Bangkok’s Air More Toxic Than You Think: Greenpeace

webfact

Bangkok’s Air More Toxic Than You Think: Greenpeace

By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee, Staff Reporter

Image-uploaded-from-iOS-1-696x465.jpg

BANGKOK — Bangkok’s air, which has been choking on unusually thick smog for days, is actually more toxic than thought.

After the residents, especially those with respiratory difficulty or disease, were warned to wear masks, Greenpeace Thailand said Bangkok’s reported pollution levels ignore high levels of dangerously small pollutants blamed for the deaths of tens of thousands annually in Thailand.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/bangkok/2018/01/25/bangkoks-air-toxic-think-greenpeace/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-01-25

18 minutes ago, MaxLee said:

Over producing in cars and over investing in real estate or Shopping malls,...... are you surprised?

Plus the lack of tree's which filter air....employee's who live very far away from their job, lack of good public transport (overfull skytrains/metro), far too big cars which are not efficient at all, old fuming trucks/buses/boats, lack of wind, smoking bbq's, burning of garbagebins,  and so on.

Small particulate matter (PM2.5) is a carcinogen, and is small enough to enter the blood stream so that not only the lungs are affected. Once again we are offered this bland advice to wear masks. The commonly seen surgical masks made of paper or other non-woven materials are next to useless as protection against outdoor air pollutants.

My rules for breathing cleaner air in Bangkok. Take the BTS. Avoid standing around in underpasses where fumes can concentrate. Walk, but avoid the main thoroughfares, spend plenty of time in the limited green spaces that the city offers, the main two parks. Taxis are OK, but never ever take a tuk tuk. Don't cycle or use a motorbike in the city. Don't loiter on a platform at Hua Lam Pong station, or you'll be dead in a couple of minutes.

2 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

. Taxis are OK, but never ever take a tuk tuk. Don't cycle or use a motorbike in the city.

Taxis (and cars) are not OK.

They suck the crap (including their own engine fumes) in through the aircon and concentrate it in a toxic micro climate.

Outside is always best (on MC and bicycles better than in vehicles), even Samlors.

Air pollution more harmful to children in cars than outside, warns top ...

“It is nine to 12 times higher inside the car than outside,” he said. “Children are in the back of the car and often the car has the fans on, just sucking the fresh exhaust coming out of the car or lorry in front of them straight into the back of the car.”

Air pollution worse for drivers than cyclists on same Bath road ...

Air pollution worse for motorists than cyclists | | Commute Orlando

Edited by Enoon

3 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

My rules for breathing cleaner air in Bangkok. Take the BTS. Avoid standing around in underpasses where fumes can concentrate. Walk, but avoid the main thoroughfares, spend plenty of time in the limited green spaces that the city offers, the main two parks. Taxis are OK, but never ever take a tuk tuk. Don't cycle or use a motorbike in the city. Don't loiter on a platform at Hua Lam Pong station, or you'll be dead in a couple of minutes.

Lots of rules there my friend, I think I will stick to my one and only rule on the place Don't enter the country

14 hours ago, Enoon said:

Taxis (and cars) are not OK.

They suck the crap (including their own engine fumes) in through the aircon and concentrate it in a toxic micro climate.

Have you never seen the air-circulation switch on the car-aircon? Also the cars have ozone air-purifiers onboard..i never smelled a bus when sitting in the car.

4 hours ago, Lupatria said:

They missed a chance to blame it on tobacco and e-cigarette smokers.

The report was by Greenpeace.... slamming the Thai governments pollution control department

tomorrow the PCD will counter, citing cigarette smoking as the issue, and praising themselves for great advancements in controlling pollution, by making smokers stand on the footpath instead of the beach... ?