Authorities investigate Pattaya construction site for illegal workers

snoop1130

Authorities investigate Pattaya construction site for illegal workers

By The Nation

76a4691443aaeff14143af7e541d6e77.jpeg

Bang Lamung District Chief Naris Niramaiwong on Friday led officials from local authorities, police and Chonburi Provincial Labour Office to inspect a construction site at the Terminal 21 Pattaya department store after receiving complaints that there were many migrant workers illegally working there.

Naris disclosed that from the inspection, it was found that there were 19 construction contractors working at the site and more than 1,000 construction workers. 

It was established that 234 of them were migrant workers from Myanmar and Cambodia.

He added that despite many migrant workers having valid work permits, some could not provide valid document to prove their status and might be charged with violating the Working of Aliens Act and the Immigration Act, if their employers also failed to show proof of their status.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30341609

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-3-23

Yesterday, the Govt reported an increase in Thailand's unemployment figures. I am sure the events at T21 today are just a coincidence; happy or unhappy depending on personal circumstances and one's point of view.

Seems to be a good place to catch a fair few "illegals" in one foul swoop. Someone will be earning extra brownie points.

11 hours ago, champers said:

Someone will be earning extra brownie points.

Some one will be collecting brownie envelopes. 

Meanwhile hundreds of Pattaya taxi drivers were allowed to continue to break the law by parking illegally and refusing to use their meters. 

At least Pattaya Plod managed to arrest an unspecified number of illegal foreign workers.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cadbury said:

All of this was brought on by the fools in the junta who legislated the new laws and imposed totally unreasonable time limits to get the job done.

I didn't know the fools in the junta imposed a time limit to get Terminal 21 built. This news deserves its own headline. 'Course, if an undocumented Cambodian offered to paint your entire house for 1/3 of the price a Thai would ask, you'd refuse, right?

13 hours ago, champers said:

Seems to be a good place to catch a fair few "illegals" in one foul swoop.

They were pretty dirty & stinkin' after working at the site. However, for the birds among the workers we'd have to use one "fowl swoop."

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Cadbury said:

In the meantime the incompetent fools in the Thai civil service who were suppose to register foreign workers still sit on their clackers dithering around.

All of this was brought on by the fools in the junta who legislated the new laws and imposed totally unreasonable time limits to get the job done. Take your hat off PM Prayut for another monumental stuff-up.

Never mind the lazy Thais who refuse to work anyway.

Don't blame the civil servants! A friend of mine needed to have work permits extended for some of his migrant workers. The civil servants at Department of Labor continued their work until after midnight; they should be rewarded not blamed!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lamecn said:

Don't blame the civil servants! A friend of mine needed to have work permits extended for some of his migrant workers. The civil servants at Department of Labor continued their work until after midnight; they should be rewarded not blamed!

You speak of ONE friend. So why has this headline just appeared in TVN? And who would you blame? The migrant workers I suppose.

Nearly a million migrant workers yet to register as deadline draws near

Edited by Cadbury

Round 'em up !

Move 'em on, head 'em up

Head 'em up, move 'em on

Move 'em on, head 'em up, rawhide

Cut 'em out, ride 'em in

Ride 'em in, cut 'em out

Cut 'em out, ride 'em in, rawhide

I definitely see at least 1 alien in that photo [emoji1]

29 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

reply to post 8, the poster was alluding to the *time to get the job done* was referring to the government dept  to sort out work permits, nothing to do with Terminal 21 at all,,. Duh !!

No, my point is that Terminal 21 contractors shouldn't have hired the workers w/o their showing permits; nor should the workers have accepted the job knowing they had no papers (since we're vigorously schoolmarming about "shoulds"). Hence Terminal 21 could have slowed construction progress for lack of those workers--which may have left time for the workers to get the papers IF they'd needed the time. Nor does Cadbury have any idea whether "time" in particular was THE factor and was definitely caused by the government's delay or not in these cases.

Sorry you missed the subtle humor (feigned misunderstanding) used to make those points and therefore the points themselves. I'll try to dumb things down for you next time, duh!!

Edited by JSixpack

Nothing would be built here without foreign labor. Why not get the contractor and shut he site down? Because then the influence would come down on them.  But its okay to bust a few 300 baht a day laborers. Why too cheap they cant get a Thai to work for that anymore...

11 minutes ago, The manic said:

One thing is for sure. The wage slaves who built it will never, be allowed, in even in the unlikely even they could afford to. 

It's a shopping mall and there is no entrance fee.

• Like 1