Sattahip market: Cars unable to be locked by remote - thieves or a bank responsible?

webfact

Sattahip market: Cars unable to be locked by remote - thieves or a bank responsible?

4pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Sanook reported that motorists were experiencing continued problems in the area of the Sattahip market because they were unable to lock their cars with remote controls.

Some believe there are thieves at work in the area using a jamming device.

The local traders at the market in Chonburi province are angry at being blamed for complicity and want something done by the relevant authorities.

Vendors told Sanook that it used to be only Toyotas affected - now all makes of car have problems.

Cars could sometimes be locked by remote but couldn't then be opened. Manual use of keys presented no problems.

Two vendors said they were fed up at being blamed and demanded action.

Sanook spoke to a telecom expert who said that a problem had been caused in the past with a local bank's security system interfering with signals.

Sanook did not report if they had asked the police if there had been any thefts in the area.

Motorists were worried that they may believe they had locked their vehicles when they hadn't leaving them vulnerable to theft.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-01-29

16 minutes ago, webfact said:

Sanook spoke to a telecom expert who said that a problem had been caused in the past with a local bank's security system interfering with signals.

So, this guy is emitting some kind of electromagnetic radiation?

5a6e947bb2cbc_SleepingBeauty.jpg.a169ab2adba88eac4d71ca1d18492645.jpg

Edited by Darcula

Why would the courts be involved?

Sounds like the keys are using licence-free low-power transmitters, probably in the 430MHz range. This range can be used by anyone for any purpose, without a licence, but the equipment "must accept interference" from other legitimate users. This means that if the keys are blocked by another lawful user of the same frequency band, then it's tough noogies.

Assuming that all the equipment in the area is lawful, there's not a lot anyone can do.

Car manufacturers use license-free bands because it means they don't have to go through all the regulations (and costs) associated with having your own frequency bands - think 3G or 4G licences. If they had their own frequency band specifically for remote car door locks, then they could complain when somebody else uses the same frequency for something else. But they don't.

This means that we, the users of their remote door-locking systems, have to put up with occasions when they simply don't work.

6 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

What is the problem can Thai people not just use the keys.

If you open the door with the key after its been locked with the remote it sets off the alarm.It does with my Toyota Vios anyway .

20 minutes ago, anto said:

If you open the door with the key after its been locked with the remote it sets off the alarm.It does with my Toyota Vios anyway .

Yes, my van does the same, first I get a low volume warning and if I do not put the key in the ignition within a minute it goes into full alarm, but putting the key in the ignition the alarm resets.

Edited by Basil B

21 hours ago, webfact said:

want something done by the relevant authorities.

In this case Sattahip police!  My only dealing with one cost me around 80K after he ruled I was at fault for allowing two tearaways to crash into me whilst I waited at a U-turn.  Thannachart, my '1st class' insurers condoned this behaviour.

15 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

What is the problem can Thai people not just use the keys.

Do you know how much effort it takes? You have to line up the key to the keyhole (not easy when you've had a skinful), then you have to push the key in.....and it doesn't finish there. You then have to turn the key 'til you hear the locked sound. 

And Heavens to Betsy if anyone sees you doing this. They might think you bought a basic model car without remote locking.