The Term 'non-connecting Flights' Is Unrealistic

Do airline workers think they can screen all passengers on domestic flights - so as to not have with connecting flights? Sometimes passengers want options upon arrival - in a serendipitous sort of way - I've d one that.

As for the new airport's woes. Let's watch that we dont' get too carried away not succumb to 'crowd mentality' and jump all over and find fault with everything about the new airport. I personally think Don Muang was a good airport and that smart people working together could find a way for DM to handle ALL plane travel for years in the future. TAT will have you believe that tourist numbers will keep increasing, but I don't think so - they may even decrease significantly - with all the weird stuff that happens in Thailand. How about increasing the handling capacity of Phuket, Samui, Udon, C.Mai and other cities where 90% of tourists go - so they don't all have to get shuttled through BKK. Can Chon Buri/Pattaya handle being a hub? I don't know, because I try to stay as far away from southern beach areas as possible.

A good point and one raised by a correspondant in today's Bangkok Post.

He cited his own case of flying from BKK to LAX (I think - might be wrong but no matter). But he lives in Chiang Mai so will fly CM to BKK. Does this count as a connecting flight? For him it certainly is, but for the airline who knows?

also in today's Bkk post - I found after I submitted the topic-starter - a witty article by Don Ross on Page H3 (Traveller's Tales column). He's noticed that if the proposed split of flight activity between the old and new airports takes place, (which seems certain now), Singapore will wind up being a more comprehensive hub to Thai cities, than the new airport! I know that in Thailand, nobody can fry an egg without checking first with Bangkok, but still - I wonder if the powers-that-be have even considered making major tourist destination cities (C.Mai / Phuket / Pattaya / Udon / Samui) airline hubs in their own right. On second thought, I doubt if any of those municiple runways are long and strong enough to handle a 747 - however, 'where there's a will there's a way'

Not only farang, but many traveling Thai people would welcome the relief of NOT having to go through Bangkok on the way to their regional destination - especially if it means (which it often does) having to do an overnight in BKK - with the obligatory 3 to 5 hour shuttle to and fro.

Bangkok is the center of Thai business and government activity, but does not have to be the center of everything Thai. Best of all would be a series of 'satelite cities' that share the load of universities / government / businesses which all feel HAVE TO BE located there. It's happened in other countries - to relieve congestion/pollution, and it can happen here.

also in today's Bkk post - I found after I submitted the topic-starter - a witty article by Don Ross on Page H3 (Traveller's Tales column). He's noticed that if the proposed split of flight activity between the old and new airports takes place, (which seems certain now), Singapore will wind up being a more comprehensive hub to Thai cities, than the new airport! I know that in Thailand, nobody can fry an egg without checking first with Bangkok, but still - I wonder if the powers-that-be have even considered making major tourist destination cities (C.Mai / Phuket / Pattaya / Udon / Samui) airline hubs in their own right. On second thought, I doubt if any of those municiple runways are long and strong enough to handle a 747 - however, 'where there's a will there's a way'

Not only farang, but many traveling Thai people would welcome the relief of NOT having to go through Bangkok on the way to their regional destination - especially if it means (which it often does) having to do an overnight in BKK - with the obligatory 3 to 5 hour shuttle to and fro.

Bangkok is the center of Thai business and government activity, but does not have to be the center of everything Thai. Best of all would be a series of 'satelite cities' that share the load of universities / government / businesses which all feel HAVE TO BE located there. It's happened in other countries - to relieve congestion/pollution, and it can happen here.

When I went to Chiang Mai last month; both ways I was on a 747-400, so the airport can handle the jumbos...

Thanks,

Randy

When I went to Chiang Mai last month; both ways I was on a 747-400, so the airport can handle the jumbos...

BUT>>> can it take off with a heavy load of fuel required to make even a flight to Tokyo?

Thai Airways used to (still does?) operate seasonal flights non-stop Tokyo to Chiang Mai and Tokyo to Phuket. The return flights to Tokyo go via Bangkok because the runways in CNX and HKT are inadequate to allow a fully loaded 777 to take off with enough fuel for the trip. At least, that's what I read someplace as the reason for the non-stop TO HKT and CNX but not FROM HKT or CNX.

[edited for clarification]

Edited by wpcoe