White Baton Rouge policeman fired over shooting of black man

rooster59

White Baton Rouge policeman fired over shooting of black man

By Ian Simpson

800x800 (2).jpg

FILE PHOTO: A boy sits next to a makeshift memorial outside the Triple S Food Mart where Alton Sterling was fatally shot by police in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, U.S. July 7, 2016. REUTERS/Jonathan Bachman/File Photo

(Reuters) - A white Louisiana police officer was fired on Friday and a second suspended for the killing of Alton Sterling, a black man shot in a 2016 incident that inflamed the U.S. debate on racial bias in law enforcement, a police official said.

Baton Rouge officer Blane Salamoni, who shot Sterling in a confrontation outside a convenience store, was dismissed for violating department standards on use of force and for losing his temper, Police Chief Murphy Paul told a news conference.

The second officer, Howie Lake, was suspended for three days for failing to maintain his composure. The decisions followed an administrative review of the July 2016 shooting, and both officers plan to appeal, Paul said.

The steps are designed "to bring closure to a cloud that has been over our community for far too long," he said.

Sterling was among black men slain by police whose deaths sparked U.S. protests and helped fuel the Black Lives Matter movement.

Police released four videos of the confrontation with Sterling outside a convenience store, where he was selling CDs.

Paul called the footage from a police dash camera, officers' body cameras, and a store surveillance camera "graphic and shocking to the conscience."

Salamoni's camera shows him yelling at Sterling with expletives to put his hands on a car. He points a gun at his Sterling's head and shouts he will shoot him if he moves.

While struggling with Sterling, both officers' cameras came loose. Lake's footage ends by showing Sterling on his back in the parking lot, blood draining from his body.

Sterling, 37, was shot after a resident reported he had been threatened by a black man selling CDs. Police said Sterling was trying to pull a loaded gun out of his pocket when Salamoni opened fire.

Lawyers representing Sterling's five children applauded Salamoni's firing, but expressed disappointment that the officers would not face charges.

"The person who was out of control was Blane Salamoni," attorney Michael Adams said at a news conference. "The person who stood by and let him be out of control was Howie Lake. That’s a tragedy."

Louisiana Attorney General Jeff Landry said this week that Lake and Salamoni would not face charges since they had reason to believe that Sterling was armed and was resisting arrest.

The U.S. Department of Justice declined to prosecute the officers for civil rights violations in 2017, citing insufficient evidence.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-03-31

1 hour ago, lovelomsak said:

What ever happened to that Somalia policeman who shot the women. The one where the woman  was talking to the other policeman in the car when he just shot her. Nothing came of that huh.

Minneapolis Officer Charged With Murder in Australian Woman’s Death

The Minneapolis police officer who fatally shot an unarmed Australian woman last summer, an incident that led to protests and the ouster of the city’s police chief, was jailed Tuesday on charges of third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter.

The shooting of the woman, Justine Damond, by Officer Mohamed Noor on July 15 renewed questions about police conduct and training in a region that has seen a series of police shootings in recent years.

“Officer Noor did not act reasonably,” Mike Freeman, the Hennepin County attorney, said at a news conference Tuesday afternoon, adding that the officer “abused his authority to use deadly force.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/20/us/minneapolis-police-shooting-justine-damond.html

More proof that there is, indeed, a double standard.

Edited by cabinfever
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, cabinfever said:

More proof that there is, indeed, a double standard.

No double standard demonstrated by these two entirely different cases.

Some fun facts for you:

More blacks are killed by black officers than by whites.

More whites are killed by police than are blacks.

(DOG figures)

59 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

Some fun facts for you:

(DOG figures)

I was replying to post #2. Notice you didn't have any criticism of that. And you got any proof to back up your first claim? Seems doubtful.

And since there are about 8 times as many white Americans as black, as stated your second comment  doesn't prove anything..

1 hour ago, DoctorG said:

Some fun facts for you:

(DOG figures)

Certainly a double standard. Black cop shoots white woman charged with murder. White cop shoots black man gets sacked no charges pending and can still appeal his dismissal. Get it?

Edited by starky
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Very different circumstances.

1. The male who was shot and killed was carrying a concealed fire arm and physically confronted the . police officers. The police allege that the deceased  reached for his concealed  weapon. As a convicted felon, the man should not have carried a firearm.

The police officers violated police procedure in the manner in which the approached the deceased is why they were disciplined. Alton's  46-page long criminal record which included "convictions going back 20 years for illegal weapons possession; battery; carnal knowledge of a teen-ager (whom he impregnated); possession of stolen property; disturbing the peace; domestic abuse; and, in the month before his death, failing to register as a sex offender was unknown to the police officers and therefore irrelevant. However, based on his past  history, it is likely that the deceased would have pulled out the firearm and used it, because as a  multiple offender felon, he most definitely was going to prison for a long time, so the benefit of the doubt  should be given to the police.

2. the female who was shot is not reported to have made any threatening gestures or actions. The deceased had reported a possible crime. despite claims that she was  Australian, she was in fact a dual national holding both US and Australian citizenship. It seems that  Officer Mohammed Noor was a tad trigger happy and made a mistake. He did not follow police procedure  for the circumstances.

None of that mattered at the time they were shot. they didn't know he had a concealed weapon till after the fact.  As for a " tad trigger happy and made a mistake" that says all I need to hear I'm out.

27 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Very different circumstances.

1. The male who was shot and killed was carrying a concealed fire arm and physically confronted the . police officers. The police allege that the deceased  reached for his concealed  weapon. As a convicted felon, the man should not have carried a firearm.

The police officers violated police procedure in the manner in which the approached the deceased is why they were disciplined. Alton's  46-page long criminal record which included "convictions going back 20 years for illegal weapons possession; battery; carnal knowledge of a teen-ager (whom he impregnated); possession of stolen property; disturbing the peace; domestic abuse; and, in the month before his death, failing to register as a sex offender was unknown to the police officers and therefore irrelevant. However, based on his past  history, it is likely that the deceased would have pulled out the firearm and used it, because as a  multiple offender felon, he most definitely was going to prison for a long time, so the benefit of the doubt  should be given to the police.

2. the female who was shot is not reported to have made any threatening gestures or actions. The deceased had reported a possible crime. despite claims that she was  Australian, she was in fact a dual national holding both US and Australian citizenship. It seems that  Officer Mohammed Noor was a tad trigger happy and made a mistake. He did not follow police procedure  for the circumstances.

Right on, Kid ! a world of difference !

2 hours ago, starky said:

None of that mattered at the time they were shot. they didn't know he had a concealed weapon till after the fact.  As for a " tad trigger happy and made a mistake" that says all I need to hear I'm out.

Yes  it was concealed from view till he went to use it and exposed it  

quote  Police said Sterling was trying to pull a loaded gun out of his pocket when Salamoni opened fire. unquote

Edited by lovelomsak

8 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

I am going to take this opportunity to say something I have thought about for a long time.  

I am not American I have never lived with or near blacks. When I was young I was fully supportive of the black movement to do away with race problems in America and any where else as far as that goes. I  was impressed and fully supportive when the Black Panthers came into being. But as my life played out I have started to doubt the black movement.

Take this case for example Sterling had a long criminal record he was not a contributing member of society. He was a professional criminal. If he had been WASP I would have applauded the police for what they did in keeping the city a safer place.. No matter what color the police were.I would have saw it as police doing what they get paid for keeping our communities safe.

But the blacks come to Sterlings defense. Not being American and only an observer this comes across to me that blacks condone criminal blacks and support them to stay doing their crimes against society.It is starting to look like blacks feel they have a god given right to be criminals with out justice. 

It is beyond me to see the racism here sorry. 

They will riot in support of criminals being killed in the line of duty by police. What other race or ethnic group does this none that I know of.But I am open to examples if people have them. I can understand supporting some one who was wronged and is a good person. But to riot and loot because a low life drug dealer or thief gets killed in a confrontation leaves a lot to credibility of the people involved. And this is happening more and more in America.

To any black members here a TV please do not take this as a racist post it is just what I read and  feel. And my feelings now are that blacks are out of control in America and need to look at what they are displaying  with their actions . Time for their community to take responsibility and stop blaming others for their plight.I feel it is time for black leaders to take the role of teaching the young how well they can have it in America. Make them aware police going after criminals is not rascist it is simply keeping law and order. Their leaders have to stop pointing fingers and do some soul searching.

I know this post will be gone soon but at least I got it off my chest. Thank you TV

You don't even bother to qualify your assertion by saying "some blacks." If African Americans are so out of control then why is it that crime rates in America have been mostly declining for the past 30 years? Homicide rates are nearly where they were in the 50's. What's out of control is your bigotry.

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, cabinfever said:

You don't even bother to qualify your assertion by saying "some blacks." If African Americans are so out of control then why is it that crime rates in America have been mostly declining for the past 30 years? Homicide rates are nearly where they were in the 50's. What's out of control is your bigotry.

I did not post this to arque sorry. I never mentioned crime rates etc as you do I talked individuals  Please get a grasp on reality and do us all some good.

Just out of curious though where did you pull the "some blacks "  quote from?

Edited by lovelomsak
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

I did not post this to arque sorry. I never mentioned crime rates etc as you do I talked individuals  Please get a grasp on reality and do us all some good.

How does " And my feelings now are that blacks are out of control in America and need to look at what they are displaying  with their actions" agree with "I talked individuals"?. Talking individuals is exactly the opposite of what you did..