as cash, anything brand name is just that today popular tomorrow not! 

10 hours ago, Wermland said:

She says she does't want anything but, of course gold I understand is nice. Since we have not been together for so long, a baht gold chain does not feel right, maybe 1/4 baht but is it too small, or should you exclude gold entirely?
appreciate some suggestions please

All Thai women like gold, it's age related; but you're right that 1/4 baht of gold may seem small.

For many, if not most, Thai women making face matters more than the actual gift – especially if she's on a social network and can share photos – a good alternative for a younger woman, and still make face, is a brand name parfume, which you can buy in airports when travelling to Thailand. For the equivalent of up to the price for 1/4 baht of gold, you should be able to buy a nice parfume, but choose a commonly well known brand, I have for example noticed that many thai women likes "Christian Dior"...:smile:

My suggestion is to make the time and buy your gift locally. I can't speak for all Thai women but my wife likes me to bring back gifts for her from the States. I shop for jeans, dresses, lingerie, perfumes, etc. These are things she would not spend money on for herself here in Thailand.

4 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

Got my Mrs a blender (which was really for our daughter's food). Another gift wasn't strictly a gift but the timing coincided with her birthday...that was a puppy for the family.  

From what I saw back home and living here, Thai really couldn't care less if you give a gift or not - as usually it is their work friends who make a big deal out of their birthdays. Maybe just take them out for dinner or have a small party at home with friends/family. 

Speaking to other people in our city we know who date farangs and the Mrs looking at the Thai forums, the social media generation really couldn't care less about the actual gold, just more 'showing it off' to their friends on social media (which could explain other comments about it having to be a certain price). So I would be sure I knew the Mrs pretty well to buy something like gold as I would want it received for the right reasons. 

My girl loves gold.. sure, she likes to wear it on special occasions.. lots of gold ..big face.. but the main reason she likes it is because it is a form of saving money.. if she needed money in a hurry she would just take it down to the gold shop and sell it or take it to a pawn shop and collect it later.. it is an old habit and seems to work for her and her family.   Blenders and things for the house don't make it.. 'it is for the house.. not me..'..  A dinner out with family and a birthday cake is always a winner..     Buying gold.. 1/4 bhat doesn't do it.. 1/2 is acceptable.. 1 bhat is for true love and wishful thinking... 

1 hour ago, Laza 45 said:

My girl loves gold.. sure, she likes to wear it on special occasions.. lots of gold ..big face.. but the main reason she likes it is because it is a form of saving money.. if she needed money in a hurry she would just take it down to the gold shop and sell it or take it to a pawn shop and collect it later.. it is an old habit and seems to work for her and her family.   Blenders and things for the house don't make it.. 'it is for the house.. not me..'..  A dinner out with family and a birthday cake is always a winner..     Buying gold.. 1/4 bhat doesn't do it.. 1/2 is acceptable.. 1 bhat is for true love and wishful thinking... 

Form of saving your money. Makes me sick to the stomach seeing the victims at the gold shops... What a joke seriously