Obtaining Visa Without Appointment

Hi everyone,

I am just hoping some of the board members will be able to give me some information regarding countries which you dont need a appointment to obtain a visa.

Myself and my wife (She has ILR) would like to take a break for a couple of days to somewhere like spain, poland, somewhere like that, but the problem is I know alot of countries only give out visa's by appointment and its a long trip for us get to London due to us living in the North-East - especially seeing as we only want a visa for a couple of days holiday in that certain country.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks everyone.

^ I wouldn't normally recommend agencies, but the wife and I used one to get her a visitor's visa to France, in part because of the difficulty in getting an appointment slot. The Embassy appears to be booked up regularly 6 weeks in advance. Agencies seem to be able to cut a deal to get an appointment slot within a couple of days and the stamped passport safely back within a week. We felt it was worth it for the 80 quid fee - as you say it does save a hefty train fare.

Myself and my wife (She has ILR) would like to take a break for a couple of days to somewhere like spain, poland, somewhere like that, but the problem is I know alot of countries only give out visa's by appointment and its a long trip for us get to London due to us living in the North-East - especially seeing as we only want a visa for a couple of days holiday in that certain country.

I know how you feel but I'm not sure that finding an embassy that doesn't require an appointment is the answer. I have, in the past, arrived in London at the embassy before opening time to be met by a queue, I stood outside in the pouring rain for one and a half hours and just as I reached the door they declared that they had received enough applications for the day, please come back tomorrow.

I think an appointment is far more favourable to that. However you should be aware that most European countries have consulates scattered around the UK who will also issue visas. As you live in the NE you may find this List of consulates in Scotland useful as a starter. Also a number of countries including Norway, France, Finland & Sweden have a consulate in Newcastle.

Edited by Mahout Angrit

Unfortunately, many of the consulates dotted around the UK don't take in visa applications. My wife and I are off to Norway later on in the year, so I've been checking up on the process of getting her a visa. There is a Norwegian consulate in Liverpool, but they don't accept visa applications, so we have to attend the embassy in London. I know the visa is free, but it's a lot of messing about, and many of the European embassies appear to be similar.

Scouse.

Unfortunately, many of the consulates dotted around the UK don't take in visa applications.

True and in fact most dont actually issue the Visa but they act as reception posts where you can deposit your application and they then forward it to the embassy. Sure beats that trip to London.

If you could persuade your wife that Denmark or Iceland is better than Norway then you could make you application in Manchester.