Bravecto or Nexguard

I've been caring for a neglected temple dog and now she is healthy and happy, but she is having a problem with mange.

My vet treated her with ivermectin and it seemed to work well, but it's been a month and the mange is back.

After a lot of research, I think the best thing is to try Bravecto or Nexguard. I'm just not sure which to use. They both sound good but I worry about the large dose in Bravecto. Instead of giving Bravecto every 3 months, perhaps it would be better to give Nexguard, with a smaller dose of the drug, every month.

The dog is 7 months old and about 45-50 pounds.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Unfortunately I can't help on this topic re. mange, although I gather Bravecto helps treat mange.

One of my dogs has skin problems (but not mange), and so I switched back to Bravecto 3 months ago in the hope that it would help.  It hasn't, and like the OP - I worried about the '3 month dose' being even more harmful than the Nexguard '1 month dose'.  Additionally, the local vets stopped supplying Heartguard as they switched to Nexguard, which (unlike Bravecto) protects against heart worms.

14 hours ago, Arjen said:

Very good you take care for a temple dog! You will see he/she will be very gratefull! The love a dog can give is huge!

We use many different "medicines" against flees and ticks.

Our dogs can not leave our garden, and visiting dogs can not enter our garden. So nowadays we are so lucky we hardly do find ticks. We have one dog with a confirmed mange, and it seems very difficult to treat. We can control it by usage of Ivermectine. I have put this dog alos on Bravecto, but the results with Ivermectine are better.

We have one dog what always joins me when I go out. He is on Bravecto, and we have a few dogs with mild skin problems (according the vet can be caused by allergic response on flees or ticks) The dogs with the mild skin problems are also on Bravecto. To save some money I buy the Bravecto in the biggest size, and cut it in pieces according the weight from the dog. The price from Bravecto is done by pill, and the price is the same, not depending on the size. I pay 700 Baht for one pill.

When it is for the treatment of the mange, I should advise you to use Ivermectine. It is also in an oral version available. And it is a good treatment against flees and ticks, and it protects against Heartworm.

We buy Ivermectine for injection in big bottles, and I inject our dogs myself. More because practical reasons then to safe money. It is hardly impossible to visit with all our dogs every month the veternarian for injections, and doig it myself does  reduce the stress in the dogs a lot.

Good luck!

Arjen.

there you have it,take note keep going to your local vets,that is very good advice.

I myself after much searching it is difficult to treat.

but the love you will get,outwheighs the cost. 

• Thanks 1

I went to the Khon Kaen University Animal Hospital today and got some Nexguard. The pet store there has everything.

I gave the dog the first dose and am watching her closely, hoping there are no bad reactions.

I know the ivermectin works well and it cleared her up in about a month. The vet said she was all set, but I asked for one more dose to be sure. Wednesday, I noticed it was back, and yesterday and today, I can see it is spreading. This is a shame as the mange appeared to be gone for a month or more.

I was reading one website that said ivermectin is great, but the mange will return when the medicine is stopped. If she tolerates the nexguard and it clears up the mange, I will keep her on it.

Mange is one of those things, depending what type of mange it is of course. Some dogs a simple diet change will cure it,  some dogs immune system finally kicks in and kicks it off, some dogs spot on treatment will help, some ivermection and of course the newer drugs.  

One of my dogs had demodectic mange in her first year of life, but it was quite tough to kill. I later found out that her siblings were even shaved and dipped and it still didn't kill it. We tried ivermectin and it did absolutely nothing. Shampooing did absolutely nothing. Doxy helped dry out the sores, but didn't do much else, and of course we tried all the natural immune strengthening diets, which also didn't help. 

In the end I got sick of the constant ivermection/spot on/doxy and researched what would help. I found Bravecto. Got my dad to send it over (before my province sold it) and it killed the mange within a month and it never returned. The vet I went to at the time looked at skin samples under the microscope and was amazed to the point he now stocks it purely as a mange treatment (not the best vet in the world as I found out as he was asking me about dosages of different drugs). 

NexGard, my dog has tried once (when our other vet was out of stock for Bravecto). The dog reacted enough for the vet to feel it necessarily to report the side effects to the company. Lack of energy being the main side effect. From memory, also slight twitching. I will never use NexGard again for that dog.

Try both (at different times of course), some dogs do excellent on Bravecto, some don't. Same with NexGard. Just watch the dog very closely. Both I would think are equally as effective treating mange, just depends on which one the dog can handle. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4394402/

Edited by wildewillie89

17 minutes ago, Arjen said:

Sorry to steal this subject.

@wildewillie89 What was the kind of mange your dog had? Ours has Dermodex, and it is famous for being very difficult to treat. But the results with Ivermectine are better then with Bravecto....

Arjen.

Dermodex also. That is why I said mange is one of those things. I have seen dogs that spot ons will cure it. I have seen dogs that a simple diet change cures it. Ours, nothing worked until we tried Bravecto. 

Which is why I posted the study. As Bravecto has been proven to work. NexGard also. Although, they were funded by the Merial.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4807374/

Edited by wildewillie89

It has probably been 18 months since I researched it, but from memory my understanding of it is that every single dog in the world has the mites. However, depending on the immune system will depend of if they develop into localised or generalised mange or the body keeps the mites under control. That is why it is big in puppies as the immune system hasn't kicked in yet. Once the dog is cleared of mange, usually the immune response from the dog is strong enough for it never to return again. However, your odd dog has genetic downfalls that compromise its immune system so will continue with it and get re-infected. That is why breeding is not recommended for any dog that ends up with any sort of mange, regardless if it is treatable or not. 

If the dog was healthy during puppy hood and then gets it as an adult, then that is problematic. That means a sudden weakness it its immune system - so basically the dog has some sort of disease. This could be anything from cancer, immune disorders or reactions to medications. So rather than focusing on the mites, the vet should be looking for the potential underlying cause of why it has appeared. 

On 19/04/2018 at 4:47 PM, Arjen said:

It is hardly impossible to visit with all our dogs every month the veternarian for injections, and doig it myself does  reduce the stress in the dogs a lot.

Nothing wrong with doing a lot of injections yourself, but I'd suggest asking your vet if they will do a house call for simple treatments like that.

Here in KKC there are several vets that are happy to do house calls.

Terry

36 minutes ago, Arjen said:

in my language we call it also "puppy scabies"

I think it is slightly different in English. We call Demodectic 'puppy mange'. Scabies usually refers to sarcoptic mange from memory. 

Ah, the dog must be in the minority with the genetic factors that don't allow it to build up an immune response. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to report on the temple dog I mentioned in the op.

Last week, she got her second dose of Nexguard. She is tolerating it well, no side effects at all. And, her skin has cleared up completely. You would never know this dog ever had mange. I know it's still early, but so far I'm very pleased with the results.

This dog had a rough start in life, so it's great to see her healthy and happy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zlodnick said:

I just want to report on the temple dog I mentioned in the op.

Last week, she got her second dose of Nexguard. She is tolerating it well, no side effects at all. And, her skin has cleared up completely. You would never know this dog ever had mange. I know it's still early, but so far I'm very pleased with the results.

This dog had a rough start in life, so it's great to see her healthy and happy.

plus me aswell.

Ecto-Tak,  bought through Lazada is the best bet,4ml to 1 litre, I throw it over the soi dogs especially mange,hair loss   Red mange easy to control  black takes an age,  good on ticks,fleas etc, Bathe mine off twice a week,leave it on to dry   ticks sure hate the stuff