I Hate My Ceiling

naomisri

We bought three houses a couple of years ago, all done in the same style. We live in one of them and rent the other two and would like to make some improvements. I hope you don't mind me posting for a bit of advice!

IMG_0123.jpgIMG_0121.jpgIMG_0122.jpg

So this is what we already have on our ceiling. It's just not my kind of thing, plus we have horrible strip lights and since I spend most of my time indoors with our baby I have to put up with it most of the time. I'd like to rip out what we have, but above it is just the steel and the roof tiles of the roof.

Any suggestions of what we could put up instead? Something that will keep the cold air in better, look fairly nice, not cost too much and keep the wildlife out! Any ideas on lighting and whether it will cause a nightmare with the electrical wiring?

TIA!

Not clear from your pictures whether the patterned effect is concrete or plasterboard. If the latter change it to plain plasterboard. If concrete you can still attached plasterboard to it, with the metal rod beams. As far as lighting goes, yes get rid of all flourescent lights, I would even suggest all overhead lighting and have table or standard lamps, or uplighting.

Looks like plasterboard, my brother-in-law put the very same thing in his new house. C'mon Naomisri, very flash :o

As for the fluoros you can remove them and replace them with wall sconces, which is what we did in our place. Wasn't too hard to do and not that expensive either, and looks much nicer.

If it is a suspended ceiling then the individual tiles should lift out very easily....remove one and either measure it or take it to a building supply store and ask them what other styles of tiles they have that you could use....the only thing that I can think of to watch for is if you get something that is too heavy which could be a problem if the support system is flimsy and/or if the replacements are really heavy.

Chownah

it's the style which in the west is used only in offices not in any residential properties - because it's the cheapest option thai adopted it everywhere.

it's not nice and (in thai case) it conducts heat from under the roof into the room through the alluminium. You even mentioned that there is no even insullation.

replacing the ceiling with the wooden boards will cost at least hundred thousand and it means tearing the ceiling down together with all the wireing and several weeks of carpenters making the mess in your sitting room.

myself I am in exactly the same situation - my wife decided to put the ugly ceiling to safe money. We will wait when the ceiling get dirty/damaged and when we have some more money to invest.

another option might be masking the ceiling with something - white cloth/fabric material, bamboo or reef mats, large white paper sheets or wallpaper. They would add as well some insulation. Myself I am thinking about the reef mats in a natural colour so they can go with my wooden walls and floor. It won't be the perfect solution but cheap and DIY doable.

They can easily put a gypsum board ceiling and probably use many of the same support wires. Then instill flush round lighting fixtures that you can screw in the new energy saving fluorescent screw base lamps spread around. If you want warm rather than daylight you can have it. You can use one switch to turn on a group of lamps. I would also have them install a layer of fiberglass insulation at the same time.

YEAH that is YUK

It is a simple tile laid in a metal grid and the fastest and easiest option is to swap the tile for a plain tile.

Downlighters could be inserted wherever you like and if these are used the tile should be strengthened by placing a thin plywood patress ont op of the new tile.

Additional wire hangers could and should be provided to carry and additional loads put onto the ceiling grid.

Fibreglass insulation laid over the tile would help cut down heat transfer.

They can easily put a gypsum board ceiling and probably use many of the same support wires. Then instill flush round lighting fixtures that you can screw in the new energy saving fluorescent screw base lamps spread around. If you want warm rather than daylight you can have it. You can use one switch to turn on a group of lamps. I would also have them install a layer of fiberglass insulation at the same time.

Warm white is kinda orangey for my tastes. We use wall scones that dilute the brightness of the daylight ones, and for our overhead, I have a paper Chinese lantern that diffuses the brightness quite well. Gets dirty after a few years but I bought it in the US for $5 so replacing it is no big deal and it looks pretty good.

Thanks for the excellent replies. Anything we do will have to be done by the staff my husband manages as he doesn't see the point in "going outside the family" :o So I have to give exact directions otherwise it's just not going to happen :D

Does he need any extra tiles SBK? :D

So to beautify my lovely ceiling our cheapest option is to replace the tiles and add the layer of fibreglass insulation. Any ideas on the costs?

I've just had a count of our tiles (they're about 60x60 cms) and we'll need about 100 which leads me to believe we need to cover about 40m squared. What sort of width does the fibreglass come in? I will probably get this done first then see whether I can live with it or not. Next step would probably be covering the tiles with bamboo mats as londonthai suggested. Any ideas on whether it would be safe to have bamboo up there with the downlighters?

SBK - I considered the idea of wall lighting - what did you do with the wires? Did you go into the wall or not?

I prefer the idea of taking the whole thing out, but with a baby it might be a bit difficult. That's something to think about later! I think just putting in plain tiles might lighten the room a bit as at the moment the ones we've got look dark because they cast shadows.

Many thanks for all the help ladies and gents. Is it okay if I post a few more threads? I have other exciting questions about parking areas, and tiling...

So to beautify my lovely ceiling our cheapest option is to replace the tiles and add the layer of fibreglass insulation. Any ideas on the costs?

I've just had a count of our tiles (they're about 60x60 cms) and we'll need about 100 which leads me to believe we need to cover about 40m squared. What sort of width does the fibreglass come in? I will probably get this done first then see whether I can live with it or not.

My local Homepro sells the fiberglass in rolls 4m long x 0.6m wide, and various thickness. The thicker the better but the more expensive too. A roll 2 inches thick is priced 170 Bahts, 4 inches is 230 Bahts and 6 inches is 539 Bahts.

In Homepro, better avoid the thin plastic bubble wrap and aluminium foil insulation products. They look tempting but they're not as efficient as the fiberglass.

Swelters made a nice post on house insulation once. Here is the link:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=96650

Actually, at the moment I'm looking for a supplier of insulation material made of "natural" fibers, for example coconut fibers or cellulose fibers. Anyone with ideas?

I've just had a count of our tiles (they're about 60x60 cms) and we'll need about 100 which leads me to believe we need to cover about 40m squared. What sort of width does the fibreglass come in? I will probably get this done first then see whether I can live with it or not. Next step would probably be covering the tiles with bamboo mats as londonthai suggested. Any ideas on whether it would be safe to have bamboo up there with the downlighters?

if you are thinking about bamboo mats you don't have to change tiles - however your sitting room is very large and with only a few windows so bamboo will make it even darker, you will have to put more lights.

downlighters look for me a little office-like, formal, wall lighting more like home

if you are thinking about bamboo mats you don't have to change tiles - however your sitting room is very large and with only a few windows so bamboo will make it even darker, you will have to put more lights.

downlighters look for me a little office-like, formal, wall lighting more like home

I'm just not sure how bearable it would be if I just changed the tiles and the lighting, if it's a vast improvement I could just stop there. I think I'd like a combo of the wall lights and downlighters on different circuits as I do a lot of work (I'm an external uni student) at home so I need light I can work in, but I'd like the wall lights for ambience. It's more difficult having lamps with a young child and candles, forget it :o

Just found this on someone's site! Don't suppose it's someone from here is it?

Ceiling tiles

I don't know how much, or how little, money you want to spend, but you can achieve a nice effect using "sheetrock" (usually called gypsum here) with a drop ceiling and recessed lighting. If you like the bright white lighting effect like you get from fluorescent tubes, you can buy those bright-white low-energy bulbs. Based on the varying estimates I received before re-doing my ceilings last month, I would say about B600 per square meter including the wiring, light fixures and painting.

I paid B52,000 for a 66 sq meter condo but also had on-the-surface electric wires embedded in the concrete walls (in pvc conduit). That price included the crown moldings and three coats of paint. If you didn't want the moldings, and can do the painting yourself, of course it will be cheaper.

If you can use the existing metal hangers used to support the tiles, that might save a bit more money, too.

The workmen that did my condo were in and out in three days, doing two bedrooms and a living room. For a 40 sq meter project it should be two days or less. The gypsum goes up fast, it's the plastering of the joints that takes a bit of time since the joint compound needs to dry between applications. And, of course, time between coats of paint.

ceiling%20composite.jpg

On the other end of the spectrum, is oldoldgit's suggestion to just flip over the existing tiles and paint them (or not!). :-)

Looks great wpcoe. I really like the way the lighting is on the lower level. Is it me or is your painting wonky though?! I'm desperate to straighten it!!

I have no idea what the back of the tiles looks like, but it's my hubbies day off tomorrow so we will be having a look. I figure we could give it a try and it's no great shakes if it doesn't work out. One of our houses is free at the moment so we could start there. Ideally I would like to use sheetrock like you have, so that may be the way to go in the long run. We have three houses to do so it's three times the area, but I'm surprised how reasonable it is. I'll have to investigate whether my husbands staff (he manages about 10 engineers/builders) have done it before, if so it may well work out cheaper, but take 7 times as long :D I've seen them build a house before, but I have a feeling they would have used the same tiles as we have :o

Looks great wpcoe. I really like the way the lighting is on the lower level. Is it me or is your painting wonky though?! I'm desperate to straighten it!!

I have no idea what the back of the tiles looks like, but it's my hubbies day off tomorrow so we will be having a look. I figure we could give it a try and it's no great shakes if it doesn't work out. One of our houses is free at the moment so we could start there. Ideally I would like to use sheetrock like you have, so that may be the way to go in the long run. We have three houses to do so it's three times the area, but I'm surprised how reasonable it is. I'll have to investigate whether my husbands staff (he manages about 10 engineers/builders) have done it before, if so it may well work out cheaper, but take 7 times as long :D I've seen them build a house before, but I have a feeling they would have used the same tiles as we have :o

The painting is whacky and needs straightening!!

Not sure where you live but if there are termites about keep in mind that they will eat the paper backing off your sheetrock/gypsum board.

rgds

I've just had a count of our tiles (they're about 60x60 cms) and we'll need about 100 which leads me to believe we need to cover about 40m squared. What sort of width does the fibreglass come in? I will probably get this done first then see whether I can live with it or not.

My local Homepro sells the fiberglass in rolls 4m long x 0.6m wide, and various thickness. The thicker the better but the more expensive too. A roll 2 inches thick is priced 170 Bahts, 4 inches is 230 Bahts and 6 inches is 539 Bahts.

While I agree that fibreglass insulation is the way to go, I just wonder how practical and efficient it would be with drop ceilings. In Oz, the sheets (batts) are made to a width to fit tightly between the ceiling joists, to minimise the amount of heat getting to the ceiling - and hence to the room below. The problem I see with the drop ceilings is the various support wires, and how to fit the fibreglass sheets around them without a lot of the heat getting to the ceiling tiles.

Any thoughts on this? It is going to be a practical issue for me in the next few months when I move to LOS, and start some renovations on the "family mansion".

jack

SBK - I considered the idea of wall lighting - what did you do with the wires? Did you go into the wall or not?

exposed wires on the walls I am afraid, but the walls are painted white and the wires are painted over so it isn't terribly disfiguring.

Once the original electrical installation has been completed, it is allowable to add to or change the electrical installation. So, you don't have to put up with ugly & exposed wiring on walls etc. As long as you put the cables/wiring in yellow conduit (electrical) on the wall before rendering over it, it'll be fine.

This is another gypsum alternative hung ceiling. Cement beams were covered and suspended ceiling raised (sill deep enough for recessed lighting) to provide a higher ceiling/dimensional look. Wood trim is rather expensive but does make look much better.

post-326-1170404513_thumb.jpg

I really like the sheetrock as an alternative, but I think we might have to leave that to our dreamhouse as much likely, if the market will allow it we will sell up in a couple of years, unless we can afford to keep this land on as well by then! I guess we want to get the houses as attractive and easy to live in as poss before we move on, but I don't see a whole lot of point in investing in sheetrock for just the one house as when we come to sell, if we do, I would think it would be better to have each house of similar decoration, unless one was a kind of showpiece for what you could do with them.

As I mentioned in another thread, these properties are mostly thrown together (not by us) for a quick buck (although we know the builder and he does great work so no worriest there), but the most basic ceiling, bathroom, kitchen area etc.

Thanks again for all the great advice and tips. We will replace with blank tiles (unless the ones we have are good enough to paint over the back of) and fit new lighting, then I can take pictures and you can let me know if we need to do more! I think we will insulate, as I liked what swelters had to say about it too, so I can keep you posted on how that works out as well. Now I will just be waiting on the staff to come do it. Ho hum.

Cheers

Edited by naomisri

LOL.....Put 4 inch on top of 2 inch = 6 inch and save 139 Baht per roll.....TIT.....LOL....My advice is take 4 inch at 230 Baht, this is more than adequate. Do not replace ceiling without putting in insulation, you will save the cost (5750) in April & May alone on your electricity bill. As for ceiling, strip it out and replace with plasterboard, have done the same with Thai style roof ie tile and steel trusses. Much better, but don't forget to put an access hatch in somewhere unabtrusive. Not expensive either.

Good luck....TT