Proof of Residence for 5 year renewal of driving license

johnnyonesock

9 hours ago, johnnyonesock said:

is this sufficient for renewal of my driving license or do i require something in writing from immigration?

Yes,  you need a Residence Certificate from Immigration to prove your address to the Land Transport Office unless you  have a work permit 

Some LTO's will accept a Yellow Book but most want the certificate that is issued by the Immigration Office where you do your 90 day report.  The TM 30 will get you the Residency Certificate from Immigration since it is in their computer

Well knock me over with a feather.....inflation is rampant in Chiang Mai Immigration.  Not too long ago it was 500 baht.

Hopefully as one post said, it all depends on the IO that happens to be at that desk.

I need to renew my licences and will have to get a CoR as I'm not in any yellow/green or whatever coloured books.

Seems like a crock of the proverbial....but having the licence is better than getting fined everytime you get stopped at one of those revenue gathering checkpoints.

Cheers for the attached blog about the increase of fees for the CoR.

20 hours ago, Langsuan Man said:

Yes,  you need a Residence Certificate from Immigration to prove your address to the Land Transport Office unless you  have a work permit 

Some LTO's will accept a Yellow Book but most want the certificate that is issued by the Immigration Office where you do your 90 day report.  The TM 30 will get you the Residency Certificate from Immigration since it is in their computer

Interesting about some LTOs not accepting a Yellow Book.

You may alternatively provide a CoR from your embassy/consulate.

If you are a US citizen, it is in the form of an affidavit you can download from the Consulate website and you make an appointment with the embassy to have them notarize it. It costs $50.

While the Thai IMM CoR is valid up to 3 months, the Affidavit is valid for up to a year. But once you provide either document to the Land Transport Office they keep it.

3 minutes ago, jeffandgop said:

You may alternatively provide a CoR from your embassy/consulate.

If you are a US citizen, it is in the form of an affidavit you can download from the Consulate website and you make an appointment with the embassy to have them notarize it. It costs $50.

While the Thai IMM CoR is valid up to 3 months, the Affidavit is valid for up to a year. But once you provide either document to the Land Transport Office they keep it.

Here are the requirements as provided at the Land Transport Office info desk on the 2nd floor..............

RENEW THAI DL (5 YEARS MORE).jpg

• Thanks 2

Last time at Promenada the immigration upstairs said it would take a couple of weeks to prepare it as they were very busy. As I needed it sooner she said down below next the photo shop there was a guy who would get it fast for 500 baht. I go down to the appointed office and there is a fellow at a  small table who says I need new photos as mine had a white background and the new rule was they now needed blue background.  A fee of 250 baht. So I did this , gave him 500 baht and picked up the  certificate the next day. This fellow was an agent not from immigration. It matters not how the system works only that I get what I need to satisfy immigration.

7 hours ago, jeffandgop said:

Here are the requirements as provided at the Land Transport Office info desk on the 2nd floor..............

Useful :thumbsup:

At my DLT (not CM) the yellow book was accepted in 2015 and will be accepted next week (I checked with them in advance). Also it was OK for buying motorbike in my name last year.

One of the DLT offices that is repeatedly reported for refusing YB is Pattaya.

2 hours ago, johnmcc6 said:

there is a fellow at a  small table who says I need new photos as mine had a white background and the new rule was they now needed blue background.

Rules from Absurdistan.

Chief's favorite.:cheesy:

There were other threads about this highly important matter and the conclusion was "white"/"light".

20 hours ago, CMKiwi said:

So it appears that all is not black white in regards costs for the CoR...

Whoever looks gullable is sure to pay through their teeth 

the Residence Certificate was 500 baht yesterday from a man in a small office next to the photocopy shop..he also wanted a copy of my condo rental agreement

On 3/6/2018 at 5:31 AM, jeffandgop said:

RENEW THAI DL (5 YEARS MORE).jpg

What does 'before expiration date 90 days' mean?

a. More than 90 days before expiry date

b. Less than 90 days before expiry date

I plan to renew more than 90 days before expiry date, is that possible?