Mothers too young: Inequality fuels adolescent pregnancies in Thailand

webfact

1 hour ago, marko kok prong said:

No doubt the guy has taken off,oh well,Bangkok,Pattaya or Phuket seems to be the destination for Fern,maybe she can get some old falang to fall for her.

A Thai girl's mentality of "Oh well, if worse comes to worse, I can always run off to Bangkok, Pattaya or Phuket and find a farang to fall for me" plays a role in perpetuating rural poverty. It undercuts academic effort, development of a work ethic, marital commitment, and the fabric of the  community. Running off to Pattaya while ditching her recently born child with a relative is scarcely the ideal parenting role model for her kid, and more than likely plays a role in fostering prostitution from one generation to another.

By no means am I trying to get moralistic here, and in no way should my comments be interpreted as personally directed at you. I'm just trying to point out that prostitution impacts rural poverty in ways which some fail to consider. It is not the miracle cure for rural poverty which some foreigners might imagine it is.  That's all I'm saying.

Edited by Gecko123

1 hour ago, Enoon said:

What I have noticed is that you seem to attribute most, if not all, your life "difficulties" to women and that you are very much on a "downer" with regard to them.

I've only ever had one life difficulty, and that was with one woman (who hasn't?).

My current wife and teen (abandoned age 11.5) are no problem at all, they've both recently completed high school (although my wife did have our baby while attending HS) and they have both started university. The teen is really hard working at Uni.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

30 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

A Thai girl's mentality of "Oh well, if worse comes to worse, I can always run off to Bangkok, Pattaya or Phuket and find a farang to fall for me" plays a role in perpetuating rural poverty. It undercuts academic effort, development of a work ethic, marital commitment, and the fabric of the  community. Running off to Pattaya while ditching her recently born child with a relative is scarcely the ideal parenting role model for her kid, and more than likely plays a role in fostering prostitution from one generation to another.

By no means am I trying to get moralistic here, and in no way should my comments be interpreted as personally directed at you. I'm just trying to point out that prostitution impacts rural poverty in ways which some fail to consider. It is not the miracle cure for rural poverty which some foreigners might imagine it is.  That's all I'm saying.

Not all work prostitution but yes run to big cities for working as hotel maids shopping malls etc  but you hit some right spot on your post

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, DM07 said:

But at the moment, women take 100% of the responsibility, 

Not really.  The woman's family usually look after the unwanted kids.

To be honest, it is 100 percent the woman's responsibility.  It's her body.

Don't want a baby.. try these options:

Don't have sex

Take the pill or use other contraception

Force the man to wear a condom.

Seems pretty easy.

If an adult consenting women, had unprotected sex with a guy, and then got pregnant... of course its the woman's responsibility.   

Now, being in a relationship, family, married, etc and the man leaves the women and kids... that is a different story... where the man should contribute to the upbringing of his children.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, DM07 said:

But at the moment, women take 100% of the responsibility, whereas Somchai just sticks his willy in the next poonanee

She was 100% responsible for agreeing to sex (Nobody is claiming rape)

She was 100% responsible for not using a condom (She could have said no without)

She was 100% responsible for not taking the morning after pill (40bht from any pharmacy)

She was 100% responsible for not choosing abortion in the first trimester.

She was 100% responsible for her choice to have a baby.

But according you you it's Somchai's fault, even though he probably wasn't consulted at any time.

It's always the same story, single mom, expects someone else to pay.

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MaeJoMTB said:

She was 100% responsible for agreeing to sex (Nobody is claiming rape)

She was 100% responsible for not using a condom (She could have said no without)

She was 100% responsible for not taking the morning after pill (40bht from any pharmacy)

She was 100% responsible for not choosing abortion in the first trimester.

She was 100% responsible for her choice to have a baby.

But according you you it's Somchai's fault, even though he probably wasn't consulted at any time.

It like the old saying goes 

With privilege comes responsibility.

Men and women have the privilege of being equal and each must be responsible for themselves with  that privilege.

3 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

you want to punish a man for a woman's poor life choices?

I would say in the interests of equality (and fairness to the new life), there should be no option of termination, both parents should have the choice on who has custody, and the cost split accordingly. And if neither want the cost and the custody, the child offered for adoption.

No, I want to punish the man for sending the general in without protection. 

He should also share the financial burden of raising a child. It's unfair that the mother be left high and dry with a young infant to care for, medical bills, school uniforms and books, etc.

People make mistakes, we all have, but it's time for people to grow up and take responsibility for their actions. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Not really.  The woman's family usually look after the unwanted kids.

To be honest, it is 100 percent the woman's responsibility.  It's her body.

Don't want a baby.. try these options:

Don't have sex

Take the pill or use other contraception

Force the man to wear a condom.

Seems pretty easy.

If an adult consenting women, had unprotected sex with a guy, and then got pregnant... of course its the woman's responsibility.   

Now, being in a relationship, family, married, etc and the man leaves the women and kids... that is a different story... where the man should contribute to the upbringing of his children.

Wow to all your nice men out there 100% responsibility for women only it is so bad thinking 

Equally 50/50 is right 

And if your nice men don't want your lady to getting pregnant so use a condom it is your responsibility too

Men there thinking as you have no morals and no respect for ladies and your babies 

If you get a baby you need to take your responsibility too and pay money to your child 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, djayz said:

He should also share the financial burden of raising a child. It's unfair that the mother be left high and dry with a young infant to care for, medical bills, school uniforms and books, etc.

People make mistakes, we all have, but it's time for people to grow up and take responsibility for their actions. 

So it is all about punishing the male . Where is the love in that.

I feel men should help also that is my personal feelings, but not as punishment. 

But what I am saying and I think others here are saying if we are equal pay the piper if you want to dance.

We are not saying if we were in that predicament we would not help. Just saying women have to be aware in these times if they want equality there are risks that go with it and deal with so behave accordingly..

That is why I went to prostitutes all my single life. When it is over it is over.

18 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Where is the " victim " in this story.  An 18 year old adult woman getting pregnant is hardly a victim.  It is not even newsworthy.  You must have lead a very sheltered life.  

Really?

It seems to me that the woman who ended up pregnant, despite trying to stop the man and, when he refused to stop, wear a condom (something he also refused to do) while having sex (because it spoiled his fun-so manly), is in every sense of the word a victim. 

As to my life...it’s none of your business, but I am thankful it is very different to the one that leads to your way of thinking. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Wow to all your nice men out there 100% responsibility for women only it is so bad thinking 

Equally 50/50 is right 

And if your nice men don't want your lady to getting pregnant so use a condom it is your responsibility too

Men there thinking as you have no morals and no respect for ladies and your babies 

If you get a baby you need to take your responsibility too and pay money to your child 

quote Men there thinking as you have no morals and no respect for ladies and your babies  unquote

Do not know how you came to that conclusion

I seem to have more respect for ladies and babies than my step daughter Since the baby came out of the hospital my wife and I have taken care of it and probably will till she is on her own in life. The daughter well her friends miss her so she has to go sorry for the child.

I feel women who get pregnant and cannot take care of them are the ones with no respect for babies. The enjoy the act but refuse  or cannot take care of the baby. Selfish to the core.

Edited by lovelomsak
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

That is why I went to prostitutes all my single life. When it is over it is over.

Which is why I asked where this 18yo, living on her own, got the money to pay for her Apartment, food and school fees.

It's not entirely certain what she was up to.

And this isn't a straight news story, this is UNFPA propaganda.

(and I think someone participating on this thread works as an NGO)

Edited by MaeJoMTB
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Really?

It seems to me that the woman who ended up pregnant, despite trying to stop the man and, when he refused to stop, wear a condom (something he also refused to do) while having sex (because it spoiled his fun-so manly), is in every sense of the word a victim. 

As to my life...it’s none of your business, but I am thankful it is very different to the one that leads to your way of thinking. 

Huh..... Trying to stop the man... You are talking about rape which is completely off topic. She ( and you)  should report this to the police.

• Like 1

In a lot of Asia, the girl may have been raped by, dear old Dad, or brother, or cousin or

uncle, and do you commenter think that these kind of fathers will take responsibility?

Yea remember you are talking about young Asian girls, not your girls. Try to think about

that, Okay!

Geezer

10 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Huh..... Trying to stop the man... You are talking about rape which is completely off topic. She ( and you)  should report this to the police.

You used the word, not me. 

I’m only repeating what was reported in the OP. 

For me, no means no. 

But then again, I was raised the right way. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, djayz said:

The woman gave her permission to have sex with her without using a condom.  It was her decision to have unprotected sex with a man.  Its her body, she got pregnant.  She is responsible.  

She invited 'the general in without protection'.  It was her choice.  Are you saying women are not capable of making a choice... only men should be allowed to make the decisions?

7 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

The woman gave her permission to have sex with her without using a condom.  It was her decision to have unprotected sex with a man.  Its her body, she got pregnant.  She is responsible.  

She invited 'the general in without protection'.  It was her choice.  Are you saying women are not capable of making a choice... only men should be allowed to make the decisions?

From the OP

he asked if we could have sex together.  At first I refused, but he kept insisting. Then, when I asked him to use a condom, he said, ‘No, it’s no fun to use,’’

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Equally 50/50 is right 

Are you saying, that as a women, you are incapable of taking full responsibility to make a decision to have safe sex?  You need a man to make the decision... ie, put on a condom... or else its 50 percent his fault?

I think women in this day and age know that if they have unprotected sex they have a chance to get pregnant, or a sexually transmitted disease, and so they would know to take precautions, unless they really actually did not care if they got pregnant.  

I think a woman has a brain and mind, and she should take the responsibility to look after her own body.  

7 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

From the OP

he asked if we could have sex together.  At first I refused, but he kept insisting. Then, when I asked him to use a condom, he said, ‘No, it’s no fun to use,’’

Exactly.  She agreed.  She could have said 'no condom no sex'.  But she did not.   It was her decision.  He did not rape her.  She wanted sex with him, and she made the bad choice to have unprotected sex for whatever reason.  

35 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Exactly.  She agreed.  She could have said 'no condom no sex'.  But she did not.   It was her decision.  He did not rape her.  She wanted sex with him, and she made the bad choice to have unprotected sex for whatever reason.  

He ignored her when she refused.

He refused to wear a condom when asked.

You can deny these facts all you want.

But as far as I'm concerned, no means no.

Ignoring her refusal and continuing to insist [and refusing to wear a condom] after that as far as I'm concerned is coercion...

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1