Visa to go to UK

3 minutes ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

You are dealing with the government and all that that brings, of course it's a hassle.

I am a well educated man and still found it confusing filling in the UK Visa form. I had to put the addresses of my two brothers TWICE, once to say WHO I was staying with (sorry, with Whom), and one for WHERE I was staying. How much will my parner spend on the trip? even after she had put that I pay for everything. I put £1.00. Hope that doesn't get rejected. What is her income per year in THB, what are her savings in GBP, and how much per month does she spend in THB. Confusing or am I a thicky?

5 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Yes, but a different VFS office. I have been advised to go directly to Italian Embassy. On our Schengen application I simply ticked the box say that her sponsor (me) was paying for the entire trip, have flights BKK to LHR and LHR to Rome confirmed as well as accomodation in Itlay, and, hopefully a UK Visa. Why would they not give Schengen?

Because you don't meet the criteria....... have a look at their checklist.

You are nothing in this application.... sorry, (same as me) it is a fact. The accommodation booking needs to show your partners name. SHE needs to show the required money in her bank etc............ it is all in the guidelines.

12 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

I am a well educated man and still found it confusing filling in the UK Visa form. I had to put the addresses of my two brothers TWICE, once to say WHO I was staying with (sorry, with Whom), and one for WHERE I was staying. How much will my parner spend on the trip? even after she had put that I pay for everything. I put £1.00. Hope that doesn't get rejected. What is her income per year in THB, what are her savings in GBP, and how much per month does she spend in THB. Confusing or am I a thicky?

That is absolutely mental. I am dreading doing this. Why is it so important ref her finances if the sponsor is, erh, sponsoring? And many Thai wife's won't have a job or saving, certainly not in GBP anyway.  A lot of hassle just to spend 2 weeks in the cold and rain.

36 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Yes, but a different VFS office. I have been advised to go directly to Italian Embassy. On our Schengen application I simply ticked the box say that her sponsor (me) was paying for the entire trip, have flights BKK to LHR and LHR to Rome confirmed as well as accomodation in Itlay, and, hopefully a UK Visa. Why would they not give Schengen?

we went to Italian embassy, or rather office, guard ( Italian) told us HAD to go to vfs, had a big argument. Eventually he 'checked' then agreed we could apply there, took a few days to get it . UK never part of Shengen

11 minutes ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

That is absolutely mental. I am dreading doing this. Why is it so important ref her finances if the sponsor is, erh, sponsoring? And many Thai wife's won't have a job or saving, certainly not in GBP anyway.  A lot of hassle just to spend 2 weeks in the cold and rain.

Two  years ago I applied for my then girlfriend and was quite nervous about it all. I sponsored the trip but she was also working. This time around she is my wife and I will be sponsoring the trip again. We both live in Thailand. One of the questions in the form is about income such as savings, shares, etc and how much she earns therefrom. Well she does have savings but earns next to nothing from them so there was no figure I could fill in and as a house wife she does not earn a salary. Luckily, I am not too concerned about this as I have a good salary and savings and will provide evidence of this. 

Hopefully, this time will be as straightforward as last time. The only problem is that we have both forgotten some of the dates of previous overseas trips she took and cannot find the stamps in her old passport, so it is possible that the dates filled in the online form will not be exactly the same as in her last application.  However, any discrepancies will not be intentional.

From reading others' post on this subject, it seems that those who deliberately lie have the most problems.  

1 minute ago, GarryP said:

Two  years ago I applied for my then girlfriend and was quite nervous about it all. I sponsored the trip but she was also working. This time around she is my wife and I will be sponsoring the trip again. We both live in Thailand. One of the questions in the form is about income such as savings, shares, etc and how much she earns therefrom. Well she does have savings but earns next to nothing from them so there was no figure I could fill in and as a house wife she does not earn a salary. Luckily, I am not too concerned about this as I have a good salary and savings and will provide evidence of this. 

Hopefully, this time will be as straightforward as last time. The only problem is that we have both forgotten some of the dates of previous overseas trips she took and cannot find the stamps in her old passport, so it is possible that the dates filled in the online form will not be exactly the same as in her last application.  However, any discrepancies will not be intentional.

From reading others' post on this subject, it seems that those who deliberately lie have the most problems.  

A wife's/partner's income is irrelevant if you are sponsoring and I always put NIL in all the boxes.

Any assets may be a factor in satisfying the criteria of 'reasons to return to Thailand'.

Did you not keep a copy/download of the previous submission ?  It could be useful to get the dates right - because the British embassy will have access to them.

I agree that it would be helpful if the data input from the last application was 'carried forward' to the new - much of it is static data and does not change. Keying and re-keying is tiresome.

8 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

A wife's/partner's income is irrelevant if you are sponsoring and I always put NIL in all the boxes.

Any assets may be a factor in satisfying the criteria of 'reasons to return to Thailand'.

Did you not keep a copy/download of the previous submission ?  It could be useful to get the dates right - because the British embassy will have access to them.

I agree that it would be helpful if the data input from the last application was 'carried forward' to the new - much of it is static data and does not change. Keying and re-keying is tiresome.

I am the fool that did not keep a copy of the previous submission. My wife suggested we keep it but I ignored her. More fool me.  I will definitely keep this one. Lesson learned.

Reasons for returning to Thailand are basically my job which I have been in for 25 years, house that is in both our names (I am now a  dual British Thai citizen), etc. 

Will submit this application in late April and once we get the visa submit another application for a Schengen visa. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I am the fool that did not keep a copy of the previous submission. My wife suggested we keep it but I ignored her. More fool me.  I will definitely keep this one. Lesson learned.

Reasons for returning to Thailand are basically my job which I have been in for 25 years, house that is in both our names (I am now a  dual British Thai citizen), etc. 

Will submit this application in late April and once we get the visa submit another application for a Schengen visa. 

I agree about the travel dates....unlike British passports to Thailand, Thai passports to the UK don't get the same in/out stamps.

1 hour ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

Is the approx time frame around 2 weeks for a tourist visa to come back?

They quote 14 working days... last one for my missus took 2 days.

Can't recall if this is your first UK Visa application - the ECO may conduct a telephone interview - that will add some time to the process. The biggest factor is Easter and Songkran - that will wipe out a minimum of 4 days with a liklihood that staff may take holidays at that time.

Sorry - really not trying to be pedantic but there is no such thing as a tourist visa. You will be applying for a standard visit visa.......... based on tourism.

Edited by Jip99

27 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Not pedantic at all, let's get it right. I did think they were called tourist visa's. I will leave plenty of time, it was more out of curiosity.

27 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Can't recall if this is your first UK Visa application - the ECO may conduct a telephone interview - that will add some time to the process. The biggest factor is Easter and Songkran - that will wipe out a minimum of 4 days with a liklihood that staff may take holidays at that time.

Sorry - really not trying to be pedantic but there is no such thing as a tourist visa. You will be applying for a standard visit visa.......... based on tourism.

33 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

No. First application was in 2009 which was refused, the second in 2011 was granted. Since then we have got married and had another child.

No.....

We are 12 years and I have no standing

That depends on which Member State Consulate you apply through.
My then girlfriend, of ten years, now wife of 18 months, applied via the Dutch Consulate, who’s visa team are based in KL, as the long term partner of an EU National and they issued her with a longish term visa, she did of course have to submit evidence outlining our relationship.

1 minute ago, theoldgit said:

That depends on which Member State Consulate you apply through.
My then girlfriend, of ten years, now wife of 18 months, applied via the Dutch Consulate, who’s visa team are based in KL, as the long term partner of an EU National and they issued her with a longish term visa, she did of course have to submit evidence outlining our relationship.

Did you go to Holland ?  ?

I can’t help thinking that the inconsistencies in the system make it a farce.

3 hours ago, Jip99 said:

The accommodation booking needs to show your partners name.

It does. And I shall put Bht 100,000 into her bank.....but keep hold of her ATM card !

Just read that Jip99 says 69 Euros a day, so Bht 18594 into her Bangkok Bank. What good is that in Italy?

Edited by wgdanson

3 hours ago, Jip99 said:

and your 'missus' will need to have circa EUR 69 x number of days holiday equivalent in her account.

So for 6 days holiday she will need Euro 483 in her account. That's Bht 18593......less than I need to show to enter Thailand.

51 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Did you go to Holland ?  ?

I can’t help thinking that the inconsistencies in the system make it a farce.

Yes I agree. Did you not have to show travel and hotel accommodation in Holland. You can only apply at either the embassy of the country you are going to or the first one you will enter.

50 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Yes I agree. Did you not have to show travel and hotel accommodation in Holland. You can only apply at either the embassy of the country you are going to or the first one you will enter.

Yes,. But I used Booking.com and then cancelled them after printing. 

Covered my ar5e by emailing the Dutch Embassy just before trav3ling to say our plans had changed and we were now meeting our Dutch friends in Spain.

(I haven’t got any Dutch friends)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

So for 6 days holiday she will need Euro 483 in her account. That's Bht 18593......less than I need to show to enter Thailand.

No. Read what I sent you by PM.... for a minimum stay €589.68.

You don’t stay full time in Thailand then?

50 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

No. Read what I sent you by PM.... for a minimum stay €589.68.

You don’t stay full time in Thailand then?

Yes I am here 'permanently' on a Retirement Extension, so no income problems. I cannot find any of the information you are telling me, ie minimum Euros in account, all the paperwork you say. Where do I find it please. I sent you the page I found, but once again.

Schengen documents 1.PNG

12 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Yes I am here 'permanently' on a Retirement Extension, so no income problems. I cannot find any of the information you are telling me, ie minimum Euros in account, all the paperwork you say. Where do I find it please. I sent you the page I found, but once again.

Schengen documents 1.PNG

The point is that your comment about you needing 20,000 Baht to enter Thailand is incorrect if you are entering under a re-entry permit.

This is in your message box:-..... as Donutz told you, each coutry's minimum financial requirement can vary..... look on the Spanish Embassy website (or BLS Spain).

This might help... this was for Spain and we found dealing with BLSSpain easier than VfSSpain.

"Checklist".   The checklist must be submitted on back to back format only (without back to back copies being stapled to each other).

Original Application form for Schengen Visa duly filled in and signed by the applicant in blue ball point ink. 3 recent photographs (35-45 mm not over 6 months) of the applicant with white background must be attached in the application form. The application form must be correctly filled, facilitating all the possible information requested in the form including postal address, email address and telephone number. Please note with effect from 01 April 13, Embassy of Spain has instructed that Sworn Declaration is mandatory to be provided along Visa Application form at the time of submission.

Passport of the applicant with at least two blank pages, which should be valid for at least three months after the duration of intended stay. This document should have been issued in the last ten (10) years. Photocopy of all the pages of the present passport must be submitted.

Submission of all old passports is mandatory. In case if applicant has lost old passport then he/she can submit copy of complaint lodged with Police or for any other reason of not submitting it he/she can provide a covering letter mentioning the reason for the same

Two recent photographs for Bangkok (35-45 mm) of the applicant with white background and two photocopies for the application form along with three recent photographs. (Not over 6 Months)

Covering letter from the applicant, explaining in detail the purpose of the visit. All cover letters must include details of any other accompanying persons as well. This includes family members, friends or business associates travelling for the same purpose.

For tourism purpose:    Hotel bookings for the entire duration of stay. (Must be show all applicant’s name).   Travel itinerary for the entire duration of stay. (Must be submit)

Original Personal bank statements of the applicant for last 6 months for Embassy of Spain, Bangkok with the original stamp and signature of authorized signatory of the bank (Online Bank statements are not acceptable) and bank certificate (Saving account only). This is a mandatory statement

Please Note for Consulate General of Spain, Bangkok: The minimum closing Balance in the Personal Account Bank Statements should be equivalent or above Euros €589.68 per person for a minimum period of stay. For longer stays applicants need to show an additional of approximately Euros €65.52 per day per applicant.

Proof of travel insurance with a minimum coverage of 30,000 Euros. 

Flight bookings. (Departure from Thailand and come back to Thailand)

Remark: Departure date is not more than 3 months

Edited by Jip99

1 minute ago, Jip99 said:

The point is that your comment about you needing 20,000 Baht to enter Thailand is incorrect if you are entering under a re-entry permit.

This is in your message box:-

This might help... this was for Spain and we found dealing with BLSSpain easier than VfSSpain.

"Checklist".   The checklist must be submitted on back to back format only (without back to back copies being stapled to each other).

Original Application form for Schengen Visa duly filled in and signed by the applicant in blue ball point ink. 3 recent photographs (35-45 mm not over 6 months) of the applicant with white background must be attached in the application form. The application form must be correctly filled, facilitating all the possible information requested in the form including postal address, email address and telephone number. Please note with effect from 01 April 13, Embassy of Spain has instructed that Sworn Declaration is mandatory to be provided along Visa Application form at the time of submission.

Passport of the applicant with at least two blank pages, which should be valid for at least three months after the duration of intended stay. This document should have been issued in the last ten (10) years. Photocopy of all the pages of the present passport must be submitted.

Submission of all old passports is mandatory. In case if applicant has lost old passport then he/she can submit copy of complaint lodged with Police or for any other reason of not submitting it he/she can provide a covering letter mentioning the reason for the same

Two recent photographs for Bangkok (35-45 mm) of the applicant with white background and two photocopies for the application form along with three recent photographs. (Not over 6 Months)

Covering letter from the applicant, explaining in detail the purpose of the visit. All cover letters must include details of any other accompanying persons as well. This includes family members, friends or business associates travelling for the same purpose.

For tourism purpose:    Hotel bookings for the entire duration of stay. (Must be show all applicant’s name).   Travel itinerary for the entire duration of stay. (Must be submit)

Original Personal bank statements of the applicant for last 6 months for Embassy of Spain, Bangkok with the original stamp and signature of authorized signatory of the bank (Online Bank statements are not acceptable) and bank certificate (Saving account only). This is a mandatory statement

Please Note for Consulate General of Spain, Bangkok: The minimum closing Balance in the Personal Account Bank Statements should be equivalent or above Euros €589.68 per person for a minimum period of stay. For longer stays applicants need to show an additional of approximately Euros €65.52 per day per applicant.

Where do I find all this information.

23 hours ago, Jip99 said:

This is in your message box:-..... as Donutz told you, each coutry's minimum financial requirement can vary..... look on the Spanish Embassy website (or BLS Spain).

See above: "Submission of all old passports is mandatory."

My girlfriend applied for a Spain visa on or about Feb 5th, 2018. She submitted her old passports to BLS. They rejected them; said they were not necessary.

I spoke to the person who was dealing with her and he said, "The website is wrong. I will tell them." I insisted that the old passports should be included. He relented and accepted them.