Jason Rupp trains hard to win Somtam Chili Challenge, beats Thais by wolfing 45 chili dish

snoop1130

Jason Rupp trains hard to win Somtam Chili Challenge, beats Thais by wolfing 45 chili dish 

By Laurel Tuohy

xzxdfgdf.JPG

The day before our Yum Fest Somtam Chili Challenge, American soon-to-be champion Jason Rupp walked into his local Thai eatery and ordered a dish of somtam for himself that contained 25 red hot chili peppers. He’d been training all week but still said in his own vlog, “It’s kinda like chewing bullets from a gun — boom, boom, boom.”

Two days before the challenge, he uploaded another video that showed him wolfing down a somtam that contained 20 fiery chilis. He told us that, on Wednesday, he ate a dish containing 15 chilis.

Rupp, a Youtuber who focuses on food and travel videos, took the challenge seriously, outlining his training process to Coconuts after winning the grueling, spicy competition to become our chili eating champion.

Full Story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/food-drink/jason-rupp-trains-hard-win-somtam-chili-challenge-beats-thais-wolfing-45-chili-dish-video/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2018-3-12
  • Like 1

Sometimes I have to wonder what the final goal is in some of these ridiculous challenges. Is getting your 15 minutes of fame really so important to you that you'd do things that are inherently self-destructive? That's one of the definitions of crazy!

7 hours ago, Cereal said:

Sometimes I have to wonder what the final goal is in some of these ridiculous challenges. Is getting your 15 minutes of fame really so important to you that you'd do things that are inherently self-destructive? That's one of the definitions of crazy!

It's all about the pursuit of happiness or something similar, since he is American this could be regarded as an intellectual challenge for him.

18 hours ago, SweatySock said:

Where's the Pla La???? (Stinky fish, an essential ingredient for any Thai I've seen eating Somtam.)

Somtham Thai -- i.e., Somtham without Pla La -- is commonly eaten by many Thais. 

• Like 1