Foreign manager of Koh Phangan hostel faces deportation for cannabis possession

webfact

I feel sorry for the guy.  It does look as though they singled him out for some unknown reason.  If it was me I'd be more worried about getting kicked out of the Kingdom than anything else.

Oh yeah, he is from Lebanon.  

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

No Search Warrant was offered by the Police who simply circumnavigated the law and called up their Military colleagues to force the search... Surely this is not legal and any evidence found is also not legal/permissible?

TIT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tryasimight said:

Many countries have made homosexuality legal as well.  Go try it Saudi or Iran. 

The pros and construction of weed are irrelevant.  It is illegal under the law of Thailand. Arguments about it are futile. 

Personally I wish it was decriminalised but not legal.... Just a parking fine offence for personal use and possession of a few plants. 

I think legalising will only (eventually)  lead to Government regulation to the point it will be like buying a packet of smokes and become bland and boring with the profits going to the likes of Philip Morris and CO and the ( heavy)  taxes going to the Government. 

The real problem in this country isn't weed, or heroin as it once was. The big problem is meths, mostly Jaba, and that shit is available at almost every corner, at least in Isaan. It wouldn't be a problem to buy it and i guess same goes for kids.

My point being was more to point out which drugs are actually harming people in a way that they are mentally and/or physically addicted. People in Thailand who get caught with a little bit weed usually pay a little fine, as already reported by a member here a while ago. Even foreigners who got caught with a few grams only paid a fine.

Perhaps the reason why they call it a class 5 drug. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, AmericanBystander said:

In case you don't realize... 8 ounces is not a lot of pot.  

You can see a visualization of this here:

https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/visual-guide-to-cannabis-quantities

And the article states this man had a mere  "11 grams of cannabis".    

Wouldn't that necesitate bringing  along the Swat team and an armored personnel carrier?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Get Real said:

Good! Get rid of the junkie or pusher. What ever he might be. He break the law and should be deported or jailed. Gives more room for the real people that wants to do things the right way.

Just curious.  Have you never broken the law?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

What absolute inane dribble. Calling a pot smoker a junkie. There seems to be some very basic misunderstanding here. Or maybe you are Saudi? Or Jeff Sessions? What gives here? Why such a fabulous degree of ignorance? 

No but maybe you can't under that it is a JOKE

9 hours ago, Get Real said:

Good! Get rid of the junkie or pusher. What ever he might be. He break the law and should be deported or jailed. Gives more room for the real people that wants to do things the right way.

Shows your lack of understanding or lack of intelligence.

There is no such thing in the whole wide world as a cannabis/marijuana/hashish "junkie or pusher".

They do not exist.

Try again.

Maybe with heroin or meth or crack cocaine.

In those circles "junkies and pushers" do exist.

Two completely different scenes.

Dude.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, alex8912 said:

He is neither a junkie or pusher. Do you think everyone on the island plays by the same rules? Do you think Thais and foreigners have the same playing field in business? Do you think the police are law abiding?  Do you even know what 11 grams of cannibis is???  Who really are your made up "real people that wants to do things the right way"? Do you think if they exist they may have to pay bribes to police to even exist? 

RE -  Who really are your made up "real people that wants to do things the right way"? Do you think if they exist they may have to pay bribes to police to even exist? 

Different People different experiences. I know a handfull farangs who have performed small and midsize legal businesses (legal with a BIG L)  for the last 12 years in Thailand and have never paid bribes at all - not 1 baht as the businesses have all the required approvals and Licenses, have kept the visas and WP's intact and formally hired the required amount of thais in addition to clean accounting which means all taxes paid - based on that fact to be forced to pay bribes means Your business is illegal or Close to. If you create a such opening means you have noone else but yourself to blame, actually not more complicated than that ...:coffee1: 

Edited by ttrd
  • Thanks 1

The guys in uniform have monopoly on selling drugs on the islands....not a big secret...this just a way to get rid of competition...!!

The first suspect for the Koh Tao murders was the son of the local franchise owner....and not to stop the money flow to HQ in Bangkok, they were forced to find a couple of scapegoats...which they sadly managed to do.........And...business as usual

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wavemanwww said:

Nice sarcastic comment. I have no preconceived opinion about any race including my own which is Australian! Whether this guy was Aussie, US Thai, NZ etc etc still same comment.

To answer your last statement which was,So people that sell legal drugs, are they "scum" also?

To respond;

• He grew cannabis. My point was what other drugs may he be dealing with or laws to break. Would you grow cannabis in a country where laws change overnight unless there was money to be made. I wouldn't!

Cannabis is a category 5 which is the least harmful drug and so it should be a category 5 otherwise may as well ban alcohol!

• Yes he is scum. I lost not one but TWO brothers and they were in their early 20s due to drugs, So all dealers are scum.  I hope they  go to hell. Especially those in Category 1-2.

How many siblings have you lost to make such an open and bold  so called informative statement?

Absolutely nowhere in the article does it indicate he grew cannabis. 

In fact there is no indication that he sold cannabis, despite a vague allegation.

The amount discovered was tiny, likely worth less than 200 bucks, if even. 

You are simply making details up. 

And i know people who have died from drugs as well. And smoking cigarettes, and driving drunk.

But not cannabis.

So nice story but not relavent here.

Edited by HooHaa
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

Yeah I don't think many farangs get jobs as "scientists , lawyers, doctors, professors, policeman, firemen, pharmacists, politicians" 

Even if they did, I doubt they would be the spending their free time in Soi 6. Nothing wrong with Soi 6 anyway

the soi 6 bit was sarcasm:post-4641-1156693976: 

2 hours ago, mogandave said:

So you are still getting loaded, but only when you can get high quality bud.

Not a gateway drug...I wonder what percentage of heroin addicts started with weed. Everyone I ever knew...

And none of them drank or smoked tobacco?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AmericanBystander said:

In case you don't realize... 8 ounces is not a lot of pot.  

You can see a visualization of this here:

https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis-101/visual-guide-to-cannabis-quantities

Actually 8 ounces is a significant amount of weed by volume. A half pound to be exact. And that is an amont suitable for someone dealing.

11 grams however, which is the amount the manager had is not that much at all, approx 3/8 of an ounce.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

And none of them drank or smoked tobacco?

It is illegal for kids to smoke and drink as well, and if you make it to 21 without turning into a loady, odds are you're not going to start.

As far as booze & cigs, back then, everyone smoked, and most junkies I knew only drank when they were broke.

I know pot-heads love to say it's not a gate-way drug, but that simply has not been my experience. 

1 hour ago, HooHaa said:

Actually 8 ounces is a significant amount of weed by volume. A half pound to be exact. And that is an amont suitable for someone dealing.

11 grams however, which is the amount the manager had is not that much at all, approx 3/8 of an ounce.

It doesnt mean he was not involved With dealing - it may be that this was all that was left from dealing...:shock1:

Anyway - in Thailand there is zero tollerance so despite Our oppinion and regardless the quantity, he has broken the Law in Thailand and must face the consequenses - those who play With the fire...:coffee1:

Edited by ttrd
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, catman20 said:

guess i dont get out much. never knew we had these sort of farangs living in Thailand maybe you could point me in the right direction as to where all these descent people hang out. maybe Ruby bar soi 6?

What you've never had contact with any 'professional' level foreigners outside of Thailand? Look west and you'll see their point is true.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

4 hours ago, mogandave said:

So you are still getting loaded, but only when you can get high quality bud.

Not a gateway drug...I wonder what percentage of heroin addicts started with weed. Everyone I ever knew...

From another perspective, what percentage in fact started with alcohol or tobacco? Most, I suspect.

And what percentage of alcoholics (also drug addicts) started with weed? They tend to be exclusively tobacco and alcohol aficionados in my experience.. legal though so I guess their screwed up lives that affect themselves and those around them are perfectly fine.

4 hours ago, Get Real said:

See how many intelligent persons that replied above, in favor for ganja and pot smoking.

The thing is that you can comment as much as you want, and it still makes no differens. The drug he was found to have in possession is illegal in Thailand.
Therefore he should be jailed or just thrown out and banned. That´s what happens when you break the law in a foreign country,

Junkie is appearently a word some of the posters should google. It´means a person addicted to a drug.

If he want to smoke that shit, he should have gone to a country where its´s legal.

So now you can all go to sleep, knowing the facts, and why he is going to face deportation, or you can choose to talk for rubbish.

Actually no, he should be treated in exactly the same way a local would be for the same offence. In practice here for weed, that's a fine and no further issues.

Since you're familiar with google, you should also look up the word 'addicted'.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd
  • Thanks 1