Thappraya/Khopai area - any experiences of living there?

DrTuner

I'd like to tap into the wisdom of the forum here, as I don't happen to know anyone living in the Thappraya/Khopai area of Pattaya. I might have yet another temporary bout of insanity and gift my wife one more house, in the hopes she might let me live there. Yes, save your breath with the usual "advise", all known to me. I can afford it.

About that particular area, I seem to remember Khopai has a reputation for some drug-related activity? Any truth to that? Wouldn't want to be holed up in the middle of a gangbanger ghetto. 

I know the immediate areas around Thappraya and like how you can travel in the north-south direction and avoid at least some of the Tai/Klang/Nua BKK invasion traffic. Any caveats of the area in general?

Yes I remember reading lots of news reports about drug busts and checkpoints on Soi Khopai...if my memory serves there are/was a row of Thai Karaoke pubs along that road,I haven't been down there for a few years though.

57 minutes ago, pegman said:

Can you describe where Soi Khopai is. I've lived on  Thappraya for over 3 1/2 years but it's not clear to me where  Khopai is.

It's the one going from Thepprasit to Tai, https://goo.gl/maps/eaWYvUQZbuN2 . I've used it mostly as a shortcut to drive through to center when coming from the south. Has a lot of side sois.

Any insights about life on Thappraya? Traffic conditions, karaoke places blasting all night, etc?

1 hour ago, DrTuner said:

It's the one going from Thepprasit to Tai, https://goo.gl/maps/eaWYvUQZbuN2 . I've used it mostly as a shortcut to drive through to center when coming from the south. Has a lot of side sois.

Any insights about life on Thappraya? Traffic conditions, karaoke places blasting all night, etc?

It a very long road stretching all the way from the bottom of Pratumnak Hill then passing the Junction of PH at the other end and then continues all the way to Jomtien. Therefore you have a mixture of purlieus and environs.  It does not feature Thai style pubs, big bars or Karoke joints. I walk from the upper junction of Pratumnak/TP to Threpasit frequently. It's mainly residential and small businesses, a few hi so restaurants and the big western supermarket next to the airport bus station. 

5 minutes ago, The manic said:

It a very long road stretching all the way from the bottom of Pratumnak Hill then passing the Junction of PH at the other end and then continues all the way to Jomtien. Therefore you have a mixture of purlieus and environs.  It does not feature Thai style pubs, big bars or Karoke joints. I walk from the upper junction of Pratumnak/TP to Threpasit frequently. It's mainly residential and small businesses, a few hi so restaurants and the big western supermarket next to the airport bus station. 

Thanks, the lack of Thai pubs & Karaoke is a definite plus. I'm guessing it gets more Thai when you go from Thappraya towards Sukhumvit, I've never ventured into the guts of the area within Thappraya, Tai, Sukhumvit, and Thepprasit roads, hence my questions. I will do so once Songkran is over, but it's not the same as having information about day-to-day life in the area.

The corner of Thappraya & Thepprasit is familiar to me, right now I'm eyeballing the more northern area from Sugar Hut (the Pratumnak intersection) to 3rd Road, where f.ex. Residence Garden is located. Baht bus route is a major draw, given the horrors of parking in central Pattaya.

Airport bus station is news to me, is this the supermarket you're referring to? https://goo.gl/maps/MjycxcgqrmJ2 It was the first one I ever visited in Pattaya over 10 years ago, I don't remember buses from then and haven't returned since. Would be great if that service is decent.

16 minutes ago, ThaiBob said:

What post #5 described has nothing to do with Soi Ghopai.  Ghopai is nowhere near Pratumnak hill or Tappraya Rd.

16 minutes ago, ThaiBob said:

What post #5 described has nothing to do with Soi Ghopai.  Ghopai is nowhere near Pratumnak hill or Tappraya Rd.

I was describing Thapraya Rd. Not Soi Gopai. The OP asked for info on two seperate areas. I provided information on the one I know most about: Thapraya Rd. 

Please refer to OP below.

"I'd like to tap into the wisdom of the forum here, as I don't happen to know anyone living in the Thappraya/Khopai area of Pattaya. "

So big raspberry to you!

Ok, so it seems these two areas are distinct. Looking at the satellite photos there seems to be wilderness east of T.W. villages and Bonkai before the Kophai area starts. Only connecting soi seems to be the one opposite the land office. Surprising that such area would be so underdeveloped. 

I hope you are not confusing Theprasit and Thappraya. Ghopai is the busiest Soi connecting Thepprasit and South Pattaya Rd. The area is very well developed with few vacant lots on the Soi itself. I suggest you view the area yourself or use Google Street view.

1 hour ago, ThaiBob said:

I hope you are not confusing Theprasit and Thappraya. Ghopai is the busiest Soi connecting Thepprasit and South Pattaya Rd. The area is very well developed with few vacant lots on the Soi itself. I suggest you view the area yourself or use Google Street view.

Not confusing. I just thought since Thappraya and Khopai are the largest north-south sois in the area they'd have connecting side sois. Not the case:

banoork.JPG.c4cc0a2e1d137e6edfc819e5d6f215c0.JPG

15 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Not confusing. I just thought since Thappraya and Khopai are the largest north-south sois in the area they'd have connecting side sois. Not the case:

No. You go up Thapraya turn left at Threppasit go down and turn left around Soi 12....then around the Lion is a left turn that can lead to Kopai/sai Sam or the back of tuc com on Soi Tai...So consider this as two different areas both culturally and geographically Thapraya borders VIP land...Pratumnak soi 5.and 6..plus the Pattaya park and Russian food market adjacent. Thapraya stetches all the way to Jomtien beach.Good luck

4 minutes ago, The manic said:

So consider this as two different areas both culturally and geographically Thapraya borders VIP land...Pratumnak soi 5.and 6..plus the Pattaya park and Russian food market adjacent. 

Thanks. This is the sort of info I was looking for. I'll concentrate on the Thappraya then.

2 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Thanks. This is the sort of info I was looking for. I'll concentrate on the Thappraya then.

Its a very long road .You can divide into two manageable sections....from the roundabout at the bottom where third road and Pratumnak hill meet and then go up to junction near the Mata Hari restaurant / Bobby bar/sugar hut/ Pratumnak rd. The second half would be from.this junction up to Threppasit,  passing Food mart then passing Linda's then looping right to Jomtien beach near the gold garuda statue

7 hours ago, DrTuner said:

The area labeled wilderness now has large condoblocks under construction except near Thepprasit.  Soi 8 another heavily traveled route as it takes you to the Land Office and eventually connects with Soi 17 at 3rd Rd.  There are lots of residential areas off the sub-sois in this general area (includind Khopai); Pratumnak Hill is definitely more upmarket but has no baht bus service, unlike Thepprasit which does.

" I might have yet another temporary bout of insanity and gift my wife one more house, in the hopes she might let me live there."

Can't see why one needs permission from anyone to buy and live in a property of one's choosing, as it seems your wife will not be living there with you?

13 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Thanks, the lack of Thai pubs & Karaoke is a definite plus. I'm guessing it gets more Thai when you go from Thappraya towards Sukhumvit, I've never ventured into the guts of the area within Thappraya, Tai, Sukhumvit, and Thepprasit roads, hence my questions. I will do so once Songkran is over, but it's not the same as having information about day-to-day life in the area.

The corner of Thappraya & Thepprasit is familiar to me, right now I'm eyeballing the more northern area from Sugar Hut (the Pratumnak intersection) to 3rd Road, where f.ex. Residence Garden is located. Baht bus route is a major draw, given the horrors of parking in central Pattaya.

Airport bus station is news to me, is this the supermarket you're referring to? https://goo.gl/maps/MjycxcgqrmJ2 It was the first one I ever visited in Pattaya over 10 years ago, I don't remember buses from then and haven't returned since. Would be great if that service is decent.

For three years (2014-2017), I lived on Thrappaya Soi 4 at the Hyde Park Condo 1. (Very near the Residence Garden, on the opposite side of Thrappaya). That area is devoid of noise making bars and kareoke joints.

I moved to Cosey Beach for a highrise with an ocean view and breeze.

PM me if you would luke any further information about that area. Best wishes on your search.

17 hours ago, The manic said:

That's the most expensive western supermarket I have ever been in here in Thailand. No way

would I ever use it.

4 hours ago, dotpoom said:

" I might have yet another temporary bout of insanity and gift my wife one more house, in the hopes she might let me live there."

Can't see why one needs permission from anyone to buy and live in a property of one's choosing, as it seems your wife will not be living there with you?

Sarcasm never works here, does it.

On 4/18/2018 at 9:10 PM, The manic said:

I was describing Thapraya Rd. Not Soi Gopai. The OP asked for info on two seperate areas. I provided information on the one I know most about: Thapraya Rd. 

Please refer to OP below.

"I'd like to tap into the wisdom of the forum here, as I don't happen to know anyone living in the Thappraya/Khopai area of Pattaya. "

So big raspberry to you!

It's your fault for not writing more clearly, as you started with "It a very long road stretching all the way from the bottom of Pratumnak Hill ..."

"It" can mean alot of things, so can "is"...just ask Bill Clinton

image.png.2959a8f3353bce8da7f4941cc30e0632.png

Khopai is a $hlthole, I wonder how can anybody wish to live there. Go to the darkside, a lot better.

Khopai market is also where idiots cops check innocent people urine at night, even if they obviously do not take drug, but it's a way to make easy money....

Avoid this SOI at all price !

On 4/19/2018 at 11:47 AM, possum1931 said:

That's the most expensive western supermarket I have ever been in here in Thailand. No way

would I ever use it.

Prices improved greatly and when living next to it, it is very convenient. They also have fresh food as salads sold at exactly the same as any other supermarket in Pattaya.

5 minutes ago, gaff said:

Prices improved greatly and when living next to it, it is very convenient. They also have fresh food as salads sold at exactly the same as any other supermarket in Pattaya.

You are referring to the small supermarket at Jomtein where the airport buses leave from, I was

there about six months ago, and it sure was very expensive then, but I do not like salads.

42 minutes ago, gaff said:

Khopai is a $hlthole, I wonder how can anybody wish to live there. Go to the darkside, a lot better.

I am in the darkside. The East-West traffic jams on Tai/Klang/Nua is what I'm trying to avoid. On weekends it can easily take 25-30mins to do Suk-2nd using Tai.

I went to see the Thappraya area last weekend. Surprisingly it's quite forest-y, with vacant plots of land and heavy vegetation when you go more than ~200m away from Thappraya. The village I saw was like a ghost town, even the security didn't bother, the gate was open. Not a good sign. Apparently you need to be close to Thappraya or it's wilderness with scattered holiday resorts.

On 4/27/2018 at 12:34 PM, gaff said:

Khopai market is also where idiots cops check innocent people urine at night, even if they obviously do not take drug, but it's a way to make easy money....

Avoid this SOI at all price !

Only time I had the misfortune to visit there was about ten years ago to collect my bike from a police impound. 

Archived