Three visa exemptions in March and April, will i get a 4th?

In the process of relocating my family to Thailand I have made three visits to Thailand in the last 6 weeks and had a Visa Exemption each time.

1st Visa exemption was with the family to visit the school. We arrived BKK and left 3 days later.

2nd Visa exemption was arrival with the family for 10 day holiday and family orientation.

3rd Visa exemption was half way through the 10 day holiday when I had to fly to a business meeting in Singapore for the day.

Total time in Thailand on 3 visa exemptions was 13 days.

I am due to arrive in 3 weeks time on a visa exemption to get my retirement visa (Non O), open a bank account, get a drivers license etc.

I have read that transiting through the airport there is no limit on Visa Exemptions. But after reading some of the posts in this forum I am begining to think that is not true.

Generally I travel business class so I get to use the VIP channel.

I have a British passport and a Chinese residence visa.

I will have a return business class ticket for 3 days later, confirmed hotel booking at a 5* hotel in BKK.

I have 2 confirmation letters that I have paid the school fees for the children.

I will carry 100k Baht in cash as well as credit cards for the bank opening.

How likely is it that I will denied a 4th Visa exemption in this scenario?

Many thanks for any input here.

Sent from my SM-N9500 using Tapatalk

Hard to say but going off the last person who mentioned so many together, maybe not 
Read the post in maybe yesterdays news, this person (usa ) was sent back to Japan
Yes I read that. That is what made me question the path I am on. Originally I did not know about the OA visa and since have investigated it properly and can get one with no issue in quick time but I have to arrive on the 30 day exemption. If I had of known when I was in Bangkok last month I would have done it then..

You should have absolutely no problem with a 4th visa exempt entry, especially if using the VIP channel. Just make sure you have supporting documents to hand concerning your reason to stay in the unlikely case you’re questioned.

Immigration are interested in the time spent in the country as a ‘tourist’, not the number of entries.

Immigration are trying to stop people living long term in the country as a ‘tourist’, not stop frequent short term visits using the visa exempt scheme.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, joe china said:

Yes I read that. That is what made me question the path I am on. Originally I did not know about the OA visa and since have investigated it properly and can get one with no issue in quick time but I have to arrive on the 30 day exemption. If I had of known when I was in Bangkok last month I would have done it then..

You apply for the OA visa in your home country not in Thailand so perhaps you still have time to do that before your next trip, then you don't need to apply for a Non-O in Thailand.

We used about 6 visa exempts with no problems over a three month period just recently.  This was with a passport with lots of tourist visas and O visas from previous years.  No questions asked.  We came in and out via the priority lanes.  Most stays were 2-3 weeks and one was just short of the 30 day mark.  

"Total time in Thailand on 3 visa exemptions was 13 days."

you won't have any problems at all and if you were questioned, which i think is highly unlikely, with the documentation you mentioned etc you might even get a smile and a wai and a welcome to Thailand

Thanks for all the responses. My fears are somewhat allayed.

I have looked at getting the Non OA visa here in China but the regulations call for a criminal records check which is easy enough but more hoffifyingly for a double notorised medical certificate, first with a Chinese Thai Notary and secondly with the Chinese Ministry of Foriegn Affairs for double certification. So on that basis alone, I am happier to travel to Thailand and get the OA there.Screenshot_20180417-071120.jpg

As others have mostly stated, it is very, very unlikely you would have a problem. Not even the most bone headed official is going to conclude that you are using visa exempt entries to stay extended periods in Thailand based on your travel history.

Surpriced no one told you, but you can FORGET about getting a O-A in Thailand, not possible. What you can get is what you orginally stated... a Non Immigrant O-VISA meaning you convert you excempt tourist-VISA into a Non O at your local immigration-office inside Thailand,, and then  after a WAIT for 2 months, you can aply for an extension of stay based on retirement here in Thailand....

glegolo

Thanks for that information.

I have been in communication with a visa service in BKK that have stated that I can get the multiple entry Non OA visa in BKK within 2 days if I travel in on a visa exemption and can show the funding. They will handle all the matters for me and they seem to be a reputable company. But what your saying here is that you can't get the Non OA while in Thailand.

Now I am truly confused.

5 minutes ago, joe china said:

I have been in communication with a visa service in BKK that have stated that I can get the multiple entry Non OA visa in BKK within 2 days if I travel in on a visa exemption and can show the funding. They will handle all the matters for me and they seem to be a reputable company. But what your saying here is that you can't get the Non OA while in Thailand.

A OA visa can only be issued at a embassy or official Thai consulate.

It a matter of somebody calling a one year extension of stay based upon retirement issued by immigration a OA visa.

You would first apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry and then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry you would apply for the extension of stay. After getting the extension you would then get a multiple re-entry permit.

1 minute ago, joe china said:

OK. So perhaps the best thing for me is to get the Thailand Elite 5 year visa. For 500k Baht, I get less of a headache.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Elite 5 year?

the elite is fine but since you qualify to do a retirement extension it really is pretty straight forward to do yourself so why waste the money on the elite. that's my thoughts anyway

13 hours ago, Swimman said:

A renewable one-year extension of stay costs 1,900 Bht/year - Five-year cost = 9, 500 Bht  For those who chose to buy an Elite 5 year visa the cost is substantially greater -  

Hello swimman. Please tell me more about the five year extension of stay and how would one apply for this on Phuket, if I am on an extension of stay due to retirement? Presently I renew every year? Thank you.

18 hours ago, joe china said:

Does anyone have an opinion on the Elite 5 year?

Elite visa allows you to apply for work permit but retirement visa does not. Otherwise, it is better to hire an agent for may be 25K to get extension every year. That seems to be less expensive and hassle free option, in my option.

7 hours ago, Inepto Cracy said:

Please tell me more about the five year extension of stay and how would one apply for this on Phuket, if I am on an extension of stay due to retirement? Presently I renew every year? Thank you.

He was writing about the total for 5 one year extension of stay  being ฿9500 (5 X 1900).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, onera1961 said:

Elite visa allows you to apply for work permit but retirement visa does not.

You cannot get a work permit and work with a Thai elite visa. It requires getting a non-b visa.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Inepto Cracy said:

Hello swimman. Please tell me more about the five year extension of stay and how would one apply for this on Phuket, if I am on an extension of stay due to retirement? Presently I renew every year? Thank you.

There is not one I am aware of. If you read my post again I write about an ONE YEAR renewable extension of stay --- I then contrast the cost of five such ONE YEAR EXTENSIONS with the cost of the Elite visa......................

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, onera1961 said:

Elite visa allows you to apply for work permit but retirement visa does not. Otherwise, it is better to hire an agent for may be 25K to get extension every year. That seems to be less expensive and hassle free option, in my option.

You could apply for a work permit with either a PE visa or "retirement visa".

• The work permit for a PE visa holder wouldn't be issued until they had an appropriate non-immigrant visa 'B' or 'O' (if the spouse or parent of a Thai). 
  • A work permit might be issued by the labour office to someone with a "retirement visa" (extension of stay), but they would most likely insist on the person leaving and re-entering with a Non 'B' visa first, or that they charge the reason for their extension to spouse or parent. Although labour offices do, on occasion, issue work permits to someone with a "retirement visa" it voids the "retirement visa" and immigration, if they found out, would probably insist that the reason for the extension is changed, or that the person to exits/re-enters with an appropriate visa.

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You cannot get a work permit and work with a Thai elite visa. It requires getting a non-b visa.

Than it not useful, in my opinion, for people above 50 who can easily get a retirement visa. Even using an agent to avoid immigration hassle is cheaper option.

Of course, people who are below 50, it may be a good option compared to border runs and multiple tourist visas.