Birth Certificate Problem

tee1eel

Hi, my problem is: my daughter was born in the UK, I'am English, my daughter's father Thai. We were not married when she was born nor was he there when i registered her birth, therefore I wasn't allowed to put his name on the birth certificate. A couple of years ago my daughter and I moved to Thailand to be with her father and we got married. Now we need to get her registered here, get her a passport etc. Does anyone know how we can go about getting her a Thai birth certificate that includes her fathers name? Amphur office wasn't too sure of the procedure, British embassy had no idea, The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said to go to their Bangkok office, with everything we have - passports, UK birth cert, id card, marriage certificate, house book etc and they can do it, but i would think we need to prove that my husband is the father (by DNA) this was not mentioned....? Any help. advice would be great, before we travel up to BKK

How old is your Daughter

If the child was not born in Thailand most of the time a DNA test is not required to be named the father if not married to the mother, it just needs the daughter if over about 7 years and the mother to agree you are the father it the Ampur

So MFA might not need a DNA test

In Thailand a mans name on the birth cert means nothing if not married to the mother, the mother has sole custody over the child

Edited by offset

Hi, thanks....

Our daughter is 10 now.....

We went to the amphur's office when we married ( over two years ago) and asked about this and they were not sure what to do as his name is not on the UK birth cert. They said we need to go to BKK (MoFA)...

My marriage visa needs renewing in a couple of months and they said we have to have a Thai birth cert. for my daughter or she and i have to leave Thailand!!

Can't see how I can get my husbands name on a Thai birth cert. (If it's just a translation of the English one and his name is not on that) or maybe they can add it on as we are now married? 

A Thai birth certificate is issued by the amphur in which the child was born. In case of a birth abroad that will be the Thai embassy/general consulate for that area. That is why there is need to go to BKK. The consular affairs department of the MoFA there will collect the documents and send them to the embassy in London, so they can issue the birth certificate. With that the child will be known as a Thai national to the Thai government.

The consular department is at Laksi, not at the ministry itself. It will take a couple of months.

If married to a Thai there is no need to leave the country,  proof of marriage is in your case enough to extend your and your daughters stay for 1 year.