Comprehension

PeterUK

I have been learning Thai for about a year and three months (one-to-one with a Thai teacher, 5 hours a week plus homework) and have developed reasonable reading, writing and speaking skills, but I still feel very weak when it comes to understanding Thais when they speak at normal speed. I've been watching Thai TV a lot recently, but it's a frustrating experience. I understand odd words and phrases but never enough to grasp the overall meaning. Would more advanced Thai students consider my development normal for the amount of time I've been studying or should I be understanding spoken Thai better by now? Does comprehension always lag behind the other language skills?

I have been learning Thai for about a year and three months (one-to-one with a Thai teacher, 5 hours a week plus homework) and have developed reasonable reading, writing and speaking skills, but I still feel very weak when it comes to understanding Thais when they speak at normal speed. I've been watching Thai TV a lot recently, but it's a frustrating experience. I understand odd words and phrases but never enough to grasp the overall meaning. Would more advanced Thai students consider my development normal for the amount of time I've been studying or should I be understanding spoken Thai better by now? Does comprehension always lag behind the other language skills?

Peter I believe everyone develops at different stages and at different speeds. My speaking skills were always alot better than my listening skills for the longest time. My friend's listening skills were alot better than his speaking skills. I think it comes down to individual skills and strong points.

5 hours a week is not alot on its own, but watching Thai tv will help. It will also improve your listening skills aswell, and is a great tool for it. I also recommend that you get out and talk to Thais if you really want to learn. Markets are a great resource for this. Walk around and talk to the vendors about their products. It is fun and you will have the opportunity to talk to heaps of people and about many different things.

Good luck :o

ITR :D

It's very frustrating when you try so hard and at times feel that you are getting nowhere. If I sit in a quiet environment and have a one to one conversation with a native speaker, I can understand fairly well. Especially if the person realises that they have to speak clearly to a foreigner. When more than one person is speaking, or there is a lot of noise around,I tend to get totally lost.

Try to go somewhere quiet, with no distractions, with a thai friend and simply chat. Don't speak english. Make sure that the person will not talk to you in "Baby Thai". Anything that you don't understand ask for an explanation and write it down. When things go well, it's a great boost to your confidence.

I come from southern england and have some friends from newcastle. Initially, I could understand hardly anything they said - and they are speaking english! The more time that I spend with them, the better I can understand. It's the same with Thai. The more you practice listening, the more you will comprehend.

Edited by loong

I have the same problems. If Thais speak slowly, it's ok, but at normal speed - its hard to keep up!

I think if you're not introduced to tones, (and short/long vowel lengths) at an early age, it's difficult to actually hear them. (At least for me anyway).

• 2 years later...