Bangkok overrun by a million rats - lack of snakes and lazy cats to blame!

webfact

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Bangkok overrun by a million rats

After the lame Miami, and Riviera comparisons, here is another missed chance by the TAT:

8b6a67ab-1b9d-49f0-a1e4-505669d466e7_zps

Edited by Lupatria

10 hours ago, RotMahKid said:

Lazy cats or lack of snakes to blame? I only blame the persons who left this bag there out in the open. The only you can blame for the dirt  are people, they made that BKK became a dirty, smelly city. The rats are only looking for food, if you take that away the rats will go also. That make a city clean!

You're not talking to Thais, are you ?

talking of garbage,,  TRUCKS,,  do they ever clean of fumigate them.christ you can smell them from a mile away, riding up beach road the other day, what the hell is that smell, yep, knew it, garbage truck, you can see just by looking at them they are never hosed down and cleaned

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

talking of garbage,,  TRUCKS,,  do they ever clean of fumigate them.christ you can smell them from a mile away, riding up beach road the other day, what the hell is that smell, yep, knew it, garbage truck, you can see just by looking at them they are never hosed down and cleaned

I think they should all be fitted with a water tank and hose so that they can hose down the pavement and gutter as they go along ...I do see the water lorries but there seems to be no coordination between the 2 activities....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Darcula said:

Clearly, they must've heard about the hub of gastronomy, and they're here for the Michelin star street food.

Absolutely, the vendors washing their dishes, pots, and pans on the street is why they are so filthy and obviously what attracts the rats. There is a reason for the custom of taking your shoes off before entering the home in Thailand. 

1 hour ago, Jeremia Juxtaposed said:

And when they don't pay him...????

Good question, maybe, just, maybe he'll play a Luktung song and all the 'town host and hostesses' in Pattaya will follow him to Los Angeles.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

About a year ago Pratunam was looking quite good as the rubbish was being cleaned up every day.

Now it is lazy cats fault, maybe a rubbish clean-up of BK and some rat poisoning programme may help.

rat poison will serve two purposes, reduce the rat population as well as the Soi Dog population........win win

Its all the street stalls that are responsible for the rat invasion. I stopped eating at these places after I spotted a rat the size of a cat , eating from the "kitchen" where they prepare the food. 

The locals don't care and foreign tourists  that continue eating must be ignoring the rats , it's not funny. You can get some serious diseases from rats.  

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQm2v6S9CoGSEs6QkXeUO6

Edited by balo

17 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Get the street vendors and food stalls off the streets. Clean up the trash. Round up the soi dogs. Close the wet markets.

No more rats the lizards and snakes will go away.

Now here someone has really hit the nail. Nobody else. Watch street food vendors dump their refuse into chipped off concrete slabs over gutters daily and perpetually - as far as I can remember over fourty years plus. When you see the rats crawling out at dark in the alleys in the hundreds then you know they have a problem. Neat on themselves, but all the rest is not important. Feeding the rats - main cause : food vendors. Get rid of food vendors is out of the question. Therefore the problem of a rat plague is increasing. Saw that also in Penang btw. Solution ? Noone has it. 

10 hours ago, Ban Phe Dezza said:

Sorry Happy man  

He is back with us and nothing I say changes that

I now request Room rent from his Mum who has an Income

Little I can do except vote with my Feet 

Well, there be lots of farangs who have to go through this. You are right you can argue to you are blue in the face and everything you say goes in one ear and out the other. Has the lazy prick got a job? Thais mum still class their kids as kids still even at 34 years of age. Well, you are lucky like myself least I don't have her extended family move in with you like some farang have to put up with. Wife only has 2 brothers and you never see them.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, webfact said:

There is plentiful food too and cats are also being blamed for not working hard enough.

I can believe it... saw a cat being taunted by a scrawny rat earlier this evening. I was expecting the feline reflexes to kick in and for it to pounce at any moment, but in the end it couldn't be bothered. 

12 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Indeed.  Weekly rubbish collection is hit and miss where I live.  In 2 days time, it'll be 2 weeks since they last came around.

Try to put the veg/fruit shavings and leftovers in the garden, not the bin.  Recycle everything that can be, the old boy comes around on his push bike to collect every few days.  But after nearly 2 weeks, the sois are looking grim as the house bins are overflowing.

Funny we should mention about the garbage truck coming around. I try to be observant and work out which day they come around. Which is the normal thing to do. Back home it use to be every Friday morning Never fail. Here it start off  Mondays So being a good citizen i use to put my rubbish out at that day. Was ok for about 2 weeks then no collection. Why? They had decided they  change the day and it was the Friday but never told anyone. So nobody had rubbish out  When it was discovered it was Friday and the rubbish  went out they went back to Monday  I think the idea to all this why they cant make up your mind which day it is when they come around there is no rubbish to collected hence have an easy day

On a serious note my concern would be if the situation is as bad as it is being reported or it is worse and being down played. I do not think we will see a bubonic plague or Black Death as it was known

• (Transmission occurs via fleas that feed on infected animals, typically wild rodents.) but then again nobody ever thought the world would see a condition like ebola which is back. On the other hand, in many places in India rats run rampant like monkeys and are worshiped. This is an extremely serious condition and blaming the situation on lazy cats or relocated snakes does nothing to resolve the condition. 
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jimdandy said:

I do not think we will see a bubonic plague or Black Death as it was known

Bubonic plague was caused when they tried to kill all the rats and the fleas has nowhere to live (not on the rats), so the fleas moved to humans , causing the BP

7 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Bubonic plague was caused when they tried to kill all the rats and the fleas has nowhere to live (not on the rats), so the fleas moved to humans , causing the BP

Yes, yes. That is why I said I do not think we will see it, but I wonder what could happen if someone is bitten by rats. As a kid growing up in New York City there were a few situations where people that were bitten developed rabies. They underwent painful injections and were cured but the thought of that happening is not good.I just hope the government agency responsible will be proactive. I stopped eating at many street venues.