Admission Fee to visit temple/wat for farang

andre47

First time I saw in two wat's in South Thailand that foreigner's have to pay a admission fee to entrance a wat.

I was shocked, but when I see how some foreigners are behaving (waste, selfies and even graffiti) I can understand that the administration of the wat need some compensation to keep everything in order. Many Thai people make tambun but there are only a few farang who donate freely some money.

IMG_2040.JPG

10 minutes ago, Emster23 said:

Is there also an admission fee sign in Thai script?

No, Thai nationals don't have to pay.

I am against discrimination, but as I mentioned already Thai people donate a lot for the wat. Many Farang don't do this. And what is more important....Thai people treat the wat with more respect than a lot of farang do. I saw many graffiti in some wats. This is very disrespectful. I think since the hordes of Chinese are coming here they changed their policy.

But I saw this admission fee in two wat's only.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thongkorn said:

Don’t pay you don’t have to. According to Buddist teachings they cannot ask for anything.

Ever tried this at one of the temples in BKK or Ayutthaya where they request an entrance fee?

Hmmmm, Why not make a charge?

It's done in other countries.

As an example, there is an admittance fee of €5 (almost 200 BHT) for the Cathedral's in Almeria and Granada - Spain.

They do include an audio guide though and children under 12 are free.

Every visitor pays, tourist and locals!

Strewth, only 20 Baht (about €0.50)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, andre47 said:

No, Thai nationals don't have to pay.

I am against discrimination, but as I mentioned already Thai people donate a lot for the wat. Many Farang don't do this. And what is more important....Thai people treat the wat with more respect than a lot of farang do. I saw many graffiti in some wats. This is very disrespectful. I think since the hordes of Chinese are coming here they changed their policy.

But I saw this admission fee in two wat's only.

If farangs have become so much of a problem, why keep the Wat open to farang tourists?  Close it to preserve it, and keep it only for the noble Thais who do "Tambun" for this Wat, and Thais who "respect" it.    

Maybe you should share your insight with those noble Thais charging 20 Baht a head.  I'm sure they'll be happy to heed it.  Right?  LOL!

A large number of off topic posts have been removed.

This topic is not about National parks or the White House in the US.

It is aboutAdmission Fee to visit temple/wat for farang ".

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion

Nothing like donating money to a palace of stupidity, hey we can build an even bigger shinier one now, more concrete more  steel, oh  yes, way to go, why not stop throwing money at useless nonsense and spend tha on hospitals..................nah too  crazy of me eh

• Like 2