Video: Fake Thai smile exposed! Irony reigns as "copycat" videos take the Mickey!

webfact

6 minutes ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

Good one...but UK soaps follow real life whereas Thai life follows Thai soaps....hence the hair flicking (not herr flicking) eyes rolling, head twitching and multitudes of facial expressions you see ... or it could just be that the girls I see need a fix ....In which case I am totally wrong and out of my depth here..

No no. Ambition is a good thing, though perhaps your experience of Thai girls needing a fix isn't something you should shout from the rooftops. Sorry, just needling :smile::smile:

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Non sequitur but no matter. I'm off for a cup of tea now, is that OK or would you like to make another non-sequitur? There is time while I'm putting the milk in...

I misread your post, I thought you were suggesting that you might pay more attention than me, now I see that you actually said, now.  So, sorry.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Get Real said:

And that meaning what? 

Nothing at all, perfectly proper form of the word 'chose'. Don't mind me, it's close to my periods.

Edited by KiwiKiwi

Just now, Kieran00001 said:

If you see Thais walking past people without their heads bowed then you must be a in a different Thailand to me.

And me. The pavement or their phone. Thais cannot cope with being alone. Must be having contact with someone so they feel worthwhile, but not a stranger, and definitely not a foreigner because everyone knows they're all stupid and have 2 noses.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

I misread your post, I thought you were suggesting that you might pay more attention than me, now I see that you actually said, now.  So, sorry.

That's perfectly alright, please don't give it another thought, by and large I've enjoyed the exchange(s) so thank you. Ah yes, that cup of tea.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KiwiKiwi said:

And me. The pavement or their phone. Thais cannot cope with being alone. Must be having contact with someone so they feel worthwhile, but not a stranger, and definitely not a foreigner because everyone knows they're all stupid and have 2 noses.

In was referring to the respectful dipping of the head as they pass, often accompanied by a clearly not at all fake, awkward smile.

• Like 1

If you see Thais walking past people without their heads bowed then you must be a in a different Thailand to me.

You are right, it is common, it's a mechanism to avoid the attention of others. Stems from a lack of self confidence and a rare insight into how poor their education is.

• Like 1

Just now, KiwiKiwi said:

You are right, it is common, it's a mechanism to avoid the attention of others. Stems from a lack of self confidence and a rare insight into how poor their education is.

Its a remainder of the old feudal class system, in the olden days they would have been killed if they walked past someone of higher class with their nose in the air, just like the old days in Europe, where serfs had to kneel when gentry were passing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kieran00001 said:

In was referring to the respectful dipping of the head as they pass, often accompanied by a clearly not at all fake, awkward smile.

Respectful? The Thai device of lowering themselves when passing a pooyay is not respect, it's a throwback from the abject fear of former times. A pooyay is someone who can hurt you.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KiwiKiwi said:

No no. Ambition is a good thing, though perhaps your experience of Thai girls needing a fix isn't something you should shout from the rooftops. Sorry, just needling :smile::smile:

I should add "grunting" to the list too...so many meanings just by itself but as a permutation with the others on the list it is a staggering vocabulary of movements and sounds..

It has taken me 4 years to rid myself of it after a very long time living "in the village"...

Just now, Kieran00001 said:

Its a remainder of the old feudal class system, in the olden days they would have been killed if they walked past someone of higher class with their nose in the air, just like the old days in Europe, where serfs had to kneel when gentry were passing.

And Japan. Bushido.

Smiling a real smile at a stranger? Don't know about the places you go, but if you are a foreigner than what you get is probably a disdainful or kee-nok smile.

1 minute ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Nonsense.

The Thai will give you a smile whereas their Western counterparts will not.

Which stems from the fact,one supposes,that the only thing that really sustains their societies are-alcohol,illicit and legal drugs,anti-depressants,psychiatrists,social workers and legions of other support workers along with its concomitant psychological basis of 'schadenfreude'-and nothing much else.

Give the Thai girl a break

1 minute ago, Odysseus123 said:

Nonsense.

The Thai will give you a smile whereas their Western counterparts will not.

Which stems from the fact,one supposes,that the only thing that really sustains their societies are-alcohol,illicit and legal drugs,anti-depressants,psychiatrists,social workers and legions of other support workers along with its concomitant psychological basis of 'schadenfreude'-and nothing much else.

Give the Thai girl a break

"Nonsense."

Then we differ.

17 minutes ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Respectful? The Thai device of lowering themselves when passing a pooyay is not respect, it's a throwback from the abject fear of former times. A pooyay is someone who can hurt you.

Showing respect is to show consideration, that consideration can be for something admirable, but it can also be consideration of something dangerous.

18 minutes ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Smiling a real smile at a stranger? Don't know about the places you go, but if you are a foreigner than what you get is probably a disdainful or kee-nok smile.

You're paranoid, Thai's are often shy, they are uncomfortable with strangers and smile to try to hide their embarrassment.

5 hours ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Hmmm. Well, there were 2 Thai girls both acting exactly the same.

Bad day my left foot. Situation normal. Being determined to see no fault is a recipe for getting ripped off in Thailand but hey, whatever your poison....

Hahaha you equate her tossing up a fake smile to a tour bus full of Chinese to getting ripped off in Thailand. Yeah righto mate. I'm not determined to see anything you can see the same fake smile anywhere in the world in the service industry it is what it is. I just don't believe the sky is gonna fall in because the girls smile isn't genuine. Of course it's <deleted> fake ya goose.

18 minutes ago, starky said:

Hahaha you equate her tossing up a fake smile to a tour bus full of Chinese to getting ripped off in Thailand. Yeah righto mate. I'm not determined to see anything you can see the same fake smile anywhere in the world in the service industry it is what it is. I just don't believe the sky is gonna fall in because the girls smile isn't genuine. Of course it's <deleted> fake ya goose.

Bleak, very bleak. Still, you know best.

25 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

You're paranoid, Thai's are often shy, they are uncomfortable with strangers and smile to try to hide their embarrassment.

Look deeper and ask why they are uncomfortable and embarrassed. Do not tarry only at the surface.

And no, I'm not paranoid, just because they're out to get me.

Edited by KiwiKiwi

1 hour ago, KiwiKiwi said:

No, it isn't rubbish, Elgius is quite right and you, I'm afraid are mostly quite wrong. Not a sledge, merely a polite way of saying that in my humble and fraternal but qualified opinion, you are nearly right.

I was out shopping with an American friend once. He wanted to buy a new doormat. I saw some displayed on a shelf, showed my friend and asked; what about one of those? He replied; not suitable, because they have welcome printed on them.

Think that just about sums it all up. How people may appear to others on the outside or want to be judged by others on the outside, maybe totally different to what they`re really thinking on the inside. The Thai smile is similar to a short; HI, or a handshake, or a nod of acknowledgement. They are nice gestures but overall it`s just a show or a way of being polite, but in-fact it means nothing and should never be taken at face value. Too many people are trying to place more into this than there actually is.

• Thanks 1

Just now, starky said:

Hahaha even more hilarious by the amount of posts you have in this thread it is clear you are very upset about something. The arrogant way in which you respond to people and your pseudo intellectual knowledge of body language and the Thai smile is ludicrous. Add to that your haughty air of the old I've been longer in Thailand longer than you chestnut and all that remains is to ask the question who took the jam out of your doughnut.

Ooh, your cutting analysis is OTT - it's humbled me and that's the truth. I think I'll go out and kill myself.

I'm truly sorry about my 'pseudo-intellectual knowledge', and it took such a lot of work to develop too.  But I promise you, it wasn't just to make you feel inadequate, I understand the pain you've had to cope with (since Daddy anyway). But you're probably right, everybody else's knowledge is somehow not as good as our own, it's a  feeling that some people do have..

Still, good luck for when you wander back to Aussie, and try to get a good therapist, there are some things that can be done fairly quickly and I'm sure he didn't intend to be so mean.

Didn't get the thing about jam and the doughnut though, I'm afraid you'll have to explain that.

What's wrong with some of these posters? Get established anywhere in Thailand and once you become a regular, whether it's a vendor,  restaurant staff, a security guard, a shopkeeper, locals; people will give you a smile for nothing. At least that's how it is up in rural Issan, imo.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

I was out shopping with an American friend once. He wanted to buy a new doormat. I saw some displayed on a shelf, showed my friend and asked; what about one of those? He replied; not suitable, because they have welcome printed on them.

Think that just about sums it all up. How people may appear to others on the outside or want to be judged by others on the outside, maybe totally different to what they`re really thinking on the inside. The Thai smile is similar to a short; HI, or a handshake, or a nod of acknowledgement. They are nice gestures but overall it`s just a show or a way of being polite, but in-fact it means nothing and should never be taken at face value. Too many people are trying to place more into this than there actually is.

I don't agree, but I will defend to the death your right to think whatever you want. I'm sure you'll learn about Thais. Not been here very long?

Edited by KiwiKiwi

4 minutes ago, KiwiKiwi said:

Look deeper and ask why they are uncomfortable and embarrassed. Do not tarry only at the surface.

And no, I'm not paranoid, just because they're out to get me.

Is the reason for their being uncomfortable and embarrassed in some way linked to your belief that they are giving me the "kee nok" smile or have you moved on from that idea? 

In my experience, many Thai's are utterly broken, the system is designed to make people submissive and controllable, and it works for a great deal of society, they shuffle around competing with the stranger approaching to be the lowest, smiling shyly if they aren't sure if they were quite low enough for their low self esteem.  It's quite a contrast to the West, where so many are so over inflated that the best they can manage is a condescending snort as they pass, doing their best to hold their head high enough that they are literally looking down on the person they pass.  Its sometimes hard to see which is worse but ultimately I do prefer our own freedom in the West, despite the many who find their head in the sky, for there are no doubt more for whom it is levelling.