My Computer Keeps Freezing

helicoptor

Whatever I am doing on my PC it suddenly freezes up..Mouse pointer disappears and the only way I can reset is by switching off computer..But It happens again after a few minutes..only started happening today.

Also the green light on my pc goes off and the red light comes on.. Can anyone give me some idea as to what the problem is??

Whatever I am doing on my PC it suddenly freezes up..Mouse pointer disappears and the only way I can reset is by switching off computer..But It happens again after a few minutes..only started happening today.

Also the green light on my pc goes off and the red light comes on.. Can anyone give me some idea as to what the problem is??

It could be many things, but I have experienced similar symptoms in the past. On one occasion it was a bust power supply unit and on a different PC overheating of the CPU due to CPU fan problems.

In any case take it to a local computer shop asap. Going on like this could damage your motherboard if the power supply is the culprit.

opalhort

It could be many things, but I have experienced similar symptoms in the past. On one occasion it was a bust power supply unit and on a different PC overheating of the CPU due to CPU fan problems.

In any case take it to a local computer shop asap. Going on like this could damage your motherboard if the power supply is the culprit.

opalhort

I think you are on the money with the power supply, I am now on via remote connection via notebook, Culprit is Thailand excellent electricity supply :o

opalhort

I think you are on the money with the power supply, I am now on via remote connection via notebook, Culprit is Thailand excellent electricity supply :o

Don't you use a UPS?

A UPS is the number one requirement for any serious PC user to protect you from outages and power surges!

opalhort

yes ups are cheap here 2000b roughly for a 1000va unit which will protect pc, screen, printer and router well.

Another culprit id the amount of dust here, about every 3 months the fans and heatsinks need to be cleaned, also check all fans are working, CPU temp can be checked on some motherboards to see if its getting too hot, memory is another one that causes lockups like this, if you have multiple sticks installed pull one out if the MB supports single sticks and see if the problem goes away then replace that stick.

If you are overclocking turn that back to default as well as it heats things up more, an extra case fan can also help reduce failures of CPu's and harddrives.

Usually the "red light" indicates when there's disk activity.

If the computer freezes, and the red light's static, it usually indicates a bad harddrive.

Each time the "search head" of the HD looks for data, the red light will

light up.

If it doesn't find what it's looking for, what you describe happens.

Edited by sabajja

Exactly, you have to know exactly what each light is indicating.

On most machines, red is disk activity, and green is power.

Green going off could offcourse indicate a bad ps as well, strange though

how the red could stay on ?

Guessing here offcourse, we have to know exactly what each light means before making any sense of it.

Edited by sabajja

SOUNDS like a hardware problem, if you can remove/disconnect everything you can from the sytem that still allows you to start up, network cards sound cards usb devices extra hardrives so you are left with a minimum configuration, then start up and see if problem persists, if it does then start system in safe mode and see if you still have problem, if you still have problems then your fault is not going to be easy to find, it could be anything from memory - motherboard - power supply - harddrive - overheating (fans not running but should be a warning), personally i'd go for a GPU or CPU fan not running.

if you boot up and don't do anything does it still freeze up.

Look in the event log and see if there are any message that might shed light.

My new notebook used to hang and the log showed that it was a disk problem.

With a new disk fitted all is well.

I bet the power supply is fine but an internal fan has stopped working. Had that happen to me on two separate occasions with similar results.

First time was a simple fan failure and cured again with a replacement.

Second time it was a simple case of a gecko inserting themselves where they didn't belong. Poor little guy lost his life as a result. :o