Berry and Citrus Farm Open Day (Samoeng)

DumbFalang

Saturday 24th March 2018 - Villa Farm, Samoeng, Chiang Mai.

I'd like to invite Thai Visa members that are interested in 'clean' agriculture to an open day where we will show you around our small farm and answer any questions you may have about growing techniques. We are growing Strawberries, Raspberries, Blackberries, Mulberries Lemons and Avocado commercially plus small amounts of other crops that you may find interesting.

It's a free day and you can pick and eat as many Mulberries as you like (or take some home to make jam).

We have car parking just off the main road and there is a good low cost restaurant just around the corner for lunch.If you want to visit late afternoon or early evening, then bring your own beer and watch the sun set over the mountains.

Please PM me with expressions of interest at this stage and let's see what we can work out.

Steve.

We grow several varieties of Raspberries and we had plans for ramping up production this 'winter'. Unfortunately, we lost 90% of our plants in a flood in October and were forced back into 'propagation mode'. Some plants are starting to give a small amount of fruit but we won't really have anything we could call a crop until the rainy season.

So in answer to your question on availability: No we don't have fruit for sale, but yes, we do have plants for sale.

Just in the process of starting a trial of various varieties of Blueberries to find out which, if any, are suitable for growing in our area. I am planting a couple of Sharp Blue this week and I have some Misty and Biloxi on order for May. Heading to Maejo uni today to have our soil tested.

Sorry, nothing for you to see regarding Blueberries.

I love a good strawberry. Poor quality obtainable on the canal road in CM and the best I have had in CM came from Royal Project shop located on Suthep Rd.

I had some good ones from Samong market last week and Rob Sausage King brought excellent ones back from Samong last Wednesday.

A good Strawberry is hard to find in CM town.

john

Your statement: 'I had some good ones from Samong market last week' is an interesting one. We know all the strawberry growers in and around Samoeng and every single one of them uses toxic pesticides. Of course, they are all organic too :smile:. Work that one out.

The market for Strawberries is actually quite simple. Buyers make a decision based on one of two things:

1. Their pocket

2. Their health

The first group accounts for around 99.9% of the market. All of my wife's customers are from the second group.

• Like 2

I've been an internet software developer for the last two decades but Microsoft, Google and Facebook have got me beat on how to post the farm location to this forum. Any suggestions appreciated.

In the meantime, let's go the old fashioned route and use words instead:

Take either the Mae Rim or Hang Dong route to Samoeng and whichever way you drive, you will end up at the t-junction next to the police box. From there, the road drops down the hill approx 5 km into the town center where you reach another t-junction. Turn right, drive approx 1.5 km, past Magic Berry Farm on the left and our farm (Villa Farm) is another 100m on the right.

If words are not enough (is that a song?) and you are a GPS junky, then follow Google Maps to Villa Farm and I will meet you at my house.

PM me for my phone number. The wife's phone number is on the Villa Farm Facebook page.

• Like 1

That one from Google Maps is the location of my Australian Finger Lime Farm at the back of my house. The berry farm is where the red pin is on the map below:

18°51'40.0"N 98°43'40.0"E

18.861105, 98.727764

image.png.faf68254b443f5de8a11339beaef0fa4.png

Edited by DumbFalang
  • Thanks 1