chapati box

triffid

I posted this also in 'international food' and am putting a copy of the text below, just in case....

This is of course a topic tangential to 'international food' but can anyone tell me where to buy a chapati box? These are boxes - they tend to be round - with lids and keep chapatis, naans, etc warm. They are a common household item in south Asia. Has anyone seen one, or a substitute which might serve the same  purpose, in Thailand? 

2 hours ago, mogandave said:

The woven bamboo baskets?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Thanks for the idea which may well work, provided the weave was tight - so maybe a rush/reed rather than bamboo - and the basket had a covering top to it.

2 hours ago, triffid said:

Thanks for the idea which may well work, provided the weave was tight - so maybe a rush/reed rather than bamboo - and the basket had a covering top to it.

yeah, they're a tight weave with a top, they put sticky rice and whatnot in them

On 2/11/2018 at 7:20 PM, norrska said:

do you mean tiffin box?  maybe check at the local restos?

Well, if a tiffin box is made of stainless steel, has a holder on the lid to make opening/closing quick and easy, and is of at least 9 inches diameter, then yes that may work too. Ok, I'll ask an indian restaurant here - Chiangmai.

Thanks for the reply.

On 2/11/2018 at 9:22 PM, mogandave said:

yeah, they're a tight weave with a top, they put sticky rice and whatnot in them

Could be just the ticket. I'll check Worarot Market - I am in Chiangmai. Otherwise, I wonder if there is a better place, perhaps specialized in such reed-woven things.

1 hour ago, triffid said:

Well, if a tiffin box is made of stainless steel, has a holder on the lid to make opening/closing quick and easy, and is of at least 9 inches diameter, then yes that may work too. Ok, I'll ask an indian restaurant here - Chiangmai.

Thanks for the reply.

yes here is a picture....image.png.d15528325256a5f0dbf93cb03bdb0496.png

No, I'm afraid this isn't right for my purpose. One of that column of boxes if it was shallow and wide enough might have worked. But the whole tower .....not really.  

But thanks for troubling to find the pic.

Edited by triffid

12 hours ago, triffid said:

No, I'm afraid this isn't right for my purpose. One of that column of boxes if it was shallow and wide enough might have worked. But the whole tower .....not really.  

note, the tower size if adjustable.

14 hours ago, triffid said:

The picture you were shown is called pin-toh ( sounds like pinto ), ( people on this post have called it a tiffin box ) it is used to take your lunch or dinner, hence the multiple compartments.   Normally 3, 4 or 5 compartments.    I used to use when travelling upcountry.     Doesn't keep the food warm though.

As other people have suggested try asking your local Indian shop ( fabrics / internet etc ) they may know.

If you are ever in Bangkok you could try Little India ( Phahurat Market ).

If the woven baskets are not suitable, you may even get someone to make a special size for you, an alternative could be the high density thermal plastic food containers.  It may mean rolling the chapatis up.

Good hunting, in the mean time I will ask around where I live upcountry.

5 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

The picture you were shown is called pin-toh ( sounds like pinto ), ( people on this post have called it a tiffin box ) it is used to take your lunch or dinner, hence the multiple compartments.   Normally 3, 4 or 5 compartments.    I used to use when travelling upcountry.     Doesn't keep the food warm though.

As other people have suggested try asking your local Indian shop ( fabrics / internet etc ) they may know.

If you are ever in Bangkok you could try Little India ( Phahurat Market ).

If the woven baskets are not suitable, you may even get someone to make a special size for you, an alternative could be the high density thermal plastic food containers.  It may mean rolling the chapatis up.

Good hunting, in the mean time I will ask around where I live upcountry.

Thank you for your very helpful thoughts. 

A woven basket, 8-9 inches diameter, with a top would work very well. The fact that I would have a napkin under and going over the chapatis in addition to the natural insulation the basket+top provided would keep the chapatis plenty warm enough, long enough. I shall look around for this.

As a second choice I'm going to look for a shallow but wide stainless steel container with an easily removable lid. (For now I rule out a plastic version on aesthetic grounds). 

I'm sure one or the other of the two alternative 'boxes' is available somewhere in Chiangmai - just have to go to the right place.

Thank you for the referral to Phahurat Market; I shall make a point of looking around there - never been before.