Dell Notebooks in CM | Save Me from the Hype

Stubby

Good afternoon, folks.

I'm going notebook shopping later today and have pretty much made my mind up on a Dell. I two questions for the tech heads, please.

#1: Are all prices equal for Dell notebooks in CM. And if not, where should I head out to or avoid?

#2: I only need the most basic computer. Is there a particular Dell notebook I should look out for? 

I'm pretty sure any half-savvy salesperson will pick up on my lack of knowledge within a short space of time. So the reason for question  2 is so I can stay focussed and not get sucked in by hype and end up with far more than I need.

Thanks in  advance,

Stubby

Without saying what you want your "netbook" to do it is not possible to advise on specs.  Basic can cover anything; gaming, streaming, on the move, battery life, easy or factory battery replacement etc. 

You say your are not savvy but then say it is to be a "Dell Netbook".  Why Dell and do you mean "Netbook"  or laptop or tablet? I suggest you sort out your requirements well in advance of going shopping.  As you say any salesman will smell your lack of knowledge  immediately. 

FYI if you are committed to Dell there is a Dell outlet in Pantip plaza who sell legit Dell products and knowledgeable staff. ( I have had some good dealings with them in the past!)

Re prices you must make sure you compare like with like. Just because the machine or price card says "Dell XXX" in two different outlets does not mean it is the same machine.  Could be different RAM, SSD,HDD Graphics etc.  Also make sure it comes with a full operating system, i.e. a legit copy of win10 and not either DOS or LINUX, unless you have a legit older version of Win 7 or 8.1 on another computer that you can transfer the licence from.  Take photos of the spec cards, go home and do some searching. 

PS;  If you wish you can PM with more detail if you don't want to get trolled on here.

Edited by scottiejohn

If the specs that you posted on the other thread are for your laptop and it is still mechanically sound, then it needs only a Solid State Drive.

Perhaps 1800 baht including the fitting at your local ACER service centre.

Will transform the performance.

Don't bother to waste money on a new notebook unless your old one is faulty and don't buy a new notebook that does not have a Solid State Drive fitted or that cannot have one fitted easliy.

1 hour ago, Nick ZepTepi said:

Yeah I agree, a SSD upgrade will give a wonderful speed increase and more RAM will help if the laptop has room.

Sent from my Honor 7x using Tapatalk

I replied to KneeDeep's post in the other forum. I've decided on a basic Dell for 15K, which includes an original license for Windows 10. You guys got me thinking, though, but eight years is still a long time to rely on an old workhorse like this one. It'd need a new battery if I kept it too. I've never actually met anyone who holds on to stuff as long as I do. It's kinda nice to hear from a couple of folks who also like to look after and maintain stuff. Heck, I've still got a Nokia e72 - can you believe that ?

4 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Without saying what you want your "netbook" to do it is not possible to advise on specs.  Basic can cover anything; gaming, streaming, on the move, battery life, easy or factory battery replacement etc. 

You say your are not savvy but then say it is to be a "Dell Netbook".  Why Dell and do you mean "Netbook"  or laptop or tablet? I suggest you sort out your requirements well in advance of going shopping.  As you say any salesman will smell your lack of knowledge  immediately. 

FYI if you are committed to Dell there is a Dell outlet in Pantip plaza who sell legit Dell products and knowledgeable staff. ( I have had some good dealings with them in the past!)

Re prices you must make sure you compare like with like. Just because the machine or price card says "Dell XXX" in two different outlets does not mean it is the same machine.  Could be different RAM, SSD,HDD Graphics etc.  Also make sure it comes with a full operating system, i.e. a legit copy of win10 and not either DOS or LINUX, unless you have a legit older version of Win 7 or 8.1 on another computer that you can transfer the licence from.  Take photos of the spec cards, go home and do some searching. 

PS;  If you wish you can PM with more detail if you don't want to get trolled on here.

Thanks for all that, Scottie John.

I meant notebook. My eyes are too old and too tired to squint into netbooks, tablets, and phablets for very long. The computer is connected to a big screen most of the time, but I still have an easy model to work with for the odd occasions it's not. My usage is MS Office (mostly Word), light internet usage, and all that other popular stuff. No games of high demands for exceptional graphics, etc. Anyway, I asked the advice of K. Kong in Pantip Plaza today and he suggested the Dell i3. I've known him for years and trust his advice ?

Good response, though, and thanks for taking the time to post ?

Stubby

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Nick ZepTepi said:

If your inclined to do so, you can load up one of the many Linux systems on it, experiment, use it as a file server, media server, mine crypto currency etc

Hahaha LOL ? Now you have lost me, Nick ZepTepi, but I'm not going to ask you to expand. Believe me, it's for your own good ? 

Hahaha LOL [emoji846] Now you have lost me, Nick ZepTepi, but I'm not going to ask you to expand. Believe me, it's for your own good [emoji6] 
At least load up Linux mint or Ubuntu, eat to do and you'll have a fully operational laptop afterwards

• Confused 1