Jewelry overseas

yzak

Hello, I am having a custom ring made in the U.S.A. and they will ship it to Thailand. Do I have to pay import fees when buying jewelry overseas? The shipping is fully insured but the cost of the item is quite high. I am afraid it will cost me quite a bit. Please enlighten me, thank you!

Can I get some suggestions on how I can get my ring to Thailand without having to pay the vat and tax? Because right now it is cheaper for me to go to the US and bring it myself if the above rates are correct. 

find someone willing to hand carry it for you.

BTW  you can most likely get the ring made for half the price ur paying in the states, Visit the jewelry trade center in bangkok off Silom road.

Pm me for a recommendation of someone i know has a shop there, ( Brit) ..and has been working with the Thailand gem trade association for decades..

Haha, thought so. Was hoping that since it is a gift, I could avoid the duty fee. Thank you phuketrichard. If things don't pan out, then I will take you up on your offer. I appreciate you answering my questions. 

KMartin; any jewelry, ( ie anything set with a stone), wont use more than 18 k gold, ( and NOT viewed as inferior)  otherwise its to soft..doesn't matter if its made in USA,the UK or Thailand

ONLY thai chains/bracelets, wedding rings, small earrings,  are 23 k

Edited by phuketrichard

1 hour ago, phuketrichard said:

KMartin; any jewelry, ( ie anything set with a stone), wont use more than 18 k gold, ( and NOT viewed as inferior)  otherwise its to soft..doesn't matter if its made in USA,the UK or Thailand

ONLY thai chains/bracelets, wedding rings, small earrings,  are 23 k

Good point, thanks. 

Ive forgotten all about diamonds here. My wife puts no value on them and declined the idea for a wedding ring. She preferred a 1/2 baht gold band and so did my wallet. 

20 minutes ago, KMartinHandyman said:

Good point, thanks. 

Ive forgotten all about diamonds here. My wife puts no value on them and declined the idea for a wedding ring. She preferred a 1/2 baht gold band and so did my wallet. 

So your wife prefers the 1/2 baht gold band in Thai 24 k or 23 k gold. Harder, lower k, are not acceptable for Thai people?

Just asking because I may have to go through the same process!

So your wife prefers the 1/2 baht gold band in Thai 24 k or 23 k gold. Harder, lower k, are not acceptable for Thai people?

Just asking because I may have to go through the same process!

Lets say to her (and her rural family) being an Issan farmers daughter despite living in Bangkok for 15 years. She’s traveled the U.S. with me and knows of everything finer the broader world has to offer is only interested in Thai gold. It’s about the color, weight, size, traditional designs and it’s LIQUIDITY in my opinion.
A Thai gold buyer or gold pawn shop has no interest in foreign jewelry in my opinion and would assess low value. If it’s Thai gold there are quoted spot prices for jewelry or baht weight and they look at gold as a stored asset in good times and a go to source of cash in hard times.
She will trade up (by adding a few thousand baht) to a special bracelet or necklace for one of greater weight and different design in a heartbeat which tells me the bracelet wasn’t that special.
Same with her mother and she’s not well off, farms rice, hand makes cloth and honest hustles at anything to keep a decent life but she’ll upgrade her gold stash if the time is right. At this time mama has some gold on pawn to bail papa out of a little financial trouble.
Maybe it’s just my Thai family.