First Time To Thailand! Going May 10th?

toobit

Hi there,

Im planning a trip to thialand may 10th.

I have a few questions i need help with.

First, is this ok to travel at this time? Its considered the low season and begining of the rainy season. Will we be ok with the weather?

Second, we are two single guys 35 years of age. Where is the best places to visit for all kinds of activity? Beaches? islands? city?

Any advice would help.

Thanks

[email protected]

Hi

The weather will be hot but also very wet. Average rainfall for the month of may is 189mm in BKK, if you go south say phuket or krabi it goes up to 348mm.

All depends on how long your staying I'd suggest a 2 stage holiday a few days in BKK where you can do the city and take a trip to pattaya. Then a few days on one of the islands where the beaches are a lot better.

I always find Oct-Dec is a good time to go its the end of there rainy season and its very cheap to travel.

Have a good time where ever u end up

Hi

The weather will be hot but also very wet. Average rainfall for the month of may is 189mm in BKK, if you go south say phuket or krabi it goes up to 348mm.

All depends on how long your staying I'd suggest a 2 stage holiday a few days in BKK where you can do the city and take a trip to pattaya. Then a few days on one of the islands where the beaches are a lot better.

I always find Oct-Dec is a good time to go its the end of there rainy season and its very cheap to travel.

Have a good time where ever u end up

Great , thankyou. I was just worried about the rainfall in the middle of may. I guess it shouldnt be that much of a problem then right?

Rob

Hi toobit and welcome to Thaivisa

You'll love Pattaya I did :o theres loads to see and do there, and thats without the nightlife. My first 2 trips to Thailand last year were visits to Pattaya and I've booked up again this May for 4 weeks... Was planning on seeing other parts of thailand but TBH once in patts I imagine it willbe hard to pull myself away....

The rain when I went last May was the odd torrential downpour for 10 minutes (which you kind of want to cool things down a little) and within minutes of it stopping it was bone dry everywhere again. You'll be lucky to step in a puddle if its not actually raining at the time

1/2 hour out on a bike in any direction and theres plenty to see during the day too

You have come to the right place - ThaiVisa. Take some time to read through the Forum articles and you will learn a lot.

If you visit the three main toiurist areas of Thailand, which are Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket, you will be able to get around and see the sights just using English.

However, if you want to experience the REAL Thailand, get away from the big cities and visit the countryside. It's a bit like visiting England and just staying in London; visiting the USA and just seeing New York or visiting Australia and just seeing Sydney.

There is so much more to see than just the bright lights.

Peter

THis may be of help....

Here are 40 things to think about when visiting Thailand…

1. Bring a cell phone “unblocked” and buy a Thai SIM card for it on arrival, they’re cheap (apprx. 250 baht) and include some credit already on them

2. e.g. - International calls to UK are about 5 - 8baht per min…

3. Don’t rely just on Travellers checks in any currency…they are too much hassle - I have witnessed a friend being refused.

4. Bring ATM and/or credit cards. - check fees and tell your bank your are going abroad.

5. Very little cash – you tend to get a better rate of exchange here than any home country. Just enough to get you out of the airport to somewhere nice for the first night - avoid carrying large amounts of cash...you’ll lose it when drunk or get it nicked.

6. Beware! - The 1000 baht note looks very similar to a 20baht note. You might give an overlarge tip!

7. Bring very few clothes – they are so cheap here and you’ll only bring stuff that is too warm.

8. Very little luggage – this makes you more mobile if you need to be and less vulnerable to taxi touts and undesirable men….

9. Before you go home you can buy any extra luggage (cheap) to take souvenirs etc.

10. There are baggage storage facilities at Bkk airport…and elsewhere - hotels etc.

11. Mozzie spray – especially if you have the stuff from Oz. Anything with DEET. You can get “OFF” here.

12. Good quality sun-cream – especially if you have the stuff from Oz. Something that stays on in water, you’ll burn your shoulders in the pool.

13. Get some travel insurance – hospitals/medicine is cheap but why pay? Trailfinders is good.

14. Check out a few “jabs” – don’t bother with the malaria ones – too heavy! You can get tetanus or rabies here if you’re bitten by a dog - it’s cheap.

15. Internet access is everywhere – even on the beach… you can get all your photos copied to CD

16. If you have a lap-top you can connect it (broadband) at most cafes.

17. Thai food is very unlikely to give you food poisoning but can contain more chillies than you ever thought possible…

18. Western (“farang”) food is much more likely to give you food poisoning – fridges are not part of Thai cooking lore yet…beware of Western Fast Food outlets and hotel buffets - food that has been out for over an hour or so. Thailand is not used to fridges/chill-serve etc.

19. Use common safety sense – it is easy to relax too much here…when it comes to petty crime the rate is certainly lower than in places like the UK…but every country has its share of con-men and psychopaths…..

20. Get a phrase book – lonely planet is good as is their guide to Thailand (better than the rough guide)….

21. The new airport is now open...this is about 30 min nearer Pattaya and the Eastern Seaboard. Taxi fare about 105 to 1300 baht to Pattaya (1.5hr)

22. If you’re travelling further than Bkk, make a friend on the plane and save money on a taxi to your destination. This requires caution and common sense; it is most useful if you’re going further e.g. Pattaya.

23. If you can, avoid spending your first night or few days in Bkk – go there at the end of your stay –its better once you’ve acclimatized, and the airport is about 45 min from the centre. You can fly straight on to Samui Phuket and several other destinations or get a bus or taxi to Pattaya, Koh Samet. Etc.

24. Don’t be afraid to go to Pattaya – it is the sex capital of Thailand but they don’t jump out at single women and has good, cheap hotels, shopping and food. Not a bad place to start off for Koh Chang, Koh Samet or Cambodia.

25. Remember Thailand is more than beaches – there are beautiful cities, national parks, forests and lakes up North – your guide book will help you there…

26. Bring an international driving licence – although most national ones are accepted by motorbike and car hire companies and anyone else who wants to hire you something….you may not be insured without an IDL!

27. In Thailand they drive on the left - cars are Right-hand-drive. However driving is really only for the experienced. Be especially careful on a motorbike - Samui has the highest accident rate in Thailand.

28. Public transport is cheap. Planes, Trains, Buses, Minibuses, Taxis, from town to town.

29. If you’re in a minibus or taxi tell the driver you’ll tip him if he keeps the speed below 90/100 kmph! National speed limit is 90kph (120 on motorways)

30. Around Bkk try to use meter taxis with the meter on...it’ll be cheaper than the tuk-tuks.

31. Take a tuk-tuk once for the experience then use meter taxis.

32. Don’t let the drivers take you out of your way...they’ll try to take you to some store where they get commission.

33. Check up on Thai manners and customs – this will earn you more respect from the locals.

34. Keep up some dress sense – how you dress in Thailand is quite important.

35. Don’t go topless without checking out if it’s acceptable where you are – usually it’s frowned upon.

36. You’ll notice that Thai women (even sex workers) are very modest in public –they usually swim fully clothed.

37. Check out table manners – Thais tend to eat from communal dishes in the centre of the table – don’t pour everything onto your own plate!

38. Don’t knock the royal family – even in jest.

39. Don’t point your feet at people – the body is seen as hierarchical and the feet are the lowest part and should not be waved about (this is like a “fingers up” sign.

40. It’s not necessary to “Wai” people - the Thai greeting - as you’ll probably get it wrong. If they Wai you, you might wai back.

A farang monk in America gave me wise advice before my first trip to Thailand. He said, "Be wary of other farangs, they can be like vampires." Served me very well.

That advice is about as smart and valid as 'beware the Thais .. they only want your money' ..... (in other words .. not very smart or valid at all)

Rainy season starts in May on Samui.

I always advise people not to stay in Bkk on arrival, but leave it till last, by which time you will have acclimatised a bit.

Pattaya is very urban, but fun.....

You can get a taxi from the airport straight to Pattaya where the hotels are about the best vfm in Thailand.

You can also get direct flights out of Suvarnabhumi airport to Samui, Chiang Mai and Phuket etc...

I always advise people not to stay in Bkk on arrival, but leave it till last, by which time you will have acclimatised a bit.

You can get a taxi from the airport straight to Pattaya where the hotels are about the best vfm in Thailand.

You can also get direct flights out of Suvarnabhumi airport to Samui, Chiang Mai and Phuket etc...

The rainy season in Samui starts in November and stretches into January. April is the hotest month , May and June are very hot and sunny with the odd shower. February is the driest.

Never been refused travelers cheques anywhere in any the major cities in Thailand. Best way in fact get a better bht rate on them. (plus protected from loss) :o

I think with American Express travellers cheques it is O.K. for U.S $ or GBP or EURO but avoid the other currencies. I had a bit of a headache a few years ago getting the booths to change CHF.

Also: TOP TIPS: When looking for hotels to stay; ask to see the room you will be given first. Always ask for receipts and avoid using you credit/debit card for anything except ATM's. Also try to use ATM's in shopping malls where they are less likely to be fitted with fraud devices.

If you make a new local friend in a bar, ensure that their ID is given to the hotel staff before you offer to let them use your shower in your room etc.

Samui has a "double" wet season May to December....short torential showers a bit of flooding here and there but nothing too bad usually.

My main problem with TTs is they are rather incinvenient, you have to cash a fixed amount every time and my friend was refused Sterling ones, it wasn't clear why.

I use my ATM and visa debit cards either in a machine or over the counter with passport.

I agree that as a back-up it is useful to have TTs, but I pay for everything with my cards.....shopping, hotels, fuel...the lot.

The rainy season in Samui starts in November and stretches into January. April is the hotest month , May and June are very hot and sunny with the odd shower. February is the driest.

Gotta agree with Lite Beer here, the rainy season starts in Oct/Nov. There is rain in May but it comes out of the SW whereas the rainy season rain comes out of the NE. The SW storms are just that, fast and furious with usually not a lot of rain but very windy and blowy for a very short period of time.

As for ATM cards etc, its always good to have several sources of money as you may lose your card or your bank may stop it for an unusual pattern of activity (often happens to people in Thailand and they have to call their bank at home to get the card reactivated). Best to have travellers checks, cash and cards. And keep them all separate, just in case :o

Samui rainy season starts in May....it has2 seasons the dry and the wet. the wet season comes from SW mosoons and the north west monsoons...the wettest months are Nov Dec...Jan can be wet too......I guess you'll just have to live here a little longer.....or ask a native