AIS To Charge GPRS Per Minute, Not Per MB

george

New way of selling fast mobile Web may start trend

BANGKOK: -- A top Asian mobile phone operator on Wednesday trail-blazed a shift in the way the industry sells wireless Internet services, saying it would charge for minutes of use rather than data downloaded in the hope of luring new users.

Advanced Info Service PCL, Thailand's largest mobile operator, said the new system would simplify high-speed GPRS (general packet radio service) and lower the cost for users, while boosting its revenue by attracting more customers.

The company and analysts said the new scheme, which AIS claimed was a world first, could start a trend as operators scramble to boost revenues from non-voice services in the face of slowing customer growth.

"The new system will make it easier for customers to understand GPRS. This will encourage them to spend more on non-voice services" said Suvit Arayavilaipong, assistant vice president of AIS's wireless service.

AIS, founded by Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, predicted it could double its 600,000 GPRS customers under the new system by the end of this year.

Mobile operators typically charge by the amount of data transmitted to the customer, because GPRS does not use network resources while a user is reading a Web page already downloaded, and often offer a flat monthly fee for a fixed amount of megabytes.

"If you're on a time basis, it's much easier for a subscriber to understand the pricing," said Davina Yeo, an analyst at International Data Corp in Hong Kong. "Time is a much easier concept to grasp than kilobytes."

BOOSTING NON-VOICE REVENUES

Until recently, mobile operators worldwide have struggled to persuade customers to use their phones for surfing the Web or other data services other than text messaging, despite the higher download speeds offered by GPRS.

But AIS said in February non-voice revenues could rise to 10 percent of total revenues this year, from four percent last year, due to strong demand for services offering picture messaging, shopping, television and video.

Yeo predicted other companies would follow AIS's lead, experimenting with time-based payment structures as well as hybrids of services based on both time and file size.

An AIS official said the new fees would make it cheaper for clients to download data via mobile phones.

Under the new system, effective from May 16, clients will be charged one baht (2.5 U.S. cents) per minute for surfing the Internet via mobile phones. It will also offer six monthly packages with rates ranging from 0.03 baht to 0.13 baht per minute, depending on use.

AIS said it would continue to offer tariffs based on the size of a data download, about 0.10 baht per kilobyte.

The company has a 60 percent market share and more than 13 million subscribers.

It is 43 percent owned by telecoms conglomerate Shin Corp and 46 percent-owned by foreign investors including Singapore Telecommunications Ltd.

At 0751 GMT, AIS shares were up 1.7 percent at 87.50 baht, down from a record high of 103 baht last month. The overall Thai stock market was up 1.5 percent. ($1=39.75 baht) (Additional reporting by Doug Young in Hong Kong)

-- Reuters 2004-05-12

Update:

AIS rejigs GPRS download fees

BANGKOK: -- Advanced Info Service (AIS) will charge its new customers by the minute for downloading content to their phones, instead of by the kilobyte.

While AIS said the new billing system is cheaper for multimedia content users, some may not like it.

AIS will automatically impose the new billing structure of Bt1 per minute for receiving content via its high-speed network General Packet Radio Service (GPRS) on all new customers, assistant vice president Suvit Arayavilaipong said yesterday.

Existing AIS clients pay Bt0.10 per kilobyte of content.

"The new rate will make it cheaper for fans of multimedia content. As an example, under the existing rate structure, if you download a 50-kilobyte Java game, the cost is about Bt19. Under the new structure, you'll pay Bt1 since you take only a minute to download it," Suvit said.

Existing customers can also apply for the new rate, he added.

But one telecom industry observer said light content consumers would not benefit.

"Why do they have to pay Bt1 per minute if they download just a little content, which may cost a few satang?

"Don't forget that they also have to pay for the content cost," he said.

New AIS customers must pay even if the download fails midway through. Existing customers under the old rate structure are not billed if the download fizzles out, he said.

He also questioned why AIS had to automatically impose the new rates on new users, instead of making them optional.

Suvit declined to comment.

AIS also offers monthly fee packages for content downloading that can drive the costs down even lower. For example, customers can pay Bt900 a month for 400 hours of GPRS-based content downloads, which translates to about Bt0.04 per minute.

--The Nation 2004-05-12

How can it be cheaper? As they increase users, they degrade what is already 4kb download speed.

While I am reading posts in Thaivisa, I am connected to GPRS, so will I be billed for the time it takes me to read my downloads?

My fixed rate plan with almost unlimited access and KBPS doesn't look like it can be cheaper by charging by the minute.

How can I get connected through AIS?

I am an AIS post paid subscriber and I have a Nokia 6100 which is WAP enabled.

I live up country and the nearest land line stops about 4 km away and the telephone company will not extend the line until thry get at least 30 subscribers.

Most people go and buy a mobile and don't bother to wait for the landline.

I am number 19 and have been waiting nearly a year but still no luck.

What can I do to connect my PC and get to use my emails and the Internet?

:o

You will want to go to an AIS office and obtain another sim card and enroll in a GPRS plan, hopefully at the max 850 plan I have.

You will need a wireless card for your PC, I have a Sierra, but a Thailand made product may be cheaper. Load the software on your computer, insert the sim card into the wireless card that fits into your PC and it should connect.

I had the Fujitsu dealer that I bought the wireless card set it all up and he went with me to AIS so the whole thing would work, a condition I made as part of my purchase agreement.

You should first determine if you PC has a slot for a wireless card, ie. a port. If not, there is probably a external hub that can take a wireless card and connect with your PC through one of your available ports.

As I said, I would have the guy who sells you the wireless card, I paid 15k for mine, make it all work as part of your deal. It is not complicated if you underestand what your doing, but maddening if you don't.

The sierra allows incoming and outgoing calls while you are online through your sim card and does have software features for dialing, recording missed calls, etc.

If you have a GPRS capable mobile phone you won't need a wireless card! You can hook it up to your pc using a cable, bluetooth or infrared. Setting it up is not always very easy (depends on phone) so get someone to do it for you.

That way you can use your mobile as a regular phon while not connected to the internet!

Hrmm let me see..

DTAC GPRS - 999 baht per month *unlimited*

AIS GPRS - 1 baht/minute. 60 minutes to 1 hour. 10 hours a day. 30 days a month = 18,000 baht.

I'll stick to DTAC and be "happy", thanks. :o

AIS has another offer too for unlimited GPRS for the first 6 months and then 200MB for another 6 months. 1.000thb/month

Hi Jay,

Have only used it with Nokia GSM phone... Was not easy to get the cable connection going to the PC. Ended up using infrared...

Entry level should not be expensive, there are a few phones in the 5000 Baht range capable of GPRS. Motorola's connect with a standard USB cable to your PC (like a digital camera) so they should be easy to set up!

As for the GPRS service, I haven't used Dtac but heard from several sources AIS is much more stable and reliable. I think the current promo from AIS is 1200 Baht/month unlimited internet first six months, 200 Mb limit the second six months. On top you'll get a load of free sms messages (no calling time though).

Beware in the second six months if you go over the 200 Mb you'll get billed 100 Baht/Mb. Yes thats a cool 10.000 Baht for 100Mb extra !!!!

If the 900 Baht/400 Hours upcoming package would come through that would certainly be a sweet deal!!!

In short:

5000 Baht phone

500 Baht cable

999 Baht simcard (ais)

All in all less then 7000 Baht!

AIS gprs is a great product, coverage is pretty good. i was snorkelling on some islands off Koh Chang. it was great to catch up with work emails in Oz

WOW

I did not know it worked underwater as well.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.gsmadvance.com/e/shop/promotion..._isim_pack.aspx

AIS seems to be getting the first modifications on their website!

Their internet sim promotion now states that for the second 6 months you can opt for 200 hours instead of 200 Mb. In short:

1 year contract, pay 1200 Baht pr month for:

First six months: unlimited internet + 100 sms. Voice call at regular price...

Second six months: 200Mb or 200Hr internet + 100 SMS. If over limit extra charge is 1 baht/minute or .1baht/kb(=100baht/Mb)

This means you pay 6 Baht/hour for your internet in the second 6 months, which is at the same price or cheaper then the cheapest dial up ISP!

For what its worth, my AIS package through 2006, obtained last year, is unlimited, I vary between 22k to 32 mgs a month.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, the system is so slow about a week a month that I can't even access websites. The other three weeks a month the system works fine.

My inaccessable time this month was from the 17th to the 26th.

Anyone else on AIS GPRS? COMMENTS?

I'm connecting through my AIS pre-paid sim card right now. I've been online for about three hours. I'm getting a connection that I think is roughly equivalent to a 28k dial up. It's only cost me about 15 baht so far!!!!! What's going on there?!?!

With the old system, 300 baht would have gone in just a few minutes.

Now, it seems like a pretty good deal to me. Perhaps the minutes only clock up as the data is transferring. I don't know :o:D

Flumoxed,

Speed sounds OK, equal to a very good 28k modem (or a bad 56k).

15 Baht should have given you close to nothing! I know AIS is in the process of updating their GPRS billing system so not sure what is going on...

When I tried on one2call, I wasted over 300 baht in 30 minutes :o

ProThaiExpat,

I think speeds vary a lot depending on antenna signal, what cell you're on etc.

My friend uses it at his home only and the system seems pretty consistent, if not a tad slow. Speedtests on international sites mostly show between 20 and 30 Kbps.

• 5 months later...

This is only valid if you get the new internet sim(with new number)

Only post-paid.

For foreigners, you can only register under your own name if you have a valid workpermit, or if you have a company. Otherwise you have to put it under a Thai name!

If you have a GPRS capable mobile phone you won't need a wireless card!

Monty, Can you/anyone recommend a good phone/cable?

What's is it going to cost for an 'enrty level' setup? Anybody have any experiences?

Thanks

J

Get a GPRS capable cellphone. Better yet get one that is GPRS and EDGE capable since EDGE is new tech version of GPRS and will be about 4 or more times as fast.

Also make sure the phone has Bluetooth capability. Then buy what is called a Bluetooth Dongle (about 1000 baht) to plug into any USB port. Install the software that comes with the Dongle.

Once you have the phone go to an AIS office and talk with them direct and they will set you up with data services for your phone. You will be able to get time based packages based on how many hours you think you will use the service. I bought a 400 hour a month package (150 night time and 250 daytime hours) for 900 baht. You can buy lesser packages if you do not plan to use it that much.

Once you have the phone line enabled, the Bluetooth software installed you are ready to make your first call. Since the Bluetooth is a wireless connection you simply have the phone within 10 meters of the USB Dongle and it will connect to the computer without wires.

If you have any problems at all simply call the support line for AIS and they will assist you even up to sending you the operating strings for your phone.

One caution. In the phone set up sequence you may have an option for the GPRS that says something like, Enable "As needed" or Enable "When available" Select the when needed option since the other one will connect you to the GPRS network anytime the phone is on and use up your hours. My phone was set to default to When Available and wasted needless hours of connect.

Hope that helps a bit.

This is only valid if you get the new internet sim(with new number)

Only post-paid.

For foreigners, you can only register under your own name if you have a valid workpermit, or if you have a company. Otherwise you have to put it under a Thai name!

Hi,

Can anyone please suggest a good/cheap pre-paid provider for GPRS?

I regularily travel to Thailand and would like a pre-paid only that I can top-up when I arrive.

Any suggestions...

Cheers Glenn

All the providers charge around 1 Baht/minute!

Is this actually the case? I ask this because I have a feeling that with DTAC it may be somthing more like 1 baht per click.

For example, with my Siemens mobile phone I connect often to www.bbc.co.uk/mobile and view many pages. The costs incurred seem to correlate closely to the number of pages I view (ie, 5 pages = 5 baht).

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

My account, by the way, is prepaid.

AIS gprs is a great product, coverage is pretty good. i was snorkelling on some islands off Koh Chang. it was great to catch up with work emails in Oz

WOW

I did not know it worked underwater as well.

:o:D:D Astral, I like your style :D:D:wub:

Maybe the laptop was using a snorkel as well -_-:(:)