Visa to go to UK

13 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Assuming she's applying Bangkok, unless it's changed recently, you should print out the application and bring it to VFS. No need for a photo though.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I shall do that anyway, but it is SO confusing. One part of application advice says Documents you should NOT send unless specifically requested, which includes hotel, flight and health insurance. It also asks for Passport photos with a detailed section of how they should look and be taken, but THEY take the photo.On the SEVEN pages of document check-list it suggests bringing flight and travel details. Also says All documents must be in English....Blue Book for her house. Do I need to get it translated to English, and bring the original AND a copy? It says that there must be a page in her passport, FREE ON BOTH SIDES, WHY? Maybe the embossing won't show through. Last two Visas were stamped on Pages 6 and 18 of a new unused passport, pages in between left blank. This is the fourth Visa she has had, will her fingerprints have changed in 3 years? Talk about TIT,........... TIUK!

Edited by wgdanson

Can't offer any advice per se, but agree on the stress involved. I've got to do my wife's one soon and am dreading it to be honest. She's been UK 1 time before, although her visa was turned down the time before that.

I do wonder if it's worth all the hassle, but I suppose it is.

I have always found the process very straightforward.

The checklist that accompanies clearly states that a photo is only required for those who cannot provide biometrics.

The comment above about downloading a copy for your records is just that - your copy. It is clearly stated in the appointment confirmation that you take a signed print of the application.

I am not sure the blue house book is necessary, I have never submitted.

The uk.gov site is quite useful (except for the slight contradiction about a passport photograph

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/549692/Visitor_Supporting_Documents_Guide_-_English_version.pdf

1 minute ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

Can't offer any advice per se, but agree on the stress involved. I've got to do my wife's one soon and am dreading it to be honest. She's been UK 1 time before, although her visa was turned down the time before that.

I do wonder if it's worth all the hassle, but I suppose it is.

I am not sure what you mean by "hassle".

If your wife meets the criteria she will be granted a visa. All you have to do is present the evidence to support that. The last one I did for my partner had 7 pages and I think I could have condensed that to 6.

2 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

The checklist that accompanies clearly states that a photo is only required for those who cannot provide biometrics.

You mean someone who cannot have a photo or fingerprints taken? And this attachment says you MUST bring both application and checklist. Anyway, SCHENGEN Visa next.

Visa1.PNG

5 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

The last one I did for my partner had 7 pages and I think I could have condensed that to 6.

The Application is 9 pages, the last one being just three lines. The Checklist is 7 pages, the last one telling the address of Trendy. Invitation letter from me, copy of my passport and bank statement, Copies of her previous passport and Visas. It's not a hassle, it's a ball ache. And all the time worry about whether you did one small thing wrong and will get refused when it goes to Bombay !

Edited by wgdanson
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

You mean someone who cannot have a photo or fingerprints taken? And this attachment says you MUST bring both application and checklist. Anyway, SCHENGEN Visa next.

Visa1.PNG

Yes , of course, you must bring the signed application and checklist - downloading a copy for your own records is a different kettle of fish.

If you didn't like the UK Visa process you will hate the Schengen application.....:smile:

Where are you making the application ?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

The Application is 9 pages, the last one being just three lines. The Checklist is 7 pages, the last one telling the address of Trendy. Invitation letter from me, copy of my passport and bank statement, Copies of her previous passport and Visas. It's not a hassle, it's a ball ache. And all the time worry about whether you did one small thing wrong and will get refused when it goes to Bombay !

The application is just a printout of what has already been submitted.

The checklist that you take, and sign,  is ONE page (a shorter version of the Schengen checklist).

One small thing wrong will not cause an application to fail. Not evidencing all the 3 criteria will cause an application to fail.

I imagine that your glass is usually half empty - you are already demonizing Bombay...... the application will continue to be assessed by an ECO from the British Embassy.

Edited by Jip99

8 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

The checklist that you take, and sign,  is ONE page (a shorter version of the Schengen checklist).

The one I just downloaded is SEVEN. So why does it say PRINT OUT the Application and take with you. What, please are those 3 criteria, and yes, my glass is always half-empty 'cos I have just supped the top half. Cheers.

31 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

If you didn't like the UK Visa process you will hate the Schengen application...

I just did it, much easier if you use the English ONLY application form, with only two pages to fill in, mostly tick boxes. But another trip down to Bkk for that after the UK Visa comes back. Good job we are not going until June.

Edited by wgdanson

39 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

I am not sure what you mean by "hassle".

If your wife meets the criteria she will be granted a visa. All you have to do is present the evidence to support that. The last one I did for my partner had 7 pages and I think I could have condensed that to 6.

It's a hassle. End of story.

33 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Yes , of course, you must bring the signed application and checklist - downloading a copy for your own records is a different kettle of fish.

If you didn't like the UK Visa process you will hate the Schengen application.....:smile:

Trendy bkk

35 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

Shengen seemed far easier, you can apply at the Embassy and it's all free if married to an EU citizen, not like that with a UK visa. My mrs got turned down for a UK visa once because I went to Thailand several times a year, so they did not see the reason for her to want to go to the UK. You can meet all the requirements and still get turned down

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Shengen seemed far easier, you can apply at the Embassy and it's all free if married to an EU citizen, not like that with a UK visa.

Is ten years Unmarried Parner considered? please

Is it easy to make the appointment at Trendy? I assume that's done same time as when you start to fill out the application? Are there plenty of available slots in a short time period? Cheers.

Seems plenty of slots for next week, but afternoons is just Premier (Pay More) slots. You must pay for the Visa first, then make the appointment. And while I am ranting, Why The F..k is a British Visa paid for in USD?

7 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Unmarried can apply for Schengen at Embassy/Consulate, it's in EU law, but have to pay. I would always apply direct and not to VFS in future.

6 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

No.....

We are 12 years and I have no standing.

You cannot sponsor in the same way as the UK visa and your 'missus' will need to have circa EUR 69 x number of days holiday equivalent in her account........ plus 6 months certified bank statements and a bank certificate confirming her latest balance.

Confirmed flights and hotel bookings (showing her name) are needed - plus, 1.5m Baht of insurance cover - plus evidence of the flight back to Thailand (although she is no doubt flying back to the UK).

12 minutes ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

Is it easy to make the appointment at Trendy? I assume that's done same time as when you start to fill out the application? Are there plenty of available slots in a short time period? Cheers.

Once you have completed the online application you submit and at that point you make the appointment. Standard appointments are currently available for 28tj/29th March onwards.

The system also gives you 3 hours to pay.

5 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Unmarried can apply for Schengen at Embassy/Consulate, it's in EU law, but have to pay. I would always apply direct and not to VFS in future.

VfS don't do Schengen visas.........................do they ?

You are dealing with the government and all that that brings, of course it's a hassle.

LOL!  :smile:

Don't fear them, just follow the instructions, and all will be well.  Good luck.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

VfS don't do Schengen visas.........................do they ?

Yes, but a different VFS office. I have been advised to go directly to Italian Embassy. On our Schengen application I simply ticked the box say that her sponsor (me) was paying for the entire trip, have flights BKK to LHR and LHR to Rome confirmed as well as accomodation in Itlay, and, hopefully a UK Visa. Why would they not give Schengen?

28 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

No.....

We are 12 years and I have no standing.

You cannot sponsor in the same way as the UK visa and your 'missus' will need to have circa EUR 69 x number of days holiday equivalent in her account........ plus 6 months certified bank statements and a bank certificate confirming her latest balance.

Confirmed flights and hotel bookings (showing her name) are needed - plus, 1.5m Baht of insurance cover - plus evidence of the flight back to Thailand (although she is no doubt flying back to the UK).

Now THAT is a hassle!

• Haha 1