A True Con

gjones

Sine the New Year my internet speed has slowed right down to almost snail mail pace.

I am paying True for 2.5MBps however my download speed: is 474 kbps (59.3 KB/sec transfer rate) and upload speed: 206 kbps (25.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

True seems to blame the damage to the internet cable coming from Korea.

Anyone else living in the land of smiles experiencing such rubbish internet service?

Anyone else living in the land of smiles experiencing such rubbish internet service?

yes, go back a few pages and read all the other threads.

It's Taiwan, not Korea where the problem lays and it's not just Thailand, Singapore is not so good either. Last l heard it's still going to be weeks rather than days before it's all fixed. Some sites work okay but a lot of US sites are still very, very slow.

Sine the New Year my internet speed has slowed right down to almost snail mail pace.

I am paying True for 2.5MBps however my download speed: is 474 kbps (59.3 KB/sec transfer rate) and upload speed: 206 kbps (25.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Me having same problem like you since the Taiwan earthquake. it will take another week or two before they fix the undersea cables.

It's Taiwan, not Korea where the problem lays and it's not just Thailand, Singapore is not so good either. Last l heard it's still going to be weeks rather than days before it's all fixed. Some sites work okay but a lot of US sites are still very, very slow.

But everything in these other countries is operating normally now, or so I'm told, since their ISP's rerouted traffic around the damage and reestablished their normal bandwidth. Of course, that requires ISP's to pay more for the use of the rerouted bandwidth. No one who has lived here more than six months is remotely surprised that Thai ISP's haven't done the same thing.

The clowns who operate ISP's here are primarily concerned about collecting as much revenue as possible and spending as little as possible on whatever service they (have to) provide. After all, what are we going to do about it? Move to Singapore?

Hey, there's an idea.......

Yes, the earthquake near Taiwan is the culprit.

But things are getting better by the day.

The constant re-routing of traffic causes problems for users in the Asia-Pacific region.

Whenever I experience a slowdown in speed I do the following:

1) clear the Internet browser cache

and

2) switch off the router for 2-3 minutes and then re-start it.

It works every time and gets me back to almost pre-earthquake speeds.

Note: I'm on a TRUE ADSL 1Mbps connection in BKK.

opalhort

It appears that the problem is with direct link (DACOM) True has to Korea (via Taiwan). This link is still down!

see here:

http://webcorp.asianet.co.th/eh/linkinter/linkstatus.php

TRUE network status

opalhort

===============================================================================

I bet your download speed is much faster. Test it on http://www.thaivisa.com/speedtest/ or adslthailand.com (localnet) and let us know!

BTW Why did you have to start the 99th thread about the same subject. I think Thai Visa could be a much better place if people first searched before opening a new thread about an existing subject.

Perhaps a temporary ban for those lazy members would be good ..... :o

I think it's a good idea to keep bringing up the subject fresh, People need constantly reminding that...

So called 'hi-speed' internet in Thailand is a joke.

Pre/post earthquake it was rubbish.

In the last few weeks we have been told that:

1. The router was no good - they changed it

2. The earthquake is causing problems

3. Need to re-set the router - my wife has done this at least twice a day. Why should we have to re-set the router twice a day?

Nothing improves the service. The bill is always high speed and on time though.

Keep the subject alive and keep complaining as they might eventually do something about it, or at least admit it's a con!

Spot

I bet your download speed is much faster. Test it on http://www.thaivisa.com/speedtest/ or adslthailand.com (localnet) and let us know!

BTW Why did you have to start the 99th thread about the same subject. I think Thai Visa could be a much better place if people first searched before opening a new thread about an existing subject.

Perhaps a temporary ban for those lazy members would be good ..... :o

I did two test on two different on-line speed test and provided the best and not the worst result - the http://www.thaivisa.com/speedtest/ is not working - expired licence i think or it could be another earth quake in taiwan

Newsweek International

Jan. 29, 2007 issue - In 1866, the British ship Great Eastern lowered a grappling hook by rope down to the frigid Atlantic Ocean floor far below. Its quarry: a line that had snapped the previous year during one of the first attempts to lay a transatlantic cable connecting the United States with Europe. One hundred and forty years later, repair ships are performing the same task, using essentially the same methods, in the Luzon Strait between Taiwan and the Philippines. They're trying to snag at least six cables that were damaged in a massive Dec. 26 earthquake off the coast of Taiwan. The mangled cables are out of reach of remotely controlled submersibles often used in such work. By the latest estimates, the task won't be finished until at least mid-February.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16725529/site/newsweek/

=============================================================

I think it's a good idea to keep bringing up the subject fresh, People need constantly reminding that...

I think it's a waste of bandwidth. What purpose does it have? Do you really think ISPs take notice

and improve the situation?

ISPs give 80% or more of the local bandwidth they promise. Nothing to complain about. All ISPs

depend on the international bnandwidth given and needed.

My POV is quite clear, the situation has been that for years it will not change in the coming years.

Those who keep on complaining about the slow international connection should not stay here and return

to their own country (where everything is perfect :o ).

99 of new opened threads about the same subject pollute the board ....

I think it's a waste of bandwidth. What purpose does it have? Do you really think ISPs take notice

ISPs give 80% or more of the local bandwidth they promise. Nothing to complain about. All ISPs

My POV is quite clear, the situation has been that for years it will not change in the coming years.

Those who keep on complaining about the slow international connection should not stay here and return

hey sniffdog, today I have read 4 of your posts and not on the same topic, all 4 have been basically telling people off for not using search or discussing same topic as a previous post or what ever, if they have not broken forum rules then <deleted>, personally i think a fresh thread on an existing subject is good, especially if recent changes and updates are available, I hate trawling through a thread with 20 pages and multiple useless posts looking for something of intrest, so take it easy mate and relax

4 posts .... my memory must be fading .... I remember only one ..... and besides that I am allowed to give my honest opinion. That's where a forum is for ... is it, clever monkey?

BTW You might work on your writing style, then perhaps I have a clue where you're talking about. :o

Edited by sniffdog

I still say that the subject of poor internet service should be posted on a frequent basis.

I'm not so much complaining about the speed - it's the fact that the whole thing is a con. 'All' the internet providers are still advertising hi-speed internet connection and making out that the service works.... which is a blatant lie!

It just doesn't work properly.

By the way 'sniffer dog'. It doesn't matter which country I'm in - I don't like being conned and asked to pay for something which just doesn't work.

And about the earthquake - it was bad before that. Now they just have another excuse to use.

The guy who made the original post was just asking a simple question, which is one of the reasons we have the forum...

Hey sniffdog it my rights to complain especially if I am paying for something I don't get- my home country is the UK - this place is where people pay more for rubbish service than anywhere else in the world - it came from an american idea of giving people sh-it and they will eat sh-it - its just a shame that big business idoligy spreads like sh-it

my argument is simple. I like to get what I pay for and it does not matter from who or which country or idividual or race that comes from. Its my well earned money and how I chose to spend it is my concern and my rights whether I am in Thailand or any where else in the world to complain if that service falls short ( Kawjai)

4 posts .... my memory must be fading .... I remember only one ..... and besides that I am allowed to give my honest opinion. That's where a forum is for ... is it, clever monkey?

BTW You might work on your writing style, then perhaps I have a clue where you're talking about. :o

now perhaps you could type that again in such a way "where" we could all understand

I assume your native lingo is English ?

recently True installed PorchLight m***f*** device between your actual connection (ADSL) and Internet - it's kinda garbage collector- network cache server - that delays and keep sites ti make it easier to access. It done to save International Bandwidth by chaiching traffic.

Sucks, big time.. have to refresh 3-4 times every page, inside sites they invlude add content from anacopa.* and so...

Snart ass solution, I say

Somewhere close by me has an open wifi connection. I click on it (conexant) and I get a (very low) signal, but this low signal gets me everywhere including international sites fast, alot faster than true - and until the signal is turned off or disappears I get none of the error messages I get constantly with true wifi ...i.e. server not found/time out etc. How come my leeched signal has no problem accessing international sites?

How come I can leech a 'free' better service than the one I'm f***king paying for??

Alas, at some point my 'free' service is turned off and I have to go back to true...Back to mostly nothing all day.

My wife and brother in law (Thai mr snifferdog) who use the fixed line connection also say the service is rubbish!

They want to go back to pre-pay dial up, which they say is faster and more reliable.

Hey sniffdog it my rights to complain especially if I am paying for something I don't get- my home country is the UK - this place is where people pay more for rubbish service than anywhere else in the world - it came from an american idea of giving people sh-it and they will eat sh-it - its just a shame that big business idoligy spreads like sh-it

my argument is simple. I like to get what I pay for and it does not matter from who or which country or idividual or race that comes from. Its my well earned money and how I chose to spend it is my concern and my rights whether I am in Thailand or any where else in the world to complain if that service falls short ( Kawjai)

OK sure you dont like paying for service you dont get... Now adapt to the 3rd world idea that you pay for internet and get the speeds you currently have.. Dont like it ?? Then dont use the service and live without it. Simple. Dont come to the developing world and expect your ombudsman to help you.

Somewhere close by me has an open wifi connection. I click on it (conexant) and I get a (very low) signal, but this low signal gets me everywhere including international sites fast, alot faster than true - and until the signal is turned off or disappears I get none of the error messages I get constantly with true wifi ...i.e. server not found/time out etc. How come my leeched signal has no problem accessing international sites?

How come I can leech a 'free' better service than the one I'm f***king paying for??

Alas, at some point my 'free' service is turned off and I have to go back to true...Back to mostly nothing all day.

My wife and brother in law (Thai mr snifferdog) who use the fixed line connection also say the service is rubbish!

They want to go back to pre-pay dial up, which they say is faster and more reliable.

Probably because he pays a much higher priced service than you.. I have been assured I can get very real speeds via a service.. quoted a price that was in 10's of 1000 a month tho.. So its a case of put up or shut up ?? If you want those kind of service levels expect to pay many many multiples of what it would cost 'back home'.. So if you want the cheap stuff then you have to put up with the 3rd world service levels.

With True, it's not so cut and dry, since their engineers and marketing (and basically all their employees) are so darn clueless. I've seen way too many examples of subscribing to the exact same package but getting completely different international performance (but the same local performance), with the only difference being the locale, and even then not by much (around 1-2km apart). One office gets around 10-50k performance on a 2.5m line, while another just a couple kilometers away, using the EXACT same package, gets the full 2.5m (tested using speakeasy, and backed up by observing real-world downloads performance).

Edited by Firefoxx

All Thai ISP's suck plain and simple. It took me 3 minutes to load this page and I am not exagerating. Right now I feel like moving to China or Vietnam to get a decent internet connection. This country is falling so far back that they will have to import all skilled labor from Vietnam soon. Even Somalia and Afganastan are far more technologically advanced than this poor exuse for a 3rd world country.

Also, I just moved into a condo close to Sukhumvit and my Orange (mobile) will not work inside!! IMVHO, thais deserve to be dirt poor as they make no effort to improve their lives or country. Mai Pen Rai

and No, I am not usually so pissed off but need the internet to make money and i am losing money now because i have chosen to live here.

Guest RealEstateBroker
All Thai ISP's suck plain and simple. It took me 3 minutes to load this page and I am not exagerating. Right now I feel like moving to China or Vietnam to get a decent internet connection. This country is falling so far back that they will have to import all skilled labor from Vietnam soon. Even Somalia and Afganastan are far more technologically advanced than this poor exuse for a 3rd world country.

Also, I just moved into a condo close to Sukhumvit and my Orange (mobile) will not work inside!! IMVHO, thais deserve to be dirt poor as they make no effort to improve their lives or country. Mai Pen Rai

and No, I am not usually so pissed off but need the internet to make money and i am losing money now because i have chosen to live here.

paperwerks, do some homework and move to a building that has fast internet with TOT and change form Orange

to DTAC. I also live and die on the Internet and my mobile. My condo is a five minute walk to suk and the BTS,

I have a very fast TOT 1024/512 that never got much slower with the problem the last few weeks and my DTAC

works inside my condo and about 99.999 percent of the places I travel in Thailand.

It's good to see that Thai Visa still has some members with brains .... :o

My advice to GJones and Spot .... lighten up and the test on Thai Visa (http://speedtest.thaivisa.com/). This measures international

traffic from Singapore.

Thai ISPs carry an article in their conditions that you will get the maximum speed if circumstances permit ... if you get 70-80% you might consider if they 'con' you ...

But you've probably already found this out in the other 139 similar threads ...

FYI These are mine:

Last Result:

Download Speed: 849 kbps (106.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 386 kbps (48.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

TOT GoldCyber 1024/512

post-6768-1169968186_thumb.jpg

And if it doesn't work out that positive, just switch to TOT, which hasn't these fancy 2.5 and 4mb packages but delivers a decent way with a

'low' speed package. As RealEstateBroker I am pretty satisfied. If something doesn't work correctly, I try to find a solution. Which isn't

opening a 140th thread about low performing Thai ISPs.

Edited by sniffdog