How Many Have Left Los

cm-happy

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't have to be too much of a braniac to get around the new visa regs ; get a 90 day tourist visa from Penang or Laos, then do your 3 visa runs and repeat. I haven't seen anyone quaking in their flip-flops.

I do know some people who are leaving for other reasons tho. Such as the excessive corruption and general mismanagement of the government and declining tourist numbers making business here more unattractive. There's also the increasing unfriendliness and Nationalistic attitude of the Thais that makes this place more and more less "sanook' than it used to be.

You don't have to be too much of a braniac to get around the new visa regs ; get a 90 day tourist visa from Penang or Laos, then do your 3 visa runs and repeat. I haven't seen anyone quaking in their flip-flops.

I do know some people who are leaving for other reasons tho. Such as the excessive corruption and general mismanagement of the government and declining tourist numbers making business here more unattractive. There's also the increasing unfriendliness and Nationalistic attitude of the Thais that makes this place more and more less "sanook' than it used to be.

What else is new? This predates anyone here by about a milennium give or take a century.

What else is new? This predates anyone here by about a milennium give or take a century.

That's true, but it was tolerable when we were making plenty of money and had happier people around us. Now that the moneys drying up and the people are becoming more xenophobic it's harder to put up with.

I'm in Pattaya so maybe my views are distorted. Thinking about leaving soon (as are many others). Let's see the BiB get by solely on their 5000 baht salaries when all the "Farang Buffalos" have gone. No more fancy new cars and designer clothes for them without our extortion money. Back to noodle soup and 20 year old motorbikes.

That's true, but it was tolerable when we were making plenty of money and had happier people around us. Now that the moneys drying up and the people are becoming more xenophobic it's harder to put up with.

I'm in Pattaya so maybe my views are distorted. Thinking about leaving soon (as are many others). Let's see the BiB get by solely on their 5000 baht salaries when all the "Farang Buffalos" have gone. No more fancy new cars and designer clothes for them without our extortion money. Back to noodle soup and 20 year old motorbikes.

They will surely miss you dgoz. Unlike thaivisa members . . .

Dunno how many have left, I just know that for the first time, clients of mine who focus on foriegners in Thailand (mainly Real Estate), are cancelling projects due to very little business. Expanding becomes a joke - they stick to survivial.

Edited by rogerinthai

Dunno how many have left, I just know that for the first time, clients of mine who focus on foriegners in Thailand (mainly Real Estate), are cancelling projects due to very little business. Expanding becomes a joke - they stick to survivial.

This is very good news for those of us who live long term in Thailand and plan to stay here. I'd like to more compassionate towards foreigners in real estate in Thailand and wish them everlasting expansion and ridiculously increasing prices and more traffic and all that comes with it, but I'm not!

They will surely miss you dgoz. Unlike thaivisa members . . .

The beauty of the internet means I can still log on to TV and be a pain in the ass from anywhere in the world, so be it in another time zone.

Dgoz--the previous posters out to lunch. Some of us will miss you. Maybe not for long, but we will miss you.

Actually, over the past few years the situation in Thailand has been changing and I think some of the rif-raf had already fled the scene. Cambodia is where quite a few went, I think.

What has been left in Thailand are a bit better class (in general), and they are the people who are together enough to legalize there stay one way or the other.

I know where I work, our turn-over rate has decreased a great deal because a lot of people don't want to lose that Non-immigrant B and WP. In the past people would decide they didn't want to work full-time etc. etc. and go the illegal route. Not any more.

No doubt there will be an exodus, but I don't think it's going to be extremely noticeable.

Our home sales are actually doing pretty well (note pretty well for us is just 3-4 homes a month), as expected that's Thai families and Thai-falang families that are here and fairly financially stable foundations.

One of my farang rental tenants has let me know that she'll probably leave for a few years within a few months but hopefully return later on (didn't specify if this was because of visa regs or not).

:o

edit: I should note that I don't have "a lot" of farang tenants... this represents 1/5 at the moment so I suppose 20% is somewhat significant

Edited by Heng

are tourist numbers declining?

i thought 10,000,000 tourists expected this year was a fair crack. :o

If you look back a couple years into the Thaivisa archives you will find many posters talking about leaving who are still here. Some even had usernames to that effect. They are still in Thailand, and until they actually leave, it's all just talk.

Our home sales are actually doing pretty well (note pretty well for us is just 3-4 homes a month), as expected that's Thai families and Thai-falang families that are here and fairly financially stable foundations.

One of my farang rental tenants has let me know that she'll probably leave for a few years within a few months but hopefully return later on (didn't specify if this was because of visa regs or not).

edit: I should note that I don't have "a lot" of farang tenants... this represents 1/5 at the moment so I suppose 20% is somewhat significant

Do you let offices as well? I spoke today with my building manager (an office building in Ratchada, ~170 units), who told me she does notice a reduction in demand.

This is very good news for those of us who live long term in Thailand and plan to stay here. I'd like to more compassionate towards foreigners in real estate in Thailand and wish them everlasting expansion and ridiculously increasing prices and more traffic and all that comes with it, but I'm not!

You know mdeland, those foreigners are not always "Fat Rich Developers", the guys I am talking about are small real estate brokers, guys like you and me living here long term, just trying to make a living, who currently can barely afford paying salaries.

And whether it is good news for "us" or not - it depends who is "us". If you include foriegners owning a condo, then they have probably made a bad investment, and it is not such good news for them. If you are planning to buy a condo and waiting for the prices to drop, well, you can never know how low they will get. Sincerely, I didn't understand where do you see the good news.

10,000,000 tourists expected by who? Expecting is one, dreaming is a totally different story...

10,000,000 tourists expected by who? Expecting is one, dreaming is a totally different story...

10,000,000 tourists visited los last year and they expect the same this year.

Indeed,for now i will just stick in in savings as well,just for survival indeed.

I have got a family over here,and how it will be if papa,can't stay anymore cause the money is finished.

So no holiday this year,just saving.Cause first wasn't it 200 kfor single enrty??after that 400.Now 40k a month.

So I jumped to multiple,and the 400k just showing up again.

I know some will notice I am complaining on the forum today.But now I am forced to go back to touristvisa's and VOA's.......just rediculous.Some of you will say just keep your means together and get financial secure so you will no have any problems...But for some ,like me it is not that easy,got 2 children and just opened a new business for my wife to try to ga back to the 40k status,but needs time,not easy to make money like that.

For me i can go study in home,oversees studying,but will take me years to have a doctorale to be able to make money like that...Just getting crazy,the married ones should be more protected.

maybe the imm officers should be taken of their wifes and kids for a year and then they will understand that this is unhuman to da........hope the next government will bring some more juice in the thaicake,cause me and a lot of us more need a favour thank you very much...

2 have left that i know. both teachers working illegally.i know a couple more are thinking of going,1 over 50 without the required cash.another guy under 50 ,unmarried. still considering it myself, depends how things go in the next few months.

You know mdeland, those foreigners are not always "Fat Rich Developers", the guys I am talking about are small real estate brokers, guys like you and me living here long term, just trying to make a living, who currently can barely afford paying salaries.

And whether it is good news for "us" or not - it depends who is "us". If you include foriegners owning a condo, then they have probably made a bad investment, and it is not such good news for them. If you are planning to buy a condo and waiting for the prices to drop, well, you can never know how low they will get. Sincerely, I didn't understand where do you see the good news.

Only re-inforces what mdeland says. They cannot do this work here and have no sympathy from any other foreigners living here outside the real estate field.

I suggest that if Thai Salaries go unpaid, a good paid of running shoes will be required and a better physique than most Real Estate illegal workers have. Better not ever contemplate that, whatever the political situation.

Real Estate - the business of bullshitting, cutting and running, scare-mongering and having no friends! (source whickedpediac)

Mods. Why are his post littered with adverts?

Edited by Dupont

Only re-inforces what mdeland says. They cannot do this work here and have no sympathy from any other foreigners living here outside the real estate field.

I suggest that if Thai Salaries go unpaid, a good paid of running shoes will be required and a better physique than most Real Estate illegal workers have. Better not ever contemplate that, whatever the political situation.

Real Estate - the business of bullshitting, cutting and running, scare-mongering and having no friends! (source whickedpediac)

I read your post 3 times and couldn't follow the logic. Why should foriegners who bought condos be happy that their value will go down, as a result of harder legistlation? :o Are you pissed about something or somebody? If so, go ahead, spill it all out with names, if any!

Mods. Why are his post littered with adverts?

That is a good question indeed, they are not my adverts, the system apparently adds those links automatically once recognizing certain keywords - see it in dgoz's post as well.

EDIT: and now, all gone :D

Edited by rogerinthai

Its true some have left, whats getting overlooked is many of the guys who have the correct paperwork and visa's now started off on multiple 30 day tourist visas. For me its more of a hassle than anything else.

For guys with money to live here the 30 day visa was a security blanket, now that security is gone. All its done is to bring instability and instability tightens pocket books. Anyone that wants to can just go hang out in Malaysia for 90 days then come back to Thailand. This just means that 90 days worth of money could have been spent here and not there. I believe it will be good for Malaysia and other countries because guys who would not have considered going there will end up there because of the new rules, they might even like it better. Like one guy was saying before, It sure is nice to just walk down the sidewalk in Kuala Lumpur, its impossible in Bangkok.

I have moments of frustration here in Thailand and leaving for 90 days would be a nice break but I still love the place and the people, I dont see that changing no matter what happens.

Do you let offices as well? I spoke today with my building manager (an office building in Ratchada, ~170 units), who told me she does notice a reduction in demand.

Nothing as big as that. Just shophouses that folks have turned into offices. And none of those folks are falang anyway.

:D