Video: Fake Thai smile exposed! Irony reigns as "copycat" videos take the Mickey!

webfact

what an utter crock.

one woman struggles to retain the perfect smile while handing out nonsense to potentially unleasant tourists and she becomes the emblem for an entire culture.

the thai smile can mean a multiplicity of things, this is just another blatant attempt by thaivisa editorial staff to come up with a subject header that panders to the inherent bigotry of its readership.

meanwhile the good citizens of thaivisa come out in defense of a man in chaing rai caught at the very least pandering to sex tourists who wish to bang a border girl, as the topic is meticulously sanitized of any critical opinions.

lovely community this.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, stanleycoin said:

What !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I retired 4 years ago. 

Ps, Today is Wednesday, its blue pill today,  not the yellow one. :stoner:

I was referring to the 2 girls in the video. Did you mean red pill?

Edited by KiwiKiwi

56 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Smiling 10,000 times for Chinese tour busses she should get an award. Nobody likes boat load after boat load. Especially a Chinese boat load. 

Looked like both girls have 2 legs. Nothing obvious stopping them from walking away

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Get Real said:

I would like to see you standing there, giving a natural and genuine smile to everybody that goes on that bus. Instead of complaining and bashing this woman, put yourself in her shoes for a day.
I guess it was not so funny now, right?

Yes.........We all know thai smiles are fake but you are right ,the young girl is just doing her best....

I think this is the consensus of the thread

The real fake smile is the employer who expects his/her 'servants' to run through endless mindless hoops to keep a dead-end job. Happens most of the time! To be fair, it happens everywhere with a gig economy mentality. ..... It happens everywhere.

Just now, Mexlark said:

The real fake smile is the employer who expects his/her 'servants' to run through endless mindless hoops to keep a dead-end job. Happens most of the time! To be fair, it happens everywhere with a gig economy mentality. ..... It happens everywhere.

Yes.

Give the girl a damn break.

I hated staring at the useless,belligerent,ignorant,discourteous, General Public for 33 years-and that was not in Thailand.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nasrullah said:

Yes.........We all know thai smiles are fake but you are right ,the young girl is just doing her best....

I think this is the consensus of the thread

You know that thai smiles are fake, just because you choose to generalize and put all in the same box. If you can´t see the differens, then I just feel sorry for you.

4 hours ago, tukkytuktuk said:

Much prefer the Thai Culture of smiling than the Chinese Culture of spitting.

At least you know where you stand on spitting! I've been trying to suss out the 'Thai smile" for years; no joy so far.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HooHaa said:

what an utter crock.

one woman struggles to retain the perfect smile while handing out nonsense to potentially unleasant tourists and she becomes the emblem for an entire culture.

the thai smile can mean a multiplicity of things, this is just another blatant attempt by thaivisa editorial staff to come up with a subject header that panders to the inherent bigotry of its readership.

meanwhile the good citizens of thaivisa come out in defense of a man in chaing rai caught at the very least pandering to sex tourists who wish to bang a border girl, as the topic is meticulously sanitized of any critical opinions.

lovely community this.

Bye then... shut the door behind you...

Oh dear, this has got me thinking.

I hope this is just a Thai thing.

It would be horrible to think that the shop assistants in the UK, who tell me to "enjoy the rest of your day", are also insincere.

I was becoming so fond of that nice girl who said it to me twice in the space of 2 minutes, after I returned swiftly to the shop to buy something that I had forgotten on the first visit.

Edited by Enoon
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Eligius said:

Yes, you are right; but the video happens to coincide with something real and daily which all of us who have lived here long enough recognise: the fake Thai smile, which vanishes as soon as you turn away from it (if you instantly turn back to the smiling person, you will see that the beaming, full smile on the face of the Thai has miraculously vanished). This was one of the first little bits of 'culture shock' I got when I came to Thailand: how people can seem to smile from their heart, really deeply and with genuine friendliness - only to discover that (often - not always, of course) it is a complete act and is not accompanied by any corresponding inner feeling. I've even seen parents teaching their little tots the fake Thai smile. It seems that for Thais, a 'smile' is nothing more than a handshake - a mere brief and not to be sustained gesture (sustained only until the smiled-at person has looked away!). A genuine smile, in contast, lingers and fades away slowly (not in a nano-second!).

Total rubbish.

The OP video has emphasised Thai people that are smiling while working in the hospitality business, and the smile is all about business in those cases. I used to work in shops in Britain and had to appear welcoming with a friendly face towards the customers, because I wanted them to spend their money. No one would spend money with businesses that have in-different staff. But most know that I couldn`t give a rat`s if a customer was run over by a truck or died in a nuclear holocaust later on.

The Thai smile is a cultural thing, is just a display of acknowledgement, a form of a quick, HI, a politeness and that`s all there is behind these smiles. It`s also a way of breaking the ice with strangers and creating a friendly atmosphere. That`s all there is to this and rarely goes deeper than that. 

Life is an act on a big stage. Look too deeply into anything, and you`ll going to be disappointed.

Edited by cyberfarang
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

What is a Thai smile?

When you see a Thai speaking, watch how they stretch the lips left and right, up and down, until the teeth and tongue are exposed like snarl or a grimace.It's meant to appear to be a smile, as if they're always happy and content.

Then look at the smile lines (skin folds) emanating from the corner of the mouth If they go upwards nd back towards the ears, then the facial muscles are engaged and the smile is probably genuine. If not then it probably isn't.

Then look at the eyes. If lines radiate out from the outside corners then the facial muscles are engaged and the smile is likely to be genuine, otherwise not.

Then wait until the smile fades. If the lips return to normal suddenly, then the smile is not genuine, you cannot turn off a genuine smile quickly. In the video, the smiles are clearly and without a doiubt not genuine.

There are at least 20 different types of smile in the Thai armoury. Most are not genuine, and range from a contemptuous smile to the condescending smile to the infamous 'kee-nok' smile. These take practice to discern and I'm frankly still learning, even though I've studied bosy language for years..

that'll be 200THB please, oops, been in Thailand too long.

Edited by KiwiKiwi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

What is a Thai smile?

What is a Thai smile? What most of us mean by the 'Thai smile' is a smile that is fake - it does not correspond to any inner feeling of pleasure or gladness, and thus disappears IMMEDIATELY when the other person looks away. 

For some people, life might be all an act on a stage - but some of us prefer to have GENUINE interactions with people, with GENUINE feelings and expressions of those feelings! When I smile at someone, my smile does NOT disappear in a nano-second the moment that person looks away from me. If I felt like that towards the person - I would not smile in the first place!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1