Over 3,000 new medical professionals dispersed across country

webfact

BANGKOK, 16 May 2018 (NNT) – Thailand's Ministry of Public Health has dispersed over 3,000 recently graduated physicians, dentists and pharmacists across the nation, reminding them to put citizens at the heart of their work. 

Minister of Public Health, Dr. Piysakol Sakolsathayadhorn, launched an orientation session for new medical graduates to select their place of work.

All of the 3,020 new graduates, consisting of 2,070 doctors, 600 dentists and 350 pharmacists, made a pledge to their repay their scholarships through public service.

They are to work at public health centers across the nation, reducing congestion and waiting times at hospitals. The ministry has created a vision symbolized by “MOPH” to guide the medical staff with M standing for managing oneself, O for originality and use of innovation, P for the public and H for humility. 

The ministry of public health is working with the ministry of education to produce more medical staff for the country in anticipation of Thailand’s transition to an aged society in which chronic illnesses will be a major concern.

They are also working to inspire graduates to return to their hometowns through initiatives such as the Rural Physicians program and the One District One Doctor project.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-05-16

Just for clearity, as there is no background given; this happens every year and has been going on for decades.

Newly grads can repay a lump sum to pay off their educational debt or work for government hospitals and clinics, in a normal position, to "repay" their debt (they do get paid a normal salary for this work and will not have to repay any cash after their 2 year of "community service").

Based on preferences and a lottery system they get assigned a spot. Pick a popular hospital (in bkk or any big city) and there is a chance there are more applicants than positions meaning there is a lottery. The "worst" places to end up (least popular) are tiny towns in the middle of nowhere and the deep south. People who end up here do get a "bonus" though of about 10-20k a month on top of their around 100k monthly salary.

After 2 years they are free to go, which many do. Some go to the private sector, others go work for government hospitals near their parents' house, and some actually really like their small town hospital and stay there. Its a nice way to get work experience, do something back for "the country", and step out of your comfort zone.

My wife did 1 year of work in a tiny town where there wasn't even a supermarket besides a tiny shop inside the hospital. She actually kind of liked it although she got bored outside of work quickly. After a year she started a specialization in another government hospital (in a larger city) which meant no need to repay any money.

Edit: obvious problem with this method is that there are tons of tiny hospitals which completely depend on this to get staff. They only have inexperienced doctors who will leave as soon as they gained some experience. What they need is a stable group of experienced core staff they can build on, not only newly grads who leave after 1 or 2 years 

Edited by Bob12345
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Ministry of Public Health has dispersed over 3,000 recently graduated physicians

And this say´s what? That you should be careful about their professional skills, or that people in this country get to be medical professionals without any experience?

4 minutes ago, Get Real said:

And this say´s what? That you should be careful about their professional skills, or that people in this country get to be medical professionals without any experience?

Once you complete your 6 years of education to become an MD you are a medical professional. It does not say anything about experience or how "professional" you are, its just a job description.

Yes, my step-son is doing this at the moment - he's out at a medium sized hospital in Isaan just about to start his second year there. Otherwise he would have to repay about half a million Baht and he's quite enjoying the experience. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

Once you complete your 6 years of education to become an MD you are a medical professional. It does not say anything about experience or how "professional" you are, its just a job description.

I can not care less about some idiotic ways of descibing a person that just completed an education. To me a professional at work is a person with several years of experience.
So, you can continue be fooled of what the paper say, meanwhile a keep on trusting my judgement.

14 minutes ago, Get Real said:

I can not care less about some idiotic ways of descibing a person that just completed an education. To me a professional at work is a person with several years of experience.
So, you can continue be fooled of what the paper say, meanwhile a keep on trusting my judgement.

Only the first 2 years of the medical degree are theoretical. The next 3 are in hospitals attending to patients under supervision and in the final year they are allowed to treat patients on their own. It's almost identical to the Uk system although the names of the stages are different.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Get Real said:

Along with many of those that have bought their way through university.Ten to One that most registered medical nurses in The UK or The US would be bettered qualified then these clowns. My opinion.

Edited by AsiaHand

6 minutes ago, AsiaHand said:

Along with many of those that have bought their way through university.Ten to One that most registered medical nurses in The UK or The US would be bettered qualified then these clowns. My opinion.

No, this is the People from the government medical schools who got scholarships - those that bought their way through did so at the private fee  paying med schools.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, AsiaHand said:

Wow! I guess you just came with breaking news! opps! That´s something that everybody already knew. So, just to correct you a little bit it´s actually 10 to 0.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tebee said:

Only the first 2 years of the medical degree are theoretical. The next 3 are in hospitals attending to patients under supervision and in the final year they are allowed to treat patients on their own. It's almost identical to the Uk system although the names of the stages are different.

Sure, You want to tell me something else that I not already know? Still not makes a person professional in my world. That is also what we are seeing everyday in the Thai hospitals.

On Wed May 16 2018 at 2:43 PM, tebee said:

Yes, my step-son is doing this at the moment - he's out at a medium sized hospital in Isaan just about to start his second year there. Otherwise he would have to repay about half a million Baht and he's quite enjoying the experience. 

whilst not casting aspersions on the young man, an aspiring doctor from a big city, a few good looking nurses from ban nok and its gonna be a race on who can get prego first if hes not carefull..