Vacation trip ideas for Phuket, Krabi and S.E Islands

russianrobert

Hi,

i’ve friend who’s planning about 17 days in the Phuket, Krabi and Islands area in January 2019. He has a young son 5 y.o and his wife, Europeans. They have a good budget for resort accommodation.

They were thinking about Phuket and Phi but ages since i’ve been to either. I didn’t think Patong was suitable for a family, is that still the case? They could stay at Karon or Kata Beach is there much to do in the evening there? (without all the girly bars, obviously) What about Phi Phi? Last time I was there (10 years ago) it just seemed like Spring Break! Perhaps I missed the good bits?

Also, they like boats, can anyone recommend island cruises for a few nights to a week in the area?

thanks for any help

• Like 1

Hi,
i’ve friend who’s planning about 17 days in the Phuket, Krabi and Islands area in January 2019. He has a young son 5 y.o and his wife, Europeans. They have a good budget for resort accommodation.
They were thinking about Phuket and Phi but ages since i’ve been to either. I didn’t think Patong was suitable for a family, is that still the case? They could stay at Karon or Kata Beach is there much to do in the evening there? (without all the girly bars, obviously) What about Phi Phi? Last time I was there (10 years ago) it just seemed like Spring Break! Perhaps I missed the good bits?

Also, they like boats, can anyone recommend island cruises for a few nights to a week in the area?

thanks for any help

I don’t think that Patong would be too damaging for a 5 yo child. Just stay at a nice 4-5 hotel and avoid BangLa road.

If they have money, it’s easy to charter a captained boat at Boat / Royal Lagoon or Ao Por Marinas. Then they will have the boat to themselves and can pace the boat trip according to their will.

If you like a few quiet days: Ko Jum in Krabi.

If you like a few extremely quiet days and a clean beach, clear waters and coral within swimming distance: Ko Ngai, also in Krabi but to be reached from the Pak Meng jetty in Trang.

The sea in Ao Nang is NOT clean!

Edited by aonangkrabi
I forgot to mention Ao Nang

They could skip Phuket altogether and stay at the high end resorts at Koh Yao islands. Nice and quiet places, which are great getaways when the life becomes too hectic in Phuket. 

For family I would suggest Koh Phangan staying in either haad yao for quiet and nice, seethanu beach for simple bungalows with a nice sunset or tong nai pai yai or noi for a more secluded spot.  Its always a nice island to drive around and get lost.  

On 4/19/2018 at 11:11 AM, russianrobert said:

He has a young son 5 y.o and his wife, Europeans.

I would not consider Phi Phi and Karon Beach as child-family friendly areas. However there are numerous larger resorts on Phuket that provides well for a family inside the walls, and organised touring to family friendly attractions when going outside.

Another possibility is looking at the two islands at the other side of the mainland, they are becoming family destinations – however apart from Haad Rin on Koh Phangan (Full Moon and other parties).

Also Krabi area, and around Khao Lak, could be possibilities to look at.

:smile:

Recently I stayed at the Sofitel in Krabi, which was about 20 minutes from Ao Nang. I have 2 daughters 2 and 4 years old. There was loads of different activities for the children, and many different places to visit. The family rooms were also very big which is great with young children. Overall an excellent holiday.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, krabi local said:

Phi Phi is an expensive nightmare.

Kata and Karon are ok.

I would suggest a mixture of Ao Nang and Koh Lanta.

Endorse this ,maybe except for Ao Nang-busy ,noisy and no good beaches nearby. Ko Lanta would be top of my list for beaches and a more laid back atmosphere but rather lacking in the more 'vibrant' bars scene but plenty of decent restaurants. A couple of really good speedboat trips (4 islands) and snorkeling trips to Ko rok,Ko ha. Relatively easy transfer by shared minibus for 400 baht from Krabi airport.