Thai Air Force seeks to recruit female pilots

webfact

Air force seeks to recruit female pilots

By The Nation

The Royal Thai Air Force (RTAF) has opened a third recruitment round seeking female commercial pilots with a good command of English.

According to a notice on the RTAF Recruitment Facebook page, applicants must be between 18 and 28 years old, at least 162 centimetres tall and hold a bachelor's degree in any field with a 2.80 grade point average.

The applicants must also have a commercial pilot licence – aeroplane and must have passed level 4 of the ICAO English language proficiency test.

Interested women must apply in person at the RTAF Policy and Human Resource Office from Wednesday to April 5.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30341762

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-03-26

It seems a bit strange to me they are requiring a pilot's licence from the beginning. I mean that's going to narrow down the number of potential people considerably.
I would have thought they could identify far more potential female pilots by conducting aptitude tests through all layers of Thai society ( like the RAF used to do in the old days) and if they have the aptitude teach them to fly after.

• Like 1

It seems a bit strange to me they are requiring a pilot's licence from the beginning. I mean that's going to narrow down the number of potential people considerably.
I would have thought they could identify far more potential female pilots by conducting aptitude tests through all layers of Thai society ( like the RAF used to do in the old days) and if they have the aptitude teach them to fly after.
It's of major importance. Flying is not for the faint hearted so it's pointless recruiting only to find after considerable expense the candidates don't have the stomach for it
  • Haha 1

equally there could be many young ladies out there who have a genuine passion for aviation but could never dream of getting a pilot's licence in Thailand if their parents are not well off.

Nope. How could they know they have passion unless they have flown.

It's not the air forces job to test fantasies.

I would love to be an astronaut so come on NASA!..

Oops yep if I'm going to be at the controls they want top gun airforce status first

• Haha 1

Well it seems to have worked very work in the United Kingdom for decades and gives everyone an equal opportunity to become a pilot irrespective of whether they are from a working class background or not[emoji2]
Errm slightly different budgets. And available slots.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Errm slightly different budgets. And available slots.

The Indian air force is more comparable to Thailand in terms of economic profile of its citizens (i.e. many poor people but who could be highly intelligent) and yet mentions nothing in its requirements about needing a pilot's licence to be considered for recruitment

https://www.quora.com/How-does-one-get-selected-to-be-a-fighter-pilot-in-Indian-air-force-what-are-the-difference-between-cds-entries-afcat-entries-ncc-and-nda-enties-with-respect-to-the-above-question

Edited by midas
  • Like 2

The Indian air force is more comparable to Thailand in terms of economic profile of its citizens (i.e. many poor people but who could be highly intelligent) and yet mentions nothing in its requirements about needing a pilot's licence to be considered for recruitment

https://www.quora.com/How-does-one-get-selected-to-be-a-fighter-pilot-in-Indian-air-force-what-are-the-difference-between-cds-entries-afcat-entries-ncc-and-nda-enties-with-respect-to-the-above-question
What does it matter. TIT.
The thai way has merit. They have cut their costs and screening dramatically and already have the passionate ones from the get go.

That's the way I would do it. And I'm a licenced pilot.
  • Sad 1

It matters a great deal  ! And I am also a licensed pilot
the Thai way is rubbish in my opinion
it sounds like you are an elitist
if Thailand is serious about wanting female pilots it should cover the entire social spectrum.
Are you a junta supporter by any chance?:giggle:
Nah it's just budget. Your in a western mindset where they are recruiting 24/7 visiting schools and pushing hard.

You do realise this is a devolping country right?

And no need for personal attacks. With your attitude I doubt you would be selected even with your licence.
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Nah it's just budget. Your in a western mindset where they are recruiting 24/7 visiting schools and pushing hard.

You do realise this is a devolping country right?

And no need for personal attacks. With your attitude I doubt you would be selected even with your licence.

Personal attack? LOL :blink:

And I doubt you would have thick enough skin to be selected :giggle:. The fact that it is a developing country should make it even more imperative to look for young ladies from underprivileged backgrounds that would make just as good a pilot as you are.

Edited by midas
  • Like 1

Personal attack? LOL :blink:
And I doubt you would have thick enough skin to be selected :giggle:. The fact that it is a developing country should make it even more imperative to look for young ladies from underprivileged backgrounds that would make just as good a pilot as you are.

Dude it's over. Your dream of recruitment officers attending a thousand schools interviewing a thousand females AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN

It's over TIT
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Dude it's over. Your dream of recruitment officers attending a thousand schools interviewing a thousand females AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN

It's over TIT

Dude and how do you know?

3 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:
5 minutes ago, midas said:
Dude and how do you know?

Gee Errm because of the OP?

Gee and what happens if they don't get enough applicants who have a pilot's licence already? Do you think it's beyond the realm of possibility they could change their approach?

Gee and what happens if they don't get enough applicants who have a pilot's licence already? Do you think it's beyond the realm of possibility they could change their approach?
I doubt they are going for big numbers.

Most commercial pilots are trying to get into the airlines with a paycheck way above military so they are literally looking for a handful of super motivated not by money

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Norrad said:

Most modern airforces actually prefer candidates not to have any previous flying experience. They believe that any bad flying habits already developed are difficult to break out of. Militaries prefer to mold their personal from a clean slate where possible.

This is very true and accurate. There is one exception here, former fixed wing pilots re-roleing as helicopter pilots. The RTAF is on a loser here though, salaries is an obvious issue. This is I believe another smoke and mirrors exercise.

1 hour ago, Norrad said:

Most modern airforces actually prefer candidates not to have any previous flying experience. They believe that any bad flying habits already developed are difficult to break out of. Militaries prefer to mold their personal from a clean slate where possible.

This is what I was told when joining the Canadian Armed Forces many years ago.

• Like 1

Why make things hard, other than it’s the thai way?

this seems more like PR blah blah to me.

surely there is a register of qualified Thai pilots, somewhere within the disfunctional apparatus that is the Thai government, which would show how many females meet the age and qualification requirements... these can then be approached directly.

deal done.... easy easy... or is that too simplistic?