Bangkok’s ‘garbage cages’ a proven success, Aswin insists

webfact

Bangkok’s ‘garbage cages’ a proven success, Aswin insists

By The Nation

53ac61b93afc91cc8325a4bf5d38c885-sld.jpe

Photo Courtesy of facebook.com/aswinkwanmuang/

Bangkok Governor Pol General Aswin Kwanmuang has defended the “garbage cages” being tested on some city sidewalks as being a success in other countries.

Photos of the square metal-grate contrivances circulating on social media drew criticism. Citizens are concerned about hygiene, given the potential for spills of rancid, germ-ridden wastewater, and possible inconvenience to pedestrians.

But Aswin insisted in a Facebook post that the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration pilot project involved a garbage-collection system that has been a success in Japan, France and elsewhere and costs very little.

In the project – dubbed “Ting Pen Tee, Kep Pen Wela” (Dispose garbage at the right place, to be collected as per time schedule) – people must drop their tied-up garbage bags in the cages within a specific time period for collection.

Should the garbage not be collected within the appointed time, citizens can call a designated phone number to report it.

Aswin pointed out that the cages are made of reused materials and thus low in cost. They can be configured in different shapes to suit the character of any given neighbourhood.

He called them a solution to littering and animals rummaging through trash and, because the garbage is collected according to a strict schedule, it wouldn’t pile up.

Aswin said the city would also, among other measures, encourage people to separate different kinds of waste and to stop dumping trash in canals and rivers.

If the public disapproved of any aspect of “Tin Pen Tee”, he added, adjustments could be made.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30344529

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-05-03

I remember something similar in Shetland. The residents co-operated by bagging everthing, but, the council initially neglected to put a roof on the 2.5 m high cages. The local gull population loved them.

Edited by Maybole
Spelling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

Here we go again one experience gives you the license to insult all thais.

At our house in bang su I see no such issues so I say they are a very diligent population.

My opinion is as valid as yours

Congrats. I'll stand by my statement. The concept works fine if used correctly. I actually never mentioned Thais specifically, hence wasnt bashing Thais. The system wont work if situated in an area where people dont care or dont think its their problem to manage. Glad to hear you like your neighbours.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Aswin pointed out that the cages are made of reused materials and thus low in cost. They can be configured in different shapes to suit the character of any given neighbourhood.

They look like old Tesco trolleys to me, but can be made to suit the charachter of the neighbourhood. I live near a paddy field, so will it be painted green with yellow grains on top. lol

Bangkok’s ‘garbage cages’ a proven success, Bangkok governor insists

By THE NATION

9967cf227259104f997d1f80c4e4c0ba.jpeg

BANGKOK GOVERNOR Pol General Aswin Kwanmuang has defended the “garbage cages” being tested on some city sidewalks as being a success in other countries.

Photos of the square metal-grate contrivances circulating on social media drew criticism.

Citizens are concerned about hygiene, given the potential for spills of rancid, germ-ridden wastewater, and possible inconvenience to pedestrians.

But Aswin insisted in a Facebook post that the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) pilot project involved a garbage-collection system that has been a success in Japan, France and elsewhere and costs very little.

f11f18feb3b084020d265f641878c12d.jpeg

In the project – dubbed “Ting Pen Tee, Kep Pen Wela” (Dispose garbage at the right place, to be collected as per time schedule) – people must drop their tied-up garbage bags in the cages within a specific time period for collection.

Should the garbage not be collected within the appointed time, citizens can call a designated phone number to report it.

Aswin pointed out that the cages are made of reused materials and thus low in cost.

They can be configured in different shapes to suit the character of any given neighbourhood.

He called them a solution to littering and animals rummaging through trash and, because the garbage is collected according to a strict schedule, it wouldn’t pile up.

Aswin said the city would also, among other measures, encourage people to separate different kinds of waste and to stop dumping trash in canals and rivers.

If the public disapproved of any aspect of “Ting Pen Tee”, he added, adjustments could be made.

The Thai capital, which celebrated its 236th anniversary on April 21, has encountered many problems amid rapid urban development – especially the issue of garbage management.

According to the BMA Environment Office, Bangkok City generated 1,920,294.96 tonnes of garbage from October 1, 2017 to March 31, 2018 – or a daily average of 10,551 tonnes. Among its 50 districts, Chatuchak churned out the largest amount of rubbish, at 76,881.90 tonnes over the six-month period, followed by Bang Kapi at 60,942.61 tonnes and Bang Khun Thien at 60,570.05 tonnes.

The city’s goal of reducing garbage by 7 per cent a year will be difficult to achieve, admitted BMA Environment Office deputy director Chatree Wattanakhajorn. Most people are not yet cooperating with the BMA on reducing their waste, he said, while the city’s population also continued to increase.

Several government schemes are also driving waste higher, he said, including Bangkok being declared the world’s tourist city and the street-food promotion scheme. The city’s international reputation has attracted more visitors, who in turn contribute to the rise in trash, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30344556

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-05-04

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Bangkok Governor Pol General Aswin Kwanmuang has defended the “garbage cages” being tested on some city sidewalks as being a success in other countries.

Never seen them in Toronto, and never seen them in any country that I have visited, except Malaysia (and those are not on the sidewalks but on the side of roads and things must be thrown in over the top, but we did start the BLUE BOX SYSTEM which received many awards.  Also, we do have plastic disposable containers that are totally enclosed and divided into three sections; 1 for recyclables, 1 for pure garbage, and 1 for other stuff, each with its own small door through which to deposit the things.  The deposits are removed on a fairly regular basis and, unlike around Thai garbage bins, when it is possible to locate them, they are clean because we care about our environment and health.

Edited by wotsdermatter
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, YetAnother said:

must this, must that, thais won't do it, won't see any value in it

There is one of the green cages outside a restaurant I frequent and it stinks badly.

people walk by and toss all manor of unbagged garbage into it. The sidewalk is stained and trash blows out of it into the surrounding area.

• Sad 1