Tfda Regulations

Hi all,

First time poster here. I'm interested in starting a small retail shop (similar to that of GNC) selling supplements for health, fitness, dietary needs, etc. Being someone who is seriously into working out, I'm quite disappointed by the lack of fitness supplements available in the country (as are many other Thais and foreigners). For example, whey protien, creatine, nitric oxide, weight gainers, etc. My plan is to import health products from the US, or other countries if need be, and sell them in my shop or possibly become a distributor.

But from what I can gather from my own research, the reason for the lack of these products is because of the TFDA. From my understanding, some of these products surpass the TFDA RDI (recommended daily intake) and have to classified as a drug. But some of the other products don't contain any of the vitamins or minerials listed in the RDI list.

My question is, how long does it actually take for these products to be approved by the TFDA. Will they be approved at all? Because they aren't availabe in TH, could it mean they were rejected? If they've already been approved by the US FDA, will it speed up the process or possibly even skip the entire process? I saw in a Canadian Revenues report on Thailand that it takes 4-6 months for foods and 1-2 years or drugs but I'd like to hear it from someone who has any experience. I have a feeling that the dietary supplements could have a tougher time passing the TFDA regulations.

Also, what are the fees for the process? Do I give the samples to the TFDA or does the manufacturer have to do it?

I am still in the early stages of research, so please correct me if my information is wrong (and it probably is since its all from the net!).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by bespoke