Non O based on Thai Child / Vientiane

Hello,

I have read multiple threads at this forum and still some questions are unanswered, so I appreciate if somebody could bring some more info. 

Today I am going to legalize my parenthood as a father at the local amphur for my 7 year old Thai son. The process is clear and I understood everything. Afterwards, I am looking forward to get a Non-O visa/extension based on my son. Currently, I am on a 30 day tourist visa. From what I gathered, the next thing in my case would be:

Go to Vientiane and get a single based Non O visa which allows me to stay in Thailand for 90 days which can be extended at any immigration office within Thailand for another 60 days. Then, put 400,000 THB in a bank account and apply for a 1 year extension at the last 30 days of my Non-O visa at any immigration office (or must be at the nearest immigration from our home?) within Thailand.

Would it be also possible to get a Multiple Entry visa at Vientiane for a legalized father? As I have read, Vientiane gives only Single Entry to fathers which did not legalize their parenthood, but I would have done this before I go to Vientiane. And also I could put the 400,000 THB a day before to my bank account if this would be required?

You can only get a single entry non-o visa at Vientiane. It does not matter whether you are the legal father or not.

You can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon being the parent of a Thai at the designated immigration office for where you are living. The 60 day extension to visit your child would also have to be applied for at the designated office.

You could also apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) at immigration. You would have to have the 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only on the date you appy. You would need at least 15 days remaining on your current entry or the 30 day extension of it. You could also get the 60 day extension and then apply for the non immigrant visa.

Thank you. So, basically, I could also apply for this visa at the nearest immigration without leaving the country if I have 15 days left on my tourist 30 days visa? And this would get me the non immigrant o visa which I can use to get the 1 year extension? And everything else I said is working like that?

And a quick info about the legalization process I had done today: They were very stubborn, tried to refuse service and tried to get rid off us ("come back later in 10 days") and I decided to give the http://www.1111.go.th a call and a lady with perfect English answered the phone and asked me to hand it over to the officer which first denied to take the phone but as I said "ampoe" she took it and I heard only "kha, kha, kha, kha" and suddenly everything was possible. Later, some people talked to my girlfriend that they also had "farang" in their family legalizing their fatherhood by paying around 10,000 THB to get the things processed and they were amazed how our situation evolved.

• Like 2

When applying for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) at immigration, with 15 days left on the current visa (exemption), do you need to go to the closest immigration office to the address of the mothers/daughters house book?

The reason I ask is the closest immigration office for me would be Ratchaburi and from other reports I can't see that being a smooth process, unless anyone has tried it there.

Could I go to Bangkok? For category O, what is the rule for immigration office location?

7 hours ago, jimjum said:

When applying for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) at immigration, with 15 days left on the current visa (exemption), do you need to go to the closest immigration office to the address of the mothers/daughters house book?

The reason I ask is the closest immigration office for me would be Ratchaburi and from other reports I can't see that being a smooth process, unless anyone has tried it there.

Could I go to Bangkok? For category O, what is the rule for immigration office location?

From what I have read here it seems to be that the only possibility is to go to your nearest immigration.

11 hours ago, jimjum said:

You can also do the application during the 30 day extension of your visa exempt entry. 

You have to do it at the designated office for where you are living.

3 hours ago, IsaanFam said:

Are you living in Ratchaburi?

Bangkok would turn you away if you don't have a address for there. They tell you to go the office for where you are living.

• 1 month later...
On 3/19/2018 at 9:14 AM, ubonjoe said:

You can only get a single entry non-o visa at Vientiane. It does not matter whether you are the legal father or not.

You can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon being the parent of a Thai at the designated immigration office for where you are living. The 60 day extension to visit your child would also have to be applied for at the designated office.

You could also apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) at immigration. You would have to have the 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only on the date you appy. You would need at least 15 days remaining on your current entry or the 30 day extension of it. You could also get the 60 day extension and then apply for the non immigrant visa.

Hello, I have got a question, now I have the Non-O 90 days visa because of my child and I am planning to get the 1 year extension, but my gf/mother of my child is currently in Europe and will come back a bit late for applying the extension (yeah, really badly planned). Is it possible to go to the immigration with all the paper work (ie, signed housebook, id cards, birth certificate, legalization of the child) without the mother?

9 hours ago, IsaanFam said:

Hello, I have got a question, now I have the Non-O 90 days visa because of my child and I am planning to get the 1 year extension, but my gf/mother of my child is currently in Europe and will come back a bit late for applying the extension (yeah, really badly planned). Is it possible to go to the immigration with all the paper work (ie, signed housebook, id cards, birth certificate, legalization of the child) without the mother?

The mother of your child does not need to be present when you apply for an extension based upon being the parent of a Thai. Only your child needs to be with you.

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The mother of your child does not need to be present when you apply for an extension based upon being the parent of a Thai. Only your child needs to be with you.

Oh really, sounds nice. Good info, thanks.

I have prepared these documents:

- 2 copies of: ID card of my son

- 2 copies of: Thai passport of my son

- 2 copies of: blue book with name of my son

- 2 copies of: birth certificate of my son

- my passport + 2 copies of it

- 4 passport pictures of me

- the legalization documents showing me as the "registered" father

- 400,000 in a bank account in my name

Do you think they are sufficient or do I need to have anything of these copies signed by the mother?

16 minutes ago, IsaanFam said:

400,000 in a bank account in my name

Do you think they are sufficient or do I need to have anything of these copies signed by the mother?

Bank letter and updated bank book for the 400k baht.

Photos you and your child together in and around the house.

At some offices if you child is old enough proof they are attending school and photos of the them at school. 

I suggest you check with the office where your are applying to confirm what is needed.