recommend a dog flea pest exterminator

properjob

For years we have been able to control fleas and ticks using Frontline - no problems. But for some reason starting late last year it wasn't doing any good. We used it more often thinking it would work better and needed maybe a double dose at certain stage of lifecycle, but we were completely defeated. Either they are building up a resistance to it or there is fake/diluted medication doing the rounds.

So we switched to the chewy tablets that are supposedly good for 12 weeks . So far it seems to work, the ticks died completely in 2 days. No fleas either. I don't like over medicating dogs but without this the ticks and fleas are completely out of control!

• Like 1

Every year or so I go to India,myself,for medical check-ups,but also dog medication,they seem ahead of the game. I buy Ridd,can buy it here under diff name(forget it) but I buy neem oil  mix it with conditioner and soap them down with that,can get mix details on the net

2 minutes ago, cmsally said:

For years we have been able to control fleas and ticks using Frontline - no problems. But for some reason starting late last year it wasn't doing any good. We used it more often thinking it would work better and needed maybe a double dose at certain stage of lifecycle, but we were completely defeated. Either they are building up a resistance to it or there is fake/diluted medication doing the rounds.

So we switched to the chewy tablets that are supposedly good for 12 weeks . So far it seems to work, the ticks died completely in 2 days. No fleas either. I don't like over medicating dogs but without this the ticks and fleas are completely out of control!

Think it will be Ivermectin,vet suggested vaccination better  I do that too,  but every day for 4 to 5 days,bit much Id say

• Like 1

1 hour ago, properjob said:

Thanks for the help. Do you have a name for the chewy tablets?

Good job I kept the box !

Its Bravecto - says made in Austria but I bought in CM near the university.

One chewy tablet is supposed to do the trick for 12 weeks. A bit pricey @ 800 Bt

but if it lasts that long will be cheaper than the Frontline we were using!

• Like 1

Use Borax, non-toxic 100% effective.
https://www.fleabites.net/how-to-use-borax-to-kill-fleas-safely/

Borax is known to be highly effective in killing fleas. It is odorless and is available readily in powdered form. It is non toxic to human skin but when fleas come in contact with it, they get severely dehydrated. Additionally, the razor sharp crystalline structure of the powder at its microscopic level also shreds the fleas’ innards, making it highly effective in killing flea larvae and adult fleas as well.

Borax is naturally derived from Boron and is a lot less toxic than many of the harmful chemical products available for flea control.

Sent from my Honor 7x using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cmsally said:

Good job I kept the box !

Its Bravecto - says made in Austria but I bought in CM near the university.

One chewy tablet is supposed to do the trick for 12 weeks. A bit pricey @ 800 Bt

but if it lasts that long will be cheaper than the Frontline we were using!

Can buy it through Lazada   sounds OK  never heard of it or thought nothing of it,as most ,or all do not work, but Ill give this a go ,but Ill buy it generic  from India.  Used to buy Bayticol  900 baht here  there 100 baht

On 19/04/2018 at 3:03 PM, altcar bob said:

Can buy it through Lazada   sounds OK  never heard of it or thought nothing of it,as most ,or all do not work, but Ill give this a go ,but Ill buy it generic  from India.  Used to buy Bayticol  900 baht here  there 100 baht

Let everybody know what you find please, particularly id there is a web page.

A genetic version of the chewy tablet would be a godsend to both owners and rescue operations.

Edited by Saraphee

34 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

We get the vet to give our dog a shot.   He was riddled with fleas and a few ticks when we got him as a pup.  He gets a shot roughly every six months and we dont have any problems at all now. 

Like to know a shot of what?    prob Ivermectin,it can be taken through injection or in food,just dose a meatball or whatever 1 ml per 10 kg weight,think your dog is lucky some dogs do not attract

Ecto Tak have a web page   advert 100 mil at 235 baht,now that is cheap.   Just experimented with Barings and Ecto  (have few mutts)  barings hardly dead, Ecto all dead and dying,says 2 ml  but up to 4 for mange,its good stuff,try it...prob go to 3 mil per 1 litre      I do use it on soi mutts in stronger doses,make bottle up and throw it on them,takes about 9  days or so for hair to come back with a vengeance,it kills the mites just under the skin

1 hour ago, altcar bob said:

Like to know a shot of what?    prob Ivermectin,it can be taken through injection or in food,just dose a meatball or whatever 1 ml per 10 kg weight,think your dog is lucky some dogs do not attract

I dont know otherwise I would have put it in my post.   I checked his vaccination book but it doesnt show what only that he has had two shots in approx 12 months and it is for external and internal parasites including heartworm.  I suggest seeing a good vet.

No he is not so lucky and certainly does attract as my post stated he was riddled with fleas and and a few ticks when we got him.  We also returned from holiday one time to find him very sick with mange which is what sent us to the vet for this shot.  

Edited by ThaiFelix

Just now, ThaiFelix said:

I dont know otherwise I would have put it in my post.   I checked his vaccination book but it doesnt show what only that he has had two shots in approx 12 months and it is for external and internal parasites including heartworm.  I suggest seeing a good vet.

Ivermectin,,,buy it in liquid or pill form,,i inject it into meatball at times,think pill form in Thailand is 8%

Edited by altcar bob

On 4/19/2018 at 12:26 PM, properjob said:

Thanks for the help. Do you have a name for the chewy tablets?

It`s no use using Frontline, or chewy tablets on dogs or fumigating the house unless first getting to the source of the problem. I would not recommend using chemical insect killers in the garden as they will most likely poison your dogs.

First, cut down any grass and weeds in the garden and keep it that way. Fleas and ticks love long vegetation where they wait and will jump onto a host such as cats or dogs when these animals enter the area.

Next treat your dogs with Frontline, do not over dose as this stuff can be lethal and is actually a poison,  but do ensure that the Frontline is the correct dosage as per weight of dog.

Then wash out any bedding or mats used by the dogs. After that especially during the hot season, bath or shower your dogs with dog shampoo at least once a week. Do not use flea and tick dog shampoos, powders or flea collars as these too can poison your dogs.

Do all this and that should solve the problem.

8 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

It`s no use using Frontline, or chewy tablets on dogs or fumigating the house unless first getting to the source of the problem. I would not recommend using chemical insect killers in the garden as they will most likely poison your dogs.

First, cut down any grass and weeds in the garden and keep it that way. Fleas and ticks love long vegetation where they wait and will jump onto a host such as cats or dogs when these animals enter the area.

Dogs need exercise,that is where problems are,house ,yard free, back from a walk covered in them,just a case of killing as they show,but that Ecto Tak  makes things easier  make a mix hand held sprayer quick squirt around the neck and into feet solves it,just remains brushed out later in day.  Never liked pills,injections to solve it, the liver will get a battering,and as 6 month injecting keeping fleas /ticks at bay is laughable,was monthly routine ivermectin,but by before week 3 was up,    re-infection.Vets here are only after money,only one have I come across that has been any good and he is charity vet....I'm out of Indian products until next visit,so at least this thread reminded me that I could obtain Amitraz with whatever trade name they use,thanks for that    Looks as if the chewy tablets share the same formulae as Bayticol,and that's a pour-on ,a lot distrusted by quite a few ,and I have bottles of it bought elsewhere,but Ill try that as shampoo too    cheers

On 4/19/2018 at 12:17 PM, cmsally said:

We don't think Frontline works at all. It must be a marketing scam. I mentioned this to the vet and he also said Frontline doesn't do anything. Revolution does work however. And also the vet said he uses it on his pets.

That would explain why it is so often out of stock yet shops have tons of Frontline! Sometimes we use the Thai brand (supposedly the same chemical) but the last time the animals had a poor reaction to it. Would not use it again!

Edited by elektrified

Need to get rid of the fleas in the house garden etc also, but for ongoing protection Bravecto does seem to work well and although the seller may tell you differently a half tablet for small dogs also works effective about 3 months.