Supermarket With Foriegn Foodstuff In Hh

chiang mai

We've just sold our condo in Chiang Mai and are considering very strongly a move to Hua Hin. We've been there many times and understand quite a lot about the place but have never checked out things like supermarkets etc. In Chiang Mai we have a great supermarket chain that is more or less dedicated to supplying foreign food stuff to farangs and it's truly an excellent place. Here in CM I am able to buy virtually any food product I could buy in the UK and many products from the US and Australia.

My question is, is there a similar type of place in HH and please, not Tesco Lotus.

Not just one place, I'm afraid - you can get different things in different places:

Hua Hin Ham Bacon & Meat does good imported meat, pies, oven-ready meals, frozen veg etc. They've also started stocking things such as PG Tips & Yorkshire teabags, Branston Pickle, Robinsons squashes, tinned processed peas, tinned UK curries, marmite and various other grocery goods.

Hua Hin Shopping Mall has a few bits & pieces (as does Tesco - sorry).

The Royal Print Supermarket in Damnernkasem Rd (opposite the pizza restaurant) has a good selection of imported snack foods & tinned goods from various countries.

All in Hua Hin Bistro & Delizie (behind old shopping mall) both sell good deli meats, cheeses, breads & other bits & pieces

Lastly, Mini Farm is good for imported fruit & veg (fresh cherries, peaches etc) & items like pita bread, bagels, olive oils, vinegars, cottage cheeses, feta etc etc

Is there anything in particular you find it hard to live without? If you can give a few examples, I'll let you know if they are readily available here.

Hope that helps a little. :o

Not just one place, I'm afraid - you can get different things in different places:

Hua Hin Ham Bacon & Meat does good imported meat, pies, oven-ready meals, frozen veg etc. They've also started stocking things such as PG Tips & Yorkshire teabags, Branston Pickle, Robinsons squashes, tinned processed peas, tinned UK curries, marmite and various other grocery goods.

Hua Hin Shopping Mall has a few bits & pieces (as does Tesco - sorry).

The Royal Print Supermarket in Damnernkasem Rd (opposite the pizza restaurant) has a good selection of imported snack foods & tinned goods from various countries.

All in Hua Hin Bistro & Delizie (behind old shopping mall) both sell good deli meats, cheeses, breads & other bits & pieces

Lastly, Mini Farm is good for imported fruit & veg (fresh cherries, peaches etc) & items like pita bread, bagels, olive oils, vinegars, cottage cheeses, feta etc etc

Is there anything in particular you find it hard to live without? If you can give a few examples, I'll let you know if they are readily available here.

Hope that helps a little. :o

Thanks for a great reply. No there's nothing in particular that I must have it's simply that I take the convenience of supply here in CM for granted and wondered if HH had similar. Maybe I'll have a chat with the supermarket owner here in CM and try to convince him to open a HH branch! You would love it.

• 2 months later...

Thanks also November Rain (great track by the way), I'll check a few of these places out tomorrow if I can find them on the map I've got.

Where are the Ham Bacon & Meat place and the Minit Farm situated? Could do with finding a place that has good steak for sale, and I always like to have fresh fruit in the house.

gee an teung supermarket on the left over the railway tracks have a good selection of imported foodstuffs and also sell hua hin ham and bacon products.

tescos fruit and veg are relatively pricey and the choice is not always up to much, local markets offer better stuff at better prices , and golden place supermarket near the palace have organic fruit and veg.

50 yds south of golden place is baguette bakery selling good bread and cakes, tarts and buns and a small selection of cheeses

gee an teung supermarket on the left over the railway tracks have a good selection of imported foodstuffs and also sell hua hin ham and bacon products.

tescos fruit and veg are relatively pricey and the choice is not always up to much, local markets offer better stuff at better prices , and golden place supermarket near the palace have organic fruit and veg.

50 yds south of golden place is baguette bakery selling good bread and cakes, tarts and buns and a small selection of cheeses

The Ham and Bacon shop, Bread shop and Golden place are all quite close together and only a five minute bike ride from where I'm staying.

Golden Place, good fruit and veg, many european vegetables aswell. Great selection of Salads, many types of Lettuce, big beef tomatoes etc. This place seems popular with the Thais, (is there a connection with the King and this shop?), many upmarket Thai branded groceries, a little western food, pleasant shop.

Bread shop, very good crusty white bread, not sweet, baguettes, loafs, buns and cakes, quiches etc.many styles and baguettes at 18Bht a stick, very good value.

Ham and Bacon shop, a little treasure trove of western branded foods. Lot's of things I've not seen even in Villa or Foodland. - Robertsons Jams, Sharwoods Curries, Coleman's Sauces of many types. Got myself a really nice Argentina Rib Eye, pricey but the best steak I've had in a long time. Basically a freezer shop, lots of meat from every country, all butchered out to every available cut you could think of. Busy shop too, many expat customers while I was there. Got a few pies to try and some bacon a sausage for breakfast tomorrow.

Thanks November Rain and Taxexile for the info, life in Hua Hin is going to be a lot more pleasant. If I find anymore little gems here I'll update you all.

This place seems popular with the Thais, (is there a connection with the King and this shop?),

its next to his palace and a lot of the fruit and veg come from the royal agricultural projects in the area.

ive been told that he once made a surprise visit to the shop and helped serve customers there.

The Ham and Bacon shop, Bread shop and Golden place are all quite close together and only a five minute bike ride from where I'm staying.

Golden Place, good fruit and veg, many european vegetables aswell. Great selection of Salads, many types of Lettuce, big beef tomatoes etc. This place seems popular with the Thais, (is there a connection with the King and this shop?), many upmarket Thai branded groceries, a little western food, pleasant shop.

Bread shop, very good crusty white bread, not sweet, baguettes, loafs, buns and cakes, quiches etc.many styles and baguettes at 18Bht a stick, very good value.

Ham and Bacon shop, a little treasure trove of western branded foods. Lot's of things I've not seen even in Villa or Foodland. - Robertsons Jams, Sharwoods Curries, Coleman's Sauces of many types. Got myself a really nice Argentina Rib Eye, pricey but the best steak I've had in a long time. Basically a freezer shop, lots of meat from every country, all butchered out to every available cut you could think of. Busy shop too, many expat customers while I was there. Got a few pies to try and some bacon a sausage for breakfast tomorrow.

Thanks November Rain and Taxexile for the info, life in Hua Hin is going to be a lot more pleasant. If I find anymore little gems here I'll update you all.

One stop shopping for all farang food is on the way to Hua Hin. Villa have signed a contract to open a branch on Petchkasem.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For the very best Sausages/Bacon/Pies you cant beat the Cottage Kitchen.

You can buy their products direct or the old shopping mall and at Okey supermarket in Cha Am.

They also stock,

Bovril

OXO

Marmite

Branston pickle

Colemans sauces

Mint sauce

Pickled onions/eggs

Various English brand teas.

And coming soon

Kp Nuts (various)

Ambrosia creamed rice/custard

Heinz baked beans

Branston baked beans

Peas processed/garden

Lloyd Grossman sauces

Xmas puds

Too much more to list.

And FDA approved. :o

We've tried the various outlets and manufacturers in Hua Hin and we like many others I know, use Ham and Bacon company, the quality of their goods is far superior to the others. They also have plenty of stock which you do not find at the other places.

All in Hua Hin, is good for deli style goods, like various cheeses, pates and hams etc.

Burgernev

Horses for courses as they say. when is the 7million factory update finished?

All in Hua Hin is very good but more for the German market as you know. but do stock some good cheeses.

Still awaiting news of Villa Supermarket opening, this should make a real difference to the town as the meats are top draw.

Tesco are good for Hams Chicken and Pork and are improving on the red meats, When we spoke to Tesco in BKK they did say that all stores will soon be stocking more Farang friendly products in the near future. of course we have carrefour opening at some time and now we also have Makro opening in Pranburi.

There will be a lot of changes here in the near future me thinks. :o

Mike.

Edited by tuktukmike

Horses for courses as they say. when is the 7million factory update finished?

All in Hua Hin is very good but more for the German market as you know. but do stock some good cheeses.

Still awaiting news of Villa Supermarket opening, this should make a real difference to the town as the meats are top draw.

Tesco are good for Hams Chicken and Pork and are improving on the red meats, When we spoke to Tesco in BKK they did say that all stores will soon be stocking more Farang friendly products in the near future. of course we have carrefour opening at some time and now we also have Makro opening in Pranburi.

There will be a lot of changes here in the near future me thinks. :D

Mike.

Its beginning to sound depressingly similar to any large UK town centre! :o

For the very best Sausages/Bacon/Pies you cant beat the Cottage Kitchen.

You can buy their products direct or the old shopping mall and at Okey supermarket in Cha Am.

They also stock,

Bovril

OXO

Marmite

Branston pickle

Colemans sauces

Mint sauce

Pickled onions/eggs

Various English brand teas.

And coming soon

Kp Nuts (various)

Ambrosia creamed rice/custard

Heinz baked beans

Branston baked beans

Peas processed/garden

Lloyd Grossman sauces

Xmas puds

Too much more to list.

And FDA approved. :o

anyone know the address of the Okey supermarket in Cha-am or can give directions when coming from Petchaburi?

• 1 year later...

For those who were asking about Hua Hin, Villa Market (the supermarket chain in Thailand that caters exclusively to foreigners and their imported needs) opened a branch here last year, so now nearly anything you could want is available.

• 6 months later...
For those who were asking about Hua Hin, Villa Market (the supermarket chain in Thailand that caters exclusively to foreigners and their imported needs) opened a branch here last year, so now nearly anything you could want is available.

On other pages on this forum I only see information about the Market Village. What is the location of Villa Market (street name or Soi nr.) ? Thanks in advance for your reply.

It's on the main road (Petchkasem Road) close to the center of town. Not particularly easy to spot from the road as there are other shops in front, but towards the road you will see a restaurant called "Pizza Pizza", it's behind there.

A map can be seen here: <URL trimmed*>

* Because I got the error-message
You are not allowed to post a URL

Thanks a lot for the fast reply and map. It was indeed a bit difficult too spot. This afternoon (before I got your reply) I went to HH to have another look and found it. Quite possible that at my first search my view was blocked by a bus or truck. Villa looks a bit like a small version of Rimping in Chiangmai: much better than Lotus. I also paid a visit to the older Gee An Teung. Nothing fancy, but offering quite a lot of stuff I earlier bought at much higher prices at Lotus.