Doctors claim paraquat is safe for farm use

webfact

13 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

In the so called developed world we discover some commonly used materials are harmful to us, so we ban them or regulate the use. Great but does it stop there? No we bundle up the formulas and the plant equipment that produces the damn stuff and sell it to some poor developing nation so they can poison their people and environment!

Unbeleivable.

...but true :saai:

5 hours ago, Ron19 said:

i have noted that you have recognized that it is hazardous nasty stuff and should be restricted but not banned. I'm surprised you say that. If the above is the case, why is it still available for general sale in every mother and father shop country wide in Thailand with no restrictions.

Because I am not personally in charge of pesticide regulation and enforcement.  If I were, it would be restricted exactly as I have described.

You need to remember where you are - this is a country that allows its citizens to buy antibiotics without a prescription.  You can walk into school supply shops and buy 18 molar (the highest possible concentration) sulfuric acid without any questions.  I couldn't believe they didn't even ask me for a school ID when I bought it.  Bleach and ammonia are both available, the combination of which can kill a house full of people when mixed.

At some point you just have to trust that people aren't buying a hazardous chemical so that they can go home and soak in it.  I note that the bottle is pretty clearly emblazoned with hazard symbols, so presumably a buyer should know what they are getting themselves into.

5ae1cc5c65374_paraquatonlazada.PNG.4f870d344dfb46cc40f03f07f6b2bced.PNG

5 hours ago, Ron19 said:

Don't you think there are enough points in the [OP] to warrant action to at least ban it's availability in such an easy manner as it is now.

Its availability should be restricted regardless of the OP.  That is what I mean when I say "restricted to licensed, professional pesticide applicators".  Some of the things said in the OP but those "doctors" is just bizarre.  Clearly they have never used any kind of sprayer if they can't imagine how the mist can blow back onto you. 

I think what the doctors in the OP are trying to say is that, if I want to clear my field of stubborn weeds or overgrowth, paraquat is one of the tools that should be available to me so long as I am willing to accept the personal risk that comes with using it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ron19 said:

Thanks for posting the link. I notice it says:

"The currently existing licenses of the two pesticides will run out in 2019 and cannot be renewed again. As a result, from 2019 onwards, paraquat and chlorpyrifos will be prohibited to use in Thailand."

• Like 1