Looking At Accomodation For 3 Months

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone here can give me some sort of advice. I've been toying with the idea of relocating my family to Thailand and probably Koh Samui in specific. We're planning on coming over in June for 3 months to see how we like it and have been trying to get information of renting a house with little success (I've emailed agents on the Island but the never seem to reply). I have a few questions:

1)If we were to turn up there and stay at a hotel while we looked for a place, how quickly could we rent a place to live in? Like could we move in within a couple of days of sighting a house we liked?

2) Are there any tricks or scams we need to avoid, hidden costs, etc? Or better yet can someone recommend a few good people to see to show us rental property

3) What would be the best place for a family of 4 (two kids under 3)? Are there complexes/areas with bungalows for rent which are more family friendly?

Optimally we are after a place with a pool which is close to a nice beach.

Any help would be greatly apprectiated.

Hi there,

I'm hoping someone here can give me some sort of advice. I've been toying with the idea of relocating my family to Thailand and probably Koh Samui in specific. We're planning on coming over in June for 3 months to see how we like it and have been trying to get information of renting a house with little success (I've emailed agents on the Island but the never seem to reply). I have a few questions:

1)If we were to turn up there and stay at a hotel while we looked for a place, how quickly could we rent a place to live in? Like could we move in within a couple of days of sighting a house we liked?

2) Are there any tricks or scams we need to avoid, hidden costs, etc? Or better yet can someone recommend a few good people to see to show us rental property

3) What would be the best place for a family of 4 (two kids under 3)? Are there complexes/areas with bungalows for rent which are more family friendly?

Optimally we are after a place with a pool which is close to a nice beach.

Any help would be greatly apprectiated.

Personally I would avoid agents at all. You just need to drive around and look for yourself what area suits you and your family best. There are plenty of properties for rent, both short and long-term. Book yourself into a hotel for a week or so and in that time you should have found something suitable. One property I can recommend (though I am not staying there) is Phatong Residence (near the airport on the way to Big Buddha).

Some of the houses are brand new with 2 and 3 bedrooms, one big communal pool. fitness, sauna etc. Very safe area and the owners are well respected. Good mix of foreigners stay there (incl. some small famileies). Just hunt around I would say.

Personally I would avoid agents at all. You just need to drive around and look for yourself what area suits you and your family best. There are plenty of properties for rent, both short and long-term. Book yourself into a hotel for a week or so and in that time you should have found something suitable. One property I can recommend (though I am not staying there) is Phatong Residence (near the airport on the way to Big Buddha).

Some of the houses are brand new with 2 and 3 bedrooms, one big communal pool. fitness, sauna etc. Very safe area and the owners are well respected. Good mix of foreigners stay there (incl. some small famileies). Just hunt around I would say.

Cheers for the advice, It appears agents worldwide dont seem to be worth giving the time of day to. How does one identify what is for rent then - do properties just have "for rent" signs out the front?

if you want to be near chaweng town the perfect place is lakeview bungalows, it has a huge garden with a pool, the property is safe and secure with only 10 houses the owner who is a childrens doctor at the international hospital lives there with her two children, her manager is from swedan. check it out at

[email protected]

Lake view.............Chaweng lake.......hmm, remember those days where all kloaks specially from Reagge bar went that way.........

Not to talk about mosquitozzzzzzzzzz but ofcourse , np the owner is a doctor :o:D

Talk to [email protected] he can surely give you some good advices, you are also welcome to come and see my house in June.......Brand new near beach with pool...we will stay there from 21 of June......pm me if you're interested.

if you want to be near chaweng town the perfect place is lakeview bungalows, it has a huge garden with a pool, the property is safe and secure with only 10 houses the owner who is a childrens doctor at the international hospital lives there with her two children, her manager is from swedan. check it out at

[email protected]

Lake view.............Chaweng lake.......hmm, remember those days where all kloaks specially from Reagge bar went that way.........

Not to talk about mosquitozzzzzzzzzz but ofcourse , np the owner is a doctor :o:D

Talk to [email protected] he can surely give you some good advices, you are also welcome to come and see my house in June.......Brand new near beach with pool...we will stay there from 21 of June......pm me if you're interested.

Have you been there?

It's on the hillside with view over the lake, not next to the lake.

Same amount of mosquitozzzzzzzzzz as other places.

Budget, which Area?

There is lot's... but have to finetune what you want, where and how much you are willing to spend for the premises.

The budget is flexible, but up to 25k a month. Needs to have a small kitchen. In terms of areas, we'd prefer the less busy areas (i.e. not Chaweng), probably somewhere like Maenam or Bophut. Aircon and access to a swimming pool would be essential too as well as a reasonably close proximity to the beach.

Budget, which Area?

There is lot's... but have to finetune what you want, where and how much you are willing to spend for the premises.

The budget is flexible, but up to 25k a month. Needs to have a small kitchen. In terms of areas, we'd prefer the less busy areas (i.e. not Chaweng), probably somewhere like Maenam or Bophut. Aircon and access to a swimming pool would be essential too as well as a reasonably close proximity to the beach.

http://www.sawadee.com/hotel/samui/savehouse/

• 2 weeks later...
Budget, which Area?

http://www.sawadee.com/hotel/samui/savehouse/

I agree with maccaroniman. I spend 3 months on lakeview bungalow myself last year and its a really great place. With the motorbike it takes 5 minutes to the beach as well as the bar area! I paid only 18000 bath for a house with a kitchen and one bedroom. Great garden and a really nice swimmingpool. I paid 700/month for wireless adsl connection!

lakeview.... just so i am clear, is that the place just a little down from the Q Club entrance, greenish houses? Or is it the place that previously doubled as a school?

Asking as I am looking in a few weeks.

Also, would anyone know 'Tall Paul'? Tall guy, built well, bald head. He has a place on Soi Monkey, 7/8 houses supposed to be very nice. I would like a little info on these if anyone knows. Website would be great.

I have not lived in samui for a year or two. Is ADSL more available now? Ban Plai Leam area is of special interest for me but im not sure on the ADSL situation

lakeview.... just so i am clear, is that the place just a little down from the Q Club entrance, greenish houses? Or is it the place that previously doubled as a school?

Asking as I am looking in a few weeks.

Also, would anyone know 'Tall Paul'? Tall guy, built well, bald head. He has a place on Soi Monkey, 7/8 houses supposed to be very nice. I would like a little info on these if anyone knows. Website would be great.

I have not lived in samui for a year or two. Is ADSL more available now? Ban Plai Leam area is of special interest for me but im not sure on the ADSL situation

Yeah, i know lakeview, right beside q-bar entrance and they told me it has been a scool two years ago. Supergood place. Motorbike-rental for fair prices,bungalows a bit lowstandard but very quiet and close to center. Beutiful garden and nice people around. I specially enjoy watching the gardener harvesting coconuts!! Good adsl connection on the compound. In ban plai leam area there is not so good connections, very slow but ok for checking mail i guess.