ASH Thailand stresses on smoking control measures

webfact

ASH Thailand stresses on smoking control measures

PNSOC610430001008501.jpg

PHUKET, 1 MAY 2018 (NNT) – ASH Thailand stressed on the importance of smoking control measures to discourage new smokers, help those who wish to quit smoking and protect non-smokers. 

Action on Smoking and Health Foundation (ASH Thailand) President Prakit Vathesatogkit gave a lecture on why Thailand needs to control smoking in a workshop in Phuket with regards to the Tobacco Products Control Act B.E. 2560. 

He said efforts to control smoking started with the introduction of the Tobacco Control Act B.E. 2509, the Non-Smokers' Health Protection Act B.E. 2535, the raise of tobacco tax, the display of warning texts on cartons, Thailand's participation in the World Health Organization Framework Convention on Tobacco Control, and the new Tobacco Products Control Act B.E. 2560 which was promulgated last year. 

The ASH Thailand president highlighted the number of smokers in Thailand which reduced by 20 percent according to a 2014 survey. The number of smokers reduced by 40 percent in the northeastern region, by 43 percent in the northern region, by 13 percent in the southern region, by 37 percent in the central region, and by 29 percent in Bangkok. The overall number of smokers in Thailand currently accounts for 20 percent of the population. 

ASH Thailand is committed to further campaign for the reduction in the consumption of tobacco products in accordance with the new Tobacco Products Control Act B.E. 2560.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-05-01

2 hours ago, Anak Nakal said:

Smoking is stupid.

Make not legal! 

If there is a demand, there will always be a supply. Your suggestion, if enacted, would simply create a black market for unregulated tobacco where criminals would be the only people who profited.

Now what *would* work in reducing harm is if vaping and other, less harmful methods of delivering nicotine were regulated, encouraged and of course taxed.

Edited by Davedub
formatting

"ASH Thailand stressed on the importance of smoking control measures to discourage new smokers, help those who wish to quit smoking and protect non-smokers."

How about increasing the fine to 5,000 THB and not be enforced, and put up twice as many signs that will be ignored? 

2 hours ago, Danny Crane said:

And all this while the rest of the world legalises e-cigarettes. Wake up Thailand and smell the steam (vapour).

I went back on to smoking when I couldnt vape anymore...

• Thanks 1

I tried to quit smoking about 10 times unsuccessfully. After being introduced to vaping it was easiest way to quit smoking. I'm sure there is still a little bit damage but from everything I read it is a 95% reduction of all of the pollutants and chemicals that I would normally put in my lungs with regular cigarettes. Thailand please care about your population instead of your tobacco Monopoly profits

Edited by lubfishin
  • Like 1

What  should  be   done  first is  to  eliminate  the  contaminated  tobacco  product from  local  sale.

That in  conjunction  with the  removal of  food  product  containing   well  recognised  carcinogens  at  extreme  levels, removal of  asbestos  from  construction materials,  cessation in the  addition of  lethal carcinogenic octane  boosters to  petrol, enforcement  of   air  particle pollutants  from  industry an  construction, etc  etec  etc !

" Clean " tobacco  has  less social  populace damage impact  than any  of  the  others. 

Vaping is a vast  improvement .

I would  be the  last  to defend  or recommend the inhalation  of  tobacco smoke. But I   know  the   mis/dis information relative  to reality is  disproportionate when compared  to  the  much  greater  damage  being  done  via approved environmental/ food product. So  why  so  much  international pointing? 

And  for  the  sanctimonious  ex   smokers.....still   not   easy   huh ?  lol. So get   the head  out  of  .....!

Edited by Dumbastheycome
Defensive anticipation.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Where do they get this statistics. On my latest travel up north in the mountains everything on two feet is smoking cheap Burmese tobacco rolled in banana leaves. ASH is abbreviation for a..holes.

Introduce vaping to the nation and tell them that this is the latest achievement of modern technology that will save millions of lives and precious Thai Bahts.

• Like 1