Six injured as pickup slides into bus in Si Sa Ket

webfact

Six injured as pickup slides into bus in Si Sa Ket

By The Nation

47afd1af0dd7e2d820a9cdf90041d849.jpeg

Six passengers were injured when a pickup truck knocked their bus off the road and into a tree in Si Sa Ket on Tuesday morning.

Police said the accident occurred at 6.30am at an intersection on Highway 225 in Muang Si Sa Ket.

The bus was transporting 13 passengers from Bangkok to Ubon Ratchathani. The injured were taken to Si Sa Ket Hospital.

6b9966cd41e0cacb657c7692dc45a4e8.jpeg

Bus driver Thanya Wongbutta, 47, told police he’d just started across the intersection after the light turned green and the pickup rammed the front right side of his vehicle.

Pickup driver Damrong Phonengern, 54, blamed a slippery road surface.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30337502

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-01-30

From what I have seen in the years I have been here is many, many vehicles of all types have tyres that leave a lot to be desired. Will the police have checked the tyres on this pick up? Do they ever check tyres ? Is there a law about the legal amount of tread on tyres?

4 minutes ago, Maverell said:

From what I have seen in the years I have been here is many, many vehicles of all types have tyres that leave a lot to be desired. Will the police have checked the tyres on this pick up? Do they ever check tyres ? Is there a law about the legal amount of tread on tyres?

Mate this is Thailand, guess you know the answers already.

Do they even have yearly safetychecks for vehicles? Do they even check if vehicles have a licenseplate/insurance when on the roads? Do they even check anything at all??:smile:

1 hour ago, Thian said:

Do they even have yearly safetychecks for vehicles? Do they even check if vehicles have a licenseplate/insurance when on the roads? Do they even check anything at all??:smile:

From the 7th year , cars get checked and you need the mandatory insurance before you can pay the road tax which is displayed on the window , and police checkpoints keep an eye on that. Tyres last longer than what the tyre companies want you to believe.

So yes they get checked .

1 hour ago, BuaBS said:

From the 7th year , cars get checked and you need the mandatory insurance before you can pay the road tax which is displayed on the window , and police checkpoints keep an eye on that. Tyres last longer than what the tyre companies want you to believe.

So yes they get checked .

I see, but do they also check if all the lights are working properly and are not pimped? Or that somchai didn't add some sharp spoilers or steel frames hanging out of the car? Or extra wide tires which stick out of the chassis?

Serious 90% of the cars in BKK have something customized or not working properly. I don't check their tires but am happy if their lights are working and they use the indicatorlights at least.

3 hours ago, Thian said:

I see, but do they also check if all the lights are working properly and are not pimped? Or that somchai didn't add some sharp spoilers or steel frames hanging out of the car? Or extra wide tires which stick out of the chassis?

Serious 90% of the cars in BKK have something customized or not working properly. I don't check their tires but am happy if their lights are working and they use the indicatorlights at least.

Yes they check my lights and horn .

I didn't read in this article that the pickup was modified .

Who always uses their indicator lights ? We're not in europe .

In Thailand those things are optional :smile:.

9 hours ago, kensisaket said:

Believe it or not, it did rain in Sisaket this morning.  Not sure if rained where this occurred; but, that may have been a contributing factor.

Maybe it did rain, but drivers need to drive to "the conditions"!

Rain maybe a reason but NOT an excuse. :coffee1:

13 hours ago, Thian said:

Where I take my pick up they check everything including the exhaust emission readings. As for the wide tyres, there is no regulations to say they are not to protrude past the guard.

Highly likely that the pickup driver made the early decision to run the changing lights, then realised too late that he wouldn't make it, as a coach was already coming slowly into the intersection from the left.

Pickup guy slammed on the brakes, locked up, and skidded through the now red light intersection, T-boning the unlucky coach.

Slippery road ? Possibly. Poor driving skills ? Guaranteed.

On a slightly different tack, I'm often driving just before dawn, and I travel through a major crossroad intersection controlled by traffic lights.

It absolutely stuns me how many vehicles simply sail through the red light, as though it didn't exist, simply because there's nothing obvious coming from left or right.

At that hour of the day, so many idiots on the road have already turned their headlights off, making them practically invisible.

Edited by electric

13 minutes ago, electric said:

Highly likely that the pickup driver made the early decision to run the changing lights, then realised too late that he wouldn't make it, as a coach was already coming slowly into the intersection from the left.

Pickup guy slammed on the brakes, locked up, and skidded through the now red light intersection, T-boning the unlucky coach.

Slippery road ? Possibly. Poor driving skills ? Guaranteed.

On a slightly different tack, I'm often driving just before dawn, and I travel through a major crossroad intersection controlled by traffic lights.

It absolutely stuns me how many vehicles simply sail through the red light, as though it didn't exist, simply because there's nothing obvious coming from left or right.

At that hour of the day, so many idiots on the road have already turned their headlights off, making them practically invisible.

The lights were probably changed to red but the pick- up driver did not stop or he was speeding. I am afraid red lights dont stop drivers in Thailand They are just decorations on the road. The me me attitude told the pick-driver to keep going The bus driver did the right thing he stopped at the red light and when it turned green he went He did not expect this idiot to be coming through Normal police charge in normal country where cops actually have control over the road would " Driving with out due care  and causing greivous bodily harm" Serious charge which would end him up in court. Plus breath test for alcohol  Here it would of been 10 push-ups say sorry drive on.

2 hours ago, Russell17au said:

As for the wide tyres, there is no regulations to say they are not to protrude past the guard.

Oh i see, well that's very dangerous in BKK where loads of motobikes drive fast between the cars. But i also see pickups with welded brackets/hooks outside their car, very dangerous. 

But this is not dangerous for Thai of course since they can't see danger.

2 hours ago, Enoon said:

Good choice for the passengers who used the NakhonChaiAir bus.

Newer fleet, structurally sound and better maintained.

Reputable company which is expanding on a "quality" reputation.

Well said Enoon. NCA is a top notch professional operation IMHO.

A little off topic, but NCA should contract a farang web developer to tweak the English version of the NCA website. It's not great.