Anyone tried the new craft beers in 7-Eleven?

I tried the new Thai craft beers that are on sale in 7-Eleven.

One is called Kiss Me Deadly, the other is Honey Bomb. 

Not the greatest IPAs I've ever had but pretty good and a nice alternative to the usual Singha, Leo etc.

99baht each they cost.

Interestingly they were advertised as 'Thai craft beer' but they're actually imported from Cambodia.

Anyone else tried them?

I haven't yet tried the craft brews you mention above, but I will.

I did find a new brew "Federbrau," in Tops (available in Makro, also) about a month ago. Advertised as a "German Single Malt." It is excellent and about the same price as Chang, Singh etc.

Crisp, clean taste with no bite or aftertaste. No hangover.

They got this brew right! Recommended!

20180404_075805.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wump said:

The consensus on the Breakfast Club has been that their are rather crap, especially for the price asked. I only hear good things about that new 500ml Weizen (German style wheat beer) from Singha. It's only 48 Baht. Might be a better choice. Drinking a German Weizen back home right now @ 13 Baht for the same size. Bloody awesome.

Where do you find German wheat beer 500 ml for only 13 baht? I might believe 130 baht!

55 minutes ago, Ricky HKT said:

I did find a new brew "Federbrau," in Tops (available in Makro, also) about a month ago. Advertised as a "German Single Malt." It is excellent and about the same price as Chang, Singh etc.

20180404_075805.jpg

I tried that a while back, being misled thinking it was a true German beer. Then I saw it was made here in Thailand and had an ABV of 4.7%.

I really did not rate it to be truthful, I thought it had a bitter aftertaste and was certainly substandard compared with a real imported German beer, which incidentally was over 5%ABV (like most German beers), for the price though and for a different taste to the popular but vile Chang, Leo, Archar, Singha, Cheers it faired well.

I would recommend trying Red Horse from San Miguel and Cheers Xtra in the red can, they are about 49 Baht each, the Red Horse I believe is a 640ml bottle and the Cheers is 500ml. Not bad beers in as far as I can tell, (my pallet is a bit ruined these days.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Formaleins said:

Then I saw it was made here in Thailand

The Heineken that you can buy in Thailand is also made in Thailand, but that doesn't make it a Thai beer! Same goes for the Federbrau, which is, for the price, not a bad beer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wump said:

Drinking a German Weizen back home right now @ 13 Baht for the same size. Bloody awesome.

You are drinking Beer for under 50 Euro-Cent ??? Cheep Charly, please stay in Germany ;-)

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Knocker33 said:

Have tried Snowy a German wheat beer 55 baht for 490 mls can. No bad

There was a thread about this Snowy Beer a short while back.  The general consensus was that it was good.  I don't recall anyone being able to tell me where to buy it.  Can you advise please?

6 minutes ago, CH1961 said:

You are drinking Beer for under 50 Euro-Cent ??? Cheep Charly, please stay in Germany ;-)

You can buy beer for half that in Spain. Beer in Thailand is absurdly overpriced, which I suppose is how the brewery owners are among the richest men in the country.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mikosan said:

There was a thread about this Snowy Beer a short while back.  The general consensus was that it was good.  I don't recall anyone being able to tell me where to buy it.  Can you advise please?

7/11   55 baht on the left vs 50 baht on the right...the rights have it .............

P_20180329_162236.jpg.9a3cee8283c35912ecc703a1fcb8ed4c.jpg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, johng said:

7/11   55 baht on the left vs 50 baht on the right...the rights have it .............

P_20180329_162236.jpg.9a3cee8283c35912ecc703a1fcb8ed4c.jpg

My local tescos didnt have wiezen but have cheers x-tra so picked up a coupe of cans to try it out.  Hope its not the same as "piss in the wardrobe" Tenants Extra.

Just now, Tilacme said:

Hope its not the same as "piss in the wardrobe" Tenants Extra.

No I think its better than  Tenants extra, though I haven't drunk that since I was about 16 years old

and only "pissed out the window"  not in the wardrobe  :laugh:

• Haha 1

A friend of mine got some Cambodian beers from the border market (Thai side).

One was called "Back Panther" is a dark stout - 8% ABV.. Brewed under licence from Carlsberg.  Really quite tasty - if you like the canned Guinness "lookalikes".

5 hours ago, mikosan said:

Most 7-11 stock it

10 hours ago, wump said:

I find all Weizens taste so strong like Weizen that I can't really taste a huge difference. Don't know why I should fork out one Euro (38 Baht) for an Erdinger when I might as well drink the store brand for 33 cents (13 Baht). Nothing to do with Cheap Charlie. I just don't really think the product is inferior and I don't need to show off when drinking at home.

In Germany :). 1 euro = 38 THB.
348s.jpg.b498a0dcc1ead265a3c4cacf4b871f0a.jpg

1036046.jpg

A bit  far to go for a beer! Oettinger was available here from BigC for a while at 95 baht for 339 ml, but seems to have disappeared.

Interesting. They still have Oettinger in Tops for I believe 99 Baht (500 ml cans). That's nearly 8 times the German price including 19% VAT.
It's the cheapest European beer in Thailand and the cheapest in Australia (cheaper than the local ones) at A$ 30 a carton.

Edit: I know Oettinger is considered 'bum's beer' back home, but IT IS the best-selling beer in Germany. I only hear good things about their Weizen.

Edited by wump

1 hour ago, wump said:

Interesting. They still have Oettinger in Tops for I believe 99 Baht (500 ml cans). That's nearly 8 times the German price including 19% VAT.
It's the cheapest European beer in Thailand and the cheapest in Australia (cheaper than the local ones) at A$ 30 a carton.

Edit: I know Oettinger is considered 'bum's beer' back home, but IT IS the best-selling beer in Germany. I only hear good things about their Weizen.

I occasionally see Oettinger Export, but that's not the right stuff. Oettinger Original is the real deal.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2018 at 8:06 AM, Ricky HKT said:

20180404_075805.jpg

I have been drinking this for YEARS. But they have changed the recipe this year and now it is <deleted>. Only 61 Bht in Tesco for 620 ml bottle though.

• Like 1