Herbal Blood Pressure Cure Readily Available in Northern Markets...

Hardie

A few months ago I had a conversation in this forum with some people about herbal remedies for high blood pressure, which I was experiencing at the time, at about 170 systolic for probably a year. As usual I got on the thread 2-3 days late, and was surprised that no one had mentioned hibiscus, aka roselle, rosa jamaica, 'red zinger', and the main ingredient in the red Thai street drink 'nam krachiap', น้ำกระเจี๊ยบ...

Well, no one knew too much about it, though there were some reports of it being available at Makro in Chiang Mai, I believe. So by this time, when I finally got serious about a cure, and could actually feel some symptoms, I was in Cambodia and couldn't find the flower anywhere, in dried or any other form, and my limited Khmer language abilities not too helpful. So I resolved to look diligently once I got back to Chiang Rai, even though none of my contacts knew anything about it, and I wasn't really even sure what to ask for...

Well, cut to the chase, and I'm happy to report that it IS readily available in the main market in Chiang Rai, and I assume elsewhere, also, at least in the north. In the US, I'd always known it as 'hibiscus', but there are many varieties of that, and 'roselle' is indeed the correct name for the variety you want, hibiscus sabdariffa, i.e. ดอกกระเจี๊ยบ, dork krachiap', fifty baht for the standard size bag which should last a week or two...

Best of all: it works! After three weeks of a daily serving of beets (next best natural treatment) and only a week of the roselle drink, my systolic reading was down to 155, so well on the way back to a safe level. Back in LA now, I notice that this is about the same price as the price in Mexican-oriented supermarkets, $3/lb, so good to know. I hope this is helpful, as it's been tested head to head with pharmaceutical HBP meds, and performs as well or better. I'd look in the main markets up north and elsewhere. In Chiang Rai the stands that sell it are located near where the songthaews leave...

Good luck!   

IMG_3073.JPG

• Like 2

Roselle was always available in Thailand and is very common. When I was chatting with my wife months before I ever met  her, she was recommending me this for blood pressure. It is so common in fact, every food court serves the sugary version and you can always find it.... everywhere. Is it really different in Chiang rai? 

BTW, it didn't lower my blood pressure at all.

1 hour ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Roselle was always available in Thailand and is very common. When I was chatting with my wife months before I ever met  her, she was recommending me this for blood pressure. It is so common in fact, every food court serves the sugary version and you can always find it.... everywhere. Is it really different in Chiang rai? 

BTW, it didn't lower my blood pressure at all.

Roselle is common or 'nam krachiap' is common? 'You're conflating two different issues. 'Nam krachiap' is common, yes. That's why I was inspired to look for the dried flower. But dried roselle? I don't know. They aren't the same thing. One is a drink; the other is a flower, usually dried. I would hope that the drink is made from the dried flower, but I don't honestly know that, as it's a profession I'm not intimate with. Is every orange drink made with real oranges? Even if it is, that doesn't mean that the dried flower is available everywhere, nor that I could readily find it. It might be, but I doubt it: trade secrets.

If you were drinking 'nam krachiap', then I'm not surprised it didn't lower your blood pressure, though that's a question I had, might've even tried that if beets weren't readily available at Big C. I bought all they had. Hibiscus tea, or even 'red zinger', made from dried roselle will definitely lower blood pressure, assuming it's high in the first place. It's well-proven scientifically, tested head to head with pharmaceutical meds. Sounds like your wife knows her 'yah samoonprai', ยาสมุนไพร, that's a good skill to have...

Are there any more peer reviewed medical journal articles on this?  Maybe my Google search isn't focused enough.  I find one WebMD article from 2008 where the quoted Dr. is interested but more study needed.  That was 10 years ago, so wondering if that was done. 

Past AHA president Robert H. Eckel, MD, says that more study is needed to determine whether herbal tea's blood-pressure-lowering effect can actually be sustained over the long haul.

https://www.webmd.com/heart/news/20081110/hibiscus-tea-may-cut-blood-pressure#1

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hardie said:

Roselle is common or 'nam krachiap' is common? 'You're conflating two different issues. 'Nam krachiap' is common, yes. That's why I was inspired to look for the dried flower. But dried roselle? I don't know. They aren't the same thing. One is a drink; the other is a flower, usually dried. I would hope that the drink is made from the dried flower, but I don't honestly know that, as it's a profession I'm not intimate with. Is every orange drink made with real oranges? Even if it is, that doesn't mean that the dried flower is available everywhere, nor that I could readily find it. It might be, but I doubt it: trade secrets.

If you were drinking 'nam krachiap', then I'm not surprised it didn't lower your blood pressure, though that's a question I had, might've even tried that if beets weren't readily available at Big C. I bought all they had. Hibiscus tea, or even 'red zinger', made from dried roselle will definitely lower blood pressure, assuming it's high in the first place. It's well-proven scientifically, tested head to head with pharmaceutical meds. Sounds like your wife knows her 'yah samoonprai', ยาสมุนไพร, that's a good skill to have...

Yes. The dried flower is very, very common.

I can find it in every herbal store here in Bangkok. Also, every royal store (the stuff from royal garden) carries it. My cupboard is full of them from 4 years ago when I was buying them thinking it was magic.

Interesting thread so thanks to the OP. I've got some roselle in the garden and my wife cooks something with it occasionally. I've also had the sweet drink made with it.

But for blood pressure treatment, is it a tea made from the dried flowers that is recommended? Unsweetened of course. 

Hadn't heard of this but will give it a go.

You need to be careful of this type of stuff, natural meds are all very well but the side effects are largely untested.

A few years back there was a weed being touted as a miracle cure for arthritis,  Centella asiatica  (I just saw an article praising it's anti-aging properties... :huh: ).....

37 minutes ago, sceadugenga said:

You need to be careful of this type of stuff, natural meds are all very well but the side effects are largely untested.

A few years back there was a weed being touted as a miracle cure for arthritis,  Centella asiatica  (I just saw an article praising it's anti-aging properties... :huh: ).....

I will take my chances with natural every day over the toxic poisonous Big Pharma.

• Like 2