Disappointing Night at The River Market

suzannegoh

On 6/9/2018 at 10:32 AM, EL159 said:

Apparently the owner of "this chain" has a habit of threatening people who dont say great things about his places! Be careful!

I reckon that libel, I hope he sues you!

40 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

41 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:
On 6/9/2018 at 10:32 AM, EL159 said:

Apparently the owner of "this chain" has a habit of threatening people who dont say great things about his places! Be careful!

Can confirm, as I interviewed with him about a job, met his current chef who informed me he is tight with the BiB

I doubt either of you know who really owns the businesses.

But by all means be careful, you probably have very little idea what you are dealing with.

• Thanks 2

Sorry, but the very definition of libel centers around a "false statement." 

Otherwise, anyone could sue for libel for anything that was written about that person. This would enter frivolous lawsuit territory. 

Still wondering what the problem was with the sound system. Quick to blame it but slow to solve the mystery. 

5 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

Otherwise, anyone could sue for libel for anything that was written about that person. This would enter frivolous lawsuit territory. 

Still wondering what the problem was with the sound system. Quick to blame it but slow to solve the mystery. 

I don't know the legality... BUT... it is against Forum Rules:

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.

Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

1 hour ago, Trujillo said:

Not so, the statement doesn't have to be false, it only has to cause loss, in Thailand at least.

• 1 month later...
On 6/10/2018 at 10:07 AM, Sparkles said:

I guess if you restricted yourself  to dining at only one of the Dukes chain that statement could well be true.

However times have changed in CM.Competition has hotted up to a point where you can discover new culinary treats that leave the Dukes chain for dead unless you are wearing blinkers. Oh and most dont have the "add ons" surprises when you get the bill.

Not trying to be funny but I would like to know of the better places that you eluded to.  I could use a little variety.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Shouldhaveknownbetter said:

Not trying to be funny but I would like to know of the better places that you eluded to.  I could use a little variety.

Have to agree with that.

Whether expats like the Dukes or not, there are virtually no other such western style restaurants, run by westerners in Chiang Mai. If there is, please can anybody name one? And I very much doubt there will be anything similar on the scale of the Dukes, coming to our neighbourhoods soon. Good for the owners, but not so good for us customers that are not exactly spoilt for choice.

Being straight to the point, I stopped eating at the Dukes sometime ago, too expensive for my liking, especially after whacking on 10% service charge and another 7% VAT, which adds on an extra 17% to the prices listed on the menus. But of course when there is hardly any competition, they have it made. But amazingly, I do manage to survive by not visiting these types of places.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Shouldhaveknownbetter said:

If you go to the Chiang Mai Eats and Eat in Chiang Mai groups on facebook you will find a multitude of new restaurants.

Those sites includes reviews.Many restaurants are owned by westerners from all parts of the globe so Cyberfarangs comment is dead set wrong

A search on Trip Advisor will also reveal new and existing options with comments.

CM City Life's monthly magazine "Spoon and Fork" carries extensive reviews of new and long term restaurants.

Nothing against Dukes but there are loads of options out there

Just now, Sparkles said:

If you go to the Chiang Mai Eats and Eat in Chiang Mai groups on facebook you will find a multitude of new restaurants.

Those sites includes reviews.Many restaurants are owned by westerners from all parts of the globe so Cyberfarangs comment is dead set wrong

A search on Trip Advisor will also reveal new and existing options with comments.

CM City Life's monthly magazine "Spoon and Fork" carries extensive reviews of new and long term restaurants.

Nothing against Dukes but there are loads of options out there

Thank You