Airport director hits back: Don Mueang has no taxi mafia!

webfact

On 2/6/2018 at 10:43 AM, Nong Khai Man said:

It was not possible for drivers just to arrive and pick up passengers as there needed to be a system in place to ensure order.......

Just go up to the Departure Level Then......You'll See Many Dropping Off,Then " Filling Their Boots "

just exposed a route now will be closer monitored...great keep the easy ways of travel to yourself!!! no value if exposure very smart oh how smart you are!...

16 minutes ago, rotorbreeze said:

just exposed a route now will be closer monitored...great keep the easy ways of travel to yourself!!! no value if exposure very smart oh how smart you are!...

17 minutes ago, rotorbreeze said:

To be fair, it is hardly the greatest of secrets...

6 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Bet you didn't know that this alleged miracle shortcut is the source of most of the worst taxi ripoffs at the airport now. Know why? Its simple - there is no record of the drivers. When you  respect the rules, you get a taxi tracer slip so that you can report inappropriate behavior or even facilitate recovering an article left behind in  a taxi.

You advocate support of the black market and discourage the honest drivers from following the rules.

We left a bag containing my daughters tablet in a taxi from DMG a couple of years ago. We tried using the tracing slip, but the "not a taxi mafia" could not trace the driver.

13 hours ago, falangjim said:

500 bht was what I was quoted at Swampy late one night. I can still hear the echo of my laughter in the garage as I turned away from him. 

Reminds me back to when DM was the only airport and for a while many taxi drivers, who could speak some English tried to tell passengers that the 50Baht service fee on the ticket given to passengers from the service desk was a misprint and should be 500Baht. Some got away with it.

Another one they tried for a while 'PM Samak has made a policy that foreigners must pay the money on the meter plus 200Baht plus 50Baht service fee'. Some got away with it.

One driver tied this one when I was returning to BKK with a work colleague, she is lokk krueng, many people would think she is pure western, she was born and lived all her life in Bkk, she's a Thai citizen, very well educated and speaks perfect Thai and perfect English. She's always polite but she doesn't take any bullshit.

The driver tried the Samak line and she responded by taking out her phone, start dialing and said I'm contacting the Land Transport Department and giving them the code number on the inside of your back doors and your driver registration number showing on your dashboard and our destination where they can meet you in about 20 minutes. 

Driver went into instant panic and asked if he could stop immediately, cancel the meter totally and get another driver to take us the rest of the trip. Colleague refused, and then indicated she was calling the police.

We got to the stated destination and to frighten the driver even more she refused to get out of the car. Driver was repeatedly waiing and saying kor tortd khrup.

We then agreed I would get out remove all the bags then she got out, driver sped away as fast as possible, no money. 

• Haha 2

On 2/7/2018 at 11:50 AM, rotorbreeze said:

Always used to. But the Thais, amazingly, caught onto that. To the best of my knowledge, that is no longer an option. 

On 2/6/2018 at 11:41 AM, keeniau96 said:

Thank you for the info re Uber at DMK, going there next week and will make sure to avoid..

Uber was twice as much as a meter taxi last week. I knew how much the meter was going to cost from previous trips but tried Uber first, the price was double. 

13 hours ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Never have a bother with taxis at DMK. Fly in Domestic and International weekly. Domestic has the numbering system where wait times are less than 5 minutes and international has the queue where I have been waiting about 10-15 minutes on the odd occasion but usually through in 5. 

I rarely have a problem with taxis in Bangkok, which makes me wonder what people are doing wrong?

The only time I have had a problem in the last five years was when an impatient friend insisted and took us upstairs at Domestic and the taxi we got told us his meter was broken. In fact it was disconnected and in the glove box. We ended up paying a few hundred Baht from DMK to Mo Chit BTS. Well my friend did, as it was his idea. 

You think it is bad now? You wouldn't have lasted five minutes in the 80's or 90's here.

Woah...........there............. the classic: 'i know better than you and ive dealt with much worse than you' well gee golly gosh good for you, i geuss your gloating is some kind of therapy in having to deal with that bs every week for the last 100 years.

• Thanks 1