Bangkok Post Stands By Sackings

george

'Bangkok Post' stands by sackings

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Post issued a statement yesterday defending its decision to fire two senior journalists in 2005 after an internal inquiry into a "misleading" article about runway cracks at the new airport.

The statement came amid growing reports by local and international media about former chief reporter Sermsuk Kasitpradit and former news editor Chadin Thepaval being possibly vindicated for having warned the public about the problem.

"The truth is, the company's position proceeded in accordance to the [investigation] committee [decision] that the two had not performed their duties appropriately," the statement, in Thai, read.

The paper also insisted the fact the runway now has many cracks didn't necessarily mean its page-one story in August 2005 by Sermsuk was correct.

When contacted by The Nation, Sermsuk reacted to the statement with a laugh and said the investigation also contained several inaccuracies. "I think they [the Bangkok Post] are being pressured by society. They lost face. Irregularity began when they fired me. Even the [investigation] committee didn't recommend dismissing me but to take disciplinary action. But when it reached [then editor] David Armstrong, he said it was a grave mistake," he said.

"The matter is now in [the labour] court. So I now understand there will be no settlement. I now hope the court ruling will set a standard."

Sermsuk claimed he was a victim of political interference under Thaksin Shinawatra's administration and unfair treatment by his then editor.

"When the incident occurred, Armstrong was acting editor. Now he's the CEO. When I said he must take responsibility, I think he felt bad and upset."

The Post statement also said Sermsuk and Chadin "accepted to the investigating committee they were sorry for their mistakes". Sermsuk said yesterday what he said in 2005 was "if some failures took place, then I'm sorry".

--The Nation 2007-01-31

BKK post, you were too harsh and politically influenced by Mr. 'strong-arm' Thaksin! Even it the article in question was not 100% bona fide by journalistic standards, you could have issued a reprimand and kept the two men on the their jobs.

I could point out articles in any issue of BKK post (and other newspapers) that have faulty info and arent' up to ideallic standards. If you were a building contractor, are you going to fire a good carpenter if he takes an extra ten minutes on his lunch break?

BKK post loses face and points in my view. DO THE RIGHT THING - REHIRE THE TWO MEN (if they want the jobs back) and eat some crow if need be. ...say it was political pressure - which it was.

When contacted by The Nation, Sermsuk reacted to the statement with a laugh and said the investigation also contained several inaccuracies. "I think they [the Bangkok Post] are being pressured by society. They lost face.

Well I am starting to lose respect for the Bangkok Post now. I wonder if circulation will drop off now because they punish journalists who report what they see. I don’t think I would waste my money on a publication that endorses that policy as the news would tend to be inaccurate.

Well I am starting to lose respect for the Bangkok Post now. I wonder if circulation will drop off now because they punish journalists who report what they see. I don’t think I would waste my money on a publication that endorses that policy as the news would tend to be inaccurate.

Right enough. They have lost all journalistic integrity already. Governments come and go here pretty quickly, and I don't see why they had to buckle under, even for a despot like the last b@stard.

Bring back Trink. :o

And the Nation is any better? :o

It was very disappointing to read the defence of its own actions in the Bangkok Post today.

The only excuse they could come up was the time-honoured "the paper acted in accordance with the findings of an investigative committee." This is precisely the same technique that every state body uses to defend an allegation of corruption. 1.Set up a committee. 2 Ensure the committee members and most importantly the chairman understand the desired outcome. 3. Delay for a few months to take the heat off. 4. The committee announces a verdict exonerating the very people who selected the committee members. 5. The accused can then deflect any further outcry by blaming the committee.

Forget that paper. I used to like it a lot more. In recent years so much of Thailand's media has become worthless. Have you heard the news? No. I thought so.

From the most free media in asia to the almost the most timid. Still better than the rags in Singapore and Malaysia but that's not really the point. I wonder if Mr Armstrong was afraid his visa might be cancelled when he caved in ?

The fault of the initial report was not the cracks but non-existent US experts. Journalists should have been reinstated long ago when it was found the story was intentionally planted by TRT businessemen.

It's not about cracks at all.

BKK post, you were too harsh and politically influenced by Mr. 'strong-arm' Thaksin! Even it the article in question was not 100% bona fide by journalistic standards, you could have issued a reprimand and kept the two men on the their jobs.

I could point out articles in any issue of BKK post (and other newspapers) that have faulty info and arent' up to ideallic standards. If you were a building contractor, are you going to fire a good carpenter if he takes an extra ten minutes on his lunch break?

BKK post loses face and points in my view. DO THE RIGHT THING - REHIRE THE TWO MEN (if they want the jobs back) and eat some crow if need be. ...say it was political pressure - which it was.

When contacted by The Nation, Sermsuk reacted to the statement with a laugh and said the investigation also contained several inaccuracies. "I think they [the Bangkok Post] are being pressured by society. They lost face.

Agree 100 percent. Sontee who exposed this matter in his evening talk on ASTV on Monday is right.

Forget that paper. I used to like it a lot more. In recent years so much of Thailand's media has become worthless. Have you heard the news? No. I thought so.

From the most free media in asia to the almost the most timid. Still better than the rags in Singapore and Malaysia but that's not really the point. I wonder if Mr Armstrong was afraid his visa might be cancelled when he caved in ?

Thaksin cowed the Thai media into "self-censorship" by pulling (or threatening to pull) advertising from their pages; which is the lifeblood of most publications.

I can bet that Mr Armstrong's hand was forced by the paper's shareholders into this cowardly action. Now that ol' squarehead is gone though, he could at least admit this..? Either way, I'm not buying the watered-down BP anymore. It seems to be written by blinkers-on middle-class Thai people who live in a different PC world to the rest of this country.

The Nation has better writers, or editors. Sometimes a Post story will be completely and utterly incomprehensible. The Nation takes more chances in their headlines, with more attack style words. While both are still rather meek, they are certainly more independent than the government mouth peice the TNA.

The Post has a better op ed page, with more syndicated contributions. I don't usually read their editorials but I sometimes read the syndicated writers. They also have more foreign contributions in their Outlook section, with movie and book reviews and other pieces of interest.

Both papers have a nasty habit of burying the lead or dumping the important facts way at the bottom of the story.

Both are decent with general updates on the country and abroad. But in Thailand, if you've spent any time here, you know you'll never get the truth presented to you but are forced to infer and draw your own conclusions.

I think they both did a great job following the Chuwit scandal but then neither asked "who will take responsibility for the suk ten demolition?" It seems those accountable were just left uninvestigated...stories just seem to end without resolution.

What they are both criminal in neglecting is following up on all these government announcements. Everyday a new program or plan or proposal is announced and then just forgotten. What happens to these ambitious plans? I'd like some reporter to count up all these types of announcements and investigate what really happened with them.

Ive lost respect for the lickspittle bkk post a long time ago, thank kerriste i dont have to wast 25 baht on sycophantic rubbish

I get off on TV.C, 4 free

Quite handy though to wrap baguette and keep it fresh for a day or two, absorb oil when cooking a batch of home made french fries. :o

AOT board member backs sacked 'Post' reporter

A member of Airports of Thailand's board yesterday threw his support behind sacked Bangkok Post reporter Sermsuk Asitidit, hinting at an attempted cover-up of the expos้ of runway cracks at Suvarnabhumi Airport in 2005.

Tortrakul Yomnak, the civil engineer leading the current investigation into safety at the airport, sat next to the former Bangkok Post senior reporter at a Foreign Correspondents' Club of Thailand event on Wednesday night.

Tortrakul said he had received information from an engineer that there may have been a cover-up when a team of investigators went to inspect the runway after Sermsuk's story broke in 2005.

Tortrakul said systematic cracks at the airport could mean repairs to 70,000 square metres of concrete surfaces on the taxiways and runways. The best and worst-case scenarios are being prepared, which could see very expensive repairs taking up to three years.

The survey will wrap up next Friday and only then could the team inform the public of its findings "proven by data and not by opinion", he added.

Sermsuk expressed his dismay at being fired after loyally working at the Post for over 20 years, saying he felt he was just doing his duty.

"You report on what you see and what is going on," he said.

He referred to the situation as "my nightmare" and hopes his lawsuit against the paper will be decided by the end of the year.

The Thai Journalists Association (TJA) also gave moral support to Sermsuk and another senior journalist dismissed by the Bangkok Post, Chadin Tephaval, and called on the newspaper's management to treat them fairly.

A Post Publishing statement issued earlier this week defended its move, insisting that it was based on the findings of an investigation committee that Sermsuk and Chadin had not performed their duties properly. The management statement denied the dismissals were the result of political pressure from the government of Thaksin Shinawatra.

The TJA said it was proud of the two reporters. "Our findings discovered that the decision to publish the story on runway cracks for the first time on August 6, 2005 was a joint newsroom decision, which meant the story was approved by people with responsibility and authority.

"We believe the two Bangkok Post senior reporters performed their duties professionally, and we would like to express support and admiration for their dedication to professional duty to serve the public interest."

Source: The Nation - 2 February 2007

Sacked for exposing airport cracks

1_212261_1_3.jpg

"Sawadee Krap. My name is Sermsuk Kasitipradit.

I was once the chief reporter of Bangkok Post, who exposed the story of Suvarnabhumi airport runway.

grow a set yet , mr a??

CITE

Edited by Mid