High-end Food Courts In Bkk.

RBWilson

What is the Best high-end Food Court in BKK?  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recently several high-end food courts have surfaced in Bangkok. They feature multi-cultural offerings, typically representing higher-end restaurants elsewhere in Bangkok. The payment system is typically a post-paid, computer controlled check-out system. What has been your experience and why?

ABOUT CHIDLOM FOODLOFT

I like the atmosphere in Central Chidlom Foodloft and it has an okay pizza, salad, and pasta stall at a good price. (59 baht for a big slice of pizza... not bad!)

However, I must say that among the high-end food courts, Chidlom Foodloft has the one of the WORST stalls for Asian noodles. Have you tried their Pad Thai or their Malaysian noodles?

Very nice presentation, but just about the blandest anywhere in Bangkok, and it doesn't taste Asian at all (like it's lacking a lot of authentic Asian ingredients). It's like they really tried to "modify" the recipe to cater to bland tastes for the "more Western" clientele.

Not to mention, it costs up to 5 times more than the authentic padthai etc. in the lower end food courts.

On a personal note: I've tried many Pad Thai versions around, both on the street and in restaurants.. and the best I've ever had is on the street in Soi Saint Louis 3 (between Sathorn Road and Chan Road). Dam_n good. I go back to that same stall all the time.

Edited by junkofdavid2

I like foodloft - my fave bit is the Indonesian / Malay section (sorry if that's vague) and I also think the Vietnamese pho ain't bad. Nice chocolate brownies with ice cream and other desserts.

Paragon looks a mess and the basement atmosphere sucks. Emporium - I guess you mean the 'posher' food court with tony roma's etc. I like the food but again, the atmosphere is lacking and it takes ages to get a drink. Prefer the other food court in emporium - specially the soup noodles with bbq pork, wonton and crabmeat. yum.

not been to mbk one yet.....

Prefer the other food court in emporium - specially the soup noodles with bbq pork, wonton and crabmeat. yum.

I agree, the cheaper food court is very nice in Emporium, not the usual overcrowded mess that you expect from shopping centre food courts. The pasta is quite nice here to (considering it's only about 60 baht!)

My rankings:

1. Food Loft - Central

2. Paragon

3. 5th Ave at MBK

but they're all good, and nearly equivalent. I don't like the automatic 5% service charge (at 5th Ave, maybe more at the others), but what can you do? Prices are about 3x ~ 7x vs. a coupon (pre-paid) food court, but you are getting more and varied options, and a more enjoyable environment.

My rankings:

1. Food Loft - Central

2. Paragon

3. 5th Ave at MBK

but they're all good, and nearly equivalent. I don't like the automatic 5% service charge (at 5th Ave, maybe more at the others), but what can you do? Prices are about 3x ~ 7x vs. a coupon (pre-paid) food court, but you are getting more and varied options, and a more enjoyable environment.

I believe all the mentioned food courts charge 5% S/C. Service staff will pick-up and deliver your orders to your table (except for 5th Ave. - they had this service when they first opened but, shortly thereafter dropped it; the only totally self-service place I have been to with a S/C).

I like foodloft and the one in Empo, I don't like Paragon's, it is too noisy and frantic

I agree completly - One at Paragon is poorly placed and designed. Noisy, tables too close to each other, and poor ambiance. 5th Avenue and Emporium are much better.

Agreed, Paragon's is a bit loud and the atmosphere doesn't warrent the price you pay. Has anyone been to the food court on the ground floor of Central Chid Lom? Quite a strange set up, in that alot of the dishes are displayed pre-cooked in plastic containers which you then select and warm up. There is a great selection there and you can sit outside on a veranda area which is quite nice. The middle Eastern/Lebonese food there is particularly nice.

Agreed, Paragon's is a bit loud and the atmosphere doesn't warrent the price you pay. Has anyone been to the food court on the ground floor of Central Chid Lom? Quite a strange set up, in that alot of the dishes are displayed pre-cooked in plastic containers which you then select and warm up. There is a great selection there and you can sit outside on a veranda area which is quite nice. The middle Eastern/Lebonese food there is particularly nice.

Although not exactly a 'high-end' food court, I have tried it and the food is quite nice. Will have to try the Lebonese.